• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The First Treasury Sized Comic?

18 posts in this topic

How big is that?

I see some Giant Whitman's with 59 cent covers but don't know anything about them.

Also saw a Giant Whitman King Kong that is dated from 1968, but I saw them on newstands tn years later.

The oldest I know a date on is:

Famous Funnies #1 (1934)

001_Famous_Funnies_th_zpsa6353be9.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/comics2/treasury/Golden_Age_Oversized_Checklist.html

Other than that, the answer you want should be:

Limited Collector's Edition (no actual issue number, but commonly assigned as #C-20)

nn_Limited_Collectors_Edition_th_webC20_zpsfdd6c588.jpg

It's one of the very few I don't own from DC & Marvel.

To my knowledge, the largest comic ever made was:

Kiss 4K (Destroyer Edition) #1

Kiss_Photo_zps1051c45f.jpg

I do own the Kiss Comic. It's buried in the back of my closet.

DG

How big is that?

I see some Giant Whitman's with 59 cent covers but don't know anything about them.

Also saw a Giant Whitman King Kong that is dated from 1968, but I saw them on newstands tn years later.

The Wham-O is 14" x 21" which is impressive.

The Kiss 4K Destroyer is a mammoth at 20" x 30".

Famous Funnies 1 is a larger GA book, but not "Treasury" sized - CGC will slab it. The Humor Publishing books from 1933 ( Detective Dan: Secret Operative 48, The Adventures of Detective Ace King, and Bob Scully, the 2 Fisted Hick Detective) were all 9.5" x 12", which is close to treasury size ( approx. 10 x13), the 1935 DC books Big Book of Fun Comics and New Fun #1 were slightly larger than the 70s treasury size ( 10.5 x 15).

There are probably some other tabloid format comics from the early 30s as well, but without staples or a slick cover.

Also, Limited Collectors' Edition C-21 ( Shazam) is I believe the first BA treasury sized book, predating the Spider-Man book by 2 years. ( 1972 vs. 1974)

Oops - missed the earlier Rudolph post, which was the 72 release - not Shazam which was '73 - doh!

Back in the late 1980s, A customer of mine went to DisneyWorld and bought about twenty of these- for his newborn childs college fund. We all laffed at him, but it looks like he got the last laugh. Nice copies of this book seem to be around $100 a pop.

The first 8 of these are quite large

IT says 8.5 x11, but when I saw them in person, they looked bigger...http://www.comics.org/series/111/covers/

I saw other references saying 10" x 15"

But I think that the Rudolph is known as the first real "Treasury" I was lucky enough to get one from Greggy (worship)

I think we may be looking a little too late here for the first "true" treasury... I have a nice copy of the Rudolph treasury, but I've always thought the first examples of the style were about a decade older... in 1961, Racine Press released the Golden Picture Story Book series, which lasted 4 issues: Huckleberry Hound (#1), Yogi Bear (#2), Disney's Babes in Toyland (#3) and Disney Ducks (#4). These are the same size and format as the DC Treasuries, reprinting older material and retailing for 50c.

There's a great resource for researching treasuries, and lots of suggestions for even earlier "firsts"... check out www.treasurycomics.com

I think we may be looking a little too late here for the first "true" treasury... I have a nice copy of the Rudolph treasury, but I've always thought the first examples of the style were about a decade older... in 1961, Racine Press released the Golden Picture Story Book series, which lasted 4 issues: Huckleberry Hound (#1), Yogi Bear (#2), Disney's Babes in Toyland (#3) and Disney Ducks (#4). These are the same size and format as the DC Treasuries, reprinting older material and retailing for 50c.

There's a great resource for researching treasuries, and lots of suggestions for even earlier "firsts"... check out www.treaurycomics.com

I wasn't sure the dates on those. You are probably correct. Regardless, there are other oversized comics from the 30's & 40's. I just don't have the dimensions handy.

The C-20 Rudolph from DC was the one that started the bronze age fascination with oversized comics.

There are other oddball treasuries out there that were not produced by Marvel or DC.

nn_Racing_Pettys_zps2406b365.png

DG

There's a great resource for researching treasuries, and lots of suggestions for even earlier "firsts"... check out www.treaurycomics.com

I wasn't sure the dates on those. You are probably correct. Regardless, there are other oversized comics from the 30's & 40's. I just don't have the dimensions handy.

The C-20 Rudolph from DC was the one that started the bronze age fascination with oversized comics.

There are other oddball treasuries out there that were not produced by Marvel or DC.

DG

Another 'Bob Kane" ghost job?

DG

Another 'Bob Kane" ghost job?

My bet is yes. Did he ever actually draw anything?

DG