• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happens when CGC lists a first app. and its not?

68 posts in this topic

just wondering,

Hulk 271 1st Rocket Raccoon, um no its not.

so on the comments section of Hulk 271 it lists rocket raccoon first appearance.

almost everyone on the boards knows that it isn't, so does CGC stop listing that in the comment section? do they continue to list it?

and this aint the old argument about hulk 180/181 first wolverine, this is 2 totally different books, that came out quite some time apart, for a character who was all but forgotten about for a couple of DECADES, and now he/it is gonna be in a movie and folks want people to spend hundreds on a book that wont be worth toilet paper in another decade(SUCKERS)

So I wonder if there are any other examples of something like this?

and I wonder when and if CGC will change the 1st app of characters after they have already listed it?

almost everyone on the boards knows that it isn't, so does CGC stop listing that in the comment section? do they continue to list it?

This happened with John Byrne's Next Men #21, where CGC noted this as his 1st appearance for quite a few years until board members clarified it wasn't. Meanwhile, there were enough of them distributed throughout the market, you will see listings with the old label and the seller mentioning it is the 1st appearance.

I would send a question/clarification into the Ask CGC area, and ensure to include any details that justify the label change. That's how the Hellboy situation got addressed (and others).

maybe it's the first comic book appearance and not magazine appearance???

(shrug)

Anyway CGC is pretty much a Monopoly, you really think they care what anyone thinks...

;)

well then that would make a Marvel Spotlight instead of Marvel Preview the first appearance of Peter Quill(starlord) wouldn't it?

and if enough people question CGC about something they have to make it right, or they will become PGX(ok, maybe not) but if they make a mistake and refuse to acknowledge it then people will start to lose faith in them, and once you start rolling downhill, its hard to stop.

just wondering,

so on the comments section of Hulk 271 it lists rocket raccoon first appearance.

and this aint the old argument about hulk 180/181 first wolverine, this is 2 totally different books, that came out quite some time apart, for a character who was all but forgotten about for a couple of DECADES, and now he/it is gonna be in a movie and folks want people to spend hundreds on a book that wont be worth toilet paper in another decade(SUCKERS)

and I wonder when and if CGC will change the 1st app of characters after they have already listed it?

Just email/pm Paul about this. He's been on these boards many times and is a good guy.

I have always wondered about the first appearance of Ant Man, to CGC it's TTA#27 however in the comic he is only known as Henry Pym 'The man in the ant hill".

There is the argument that because 8 months later in TTA#35 "Return of the Antman" is on the cover so how can 'return of' be a first appearance which I get, but since there was no reference to 'Ant Man" in TTA#27 how can it be the first appearance of "Ant-Man"? If anything it's Marvels fault for that oversight however in relation to CGC, to be consistent with this flawed logic TTA#27 should then also be "1st appearance of "Giant-Man", "Yellow-Jacket" etc.. but there is no mention on the label of those

My logic has been followed with Cable as in Uncanny X-MEN#201 it describes it as "1st appearance of Cable as Baby Nathan" with New Mutants #87 having "1st appearance of Cable"

So in my opinion TTA#35 should be "1st appearance of Ant-Man" with TTA#27 only the "1st appearance of Henry Pym" or to follow the Cable logic, "1st appearance of Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Yellow-Jacker as Henry Pym"

just wondering,

Just email/pm Paul about this. He's been on these boards many times and is a good guy.

He won't. He is just continuing his Anti-CGC agenda, yet again.

Exact same thing is happening right now with Avengers #54 and #55.

On the CGC label on #55, it says Crimson Cowl revealed to be Ultron. That actually happens in Avengers #54. Ultron appears throughout the book, and on the last couple of pages is revealed to be Ultron. No mention of Ultron on #54.

who cares?

The market is treating Marvel Previews #7 just fine, even without the CGC notation.

There are plenty of cases where CGC doesn't note a first appearance initially on a label because the character is not revealed to be key until years later, and only later versions of the label mention the character's first appearance (someone cited this occurring with some key Walking Dead characters).

"Buy the book not the label" as an axiom can apply to content as well as condition

who cares?

The market is treating Marvel Previews #7 just fine, even without the CGC notation.

There are plenty of cases where CGC doesn't note a first appearance initially on a label because the character is not revealed to be key until years later, and only later versions of the label mention the character's first appearance (someone cited this occurring with some key Walking Dead characters).

"Buy the book not the label" as an axiom can apply to content as well as condition

besides the big # in the corner, who reads anything on the label?

Can someone who was collecting back in the 70s speak to how Marvel Preview Magazine was published/distributed?

Was it on the comic rack with the comics of the day? Was it at other distribution points? I'm just curious. Its magazine size, but was at least partially text and partially illustrated, how was it treated by comic book readers when it was coming out?

Can someone who was collecting back in the 70s speak to how Marvel Preview Magazine was published/distributed?

Was it on the comic rack with the comics of the day? Was it at other distribution points? I'm just curious. Its magazine size, but was at least partially text and partially illustrated, how was it treated by comic book readers when it was coming out?

It was in the magazine section with the other comic type mags(Famous Monsters, Creepy, etc.). The comics were in a separate place(usually a spinner rack).

what happens when CGC lists a first app. and its not?

I believe a baby harp seal is clubbed to death.

If Mantlo himself hadn't years later retconned the Rocky Raccoon character in MP #7 as the same character as Rocket Raccoon in Hulk #271, Rocky would be more accurately considered a proto-type rather than the same character, and MP #7 would be more of a Strange Tales #97 situation than a TTA #27 one.

A closer parallel might be the early Hellboy "appearances" in the GSL Comic-con pamphlet and Dime Press #4. Of interest to completists interested in a character's early development, but barely part of their finally realized form.