• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happens when CGC lists a first app. and its not?

68 posts in this topic

A closer parallel might be the early Hellboy "appearances" in the GSL Comic-con pamphlet and Dime Press #4. Of interest to completists interested in a character's early development, but barely part of their finally realized form.

nice call, I like it.

Can someone who was collecting back in the 70s speak to how Marvel Preview Magazine was published/distributed?

Was it on the comic rack with the comics of the day? Was it at other distribution points? I'm just curious. Its magazine size, but was at least partially text and partially illustrated, how was it treated by comic book readers when it was coming out?

It was in the magazine section with the other comic type mags(Famous Monsters, Creepy, etc.). The comics were in a separate place(usually a spinner rack).

Yup. And alongside any other Marvel mags, like the Hulk and whatever horror titles they were publishing at that point. I mostly saw them in bookcase display units rather than spinner racks.

How was it treated? I'd say it was mostly ignored. The Marvel mags have always been the poor cousin to the comics.

The Marvel mags had their heyday when I was a young collector in the early 70s. My recollection is that they were considered an optional part of collecting Marvel books ( As DP indicates), mainly picked up by horror fans ( as that was the predominant genre) and Marvel completists. Back then, there were no "comic shops" and not all drugstores, carryouts and newsstands carried the B/W mags. I bought them for about a year when I had the brief goal of owning all things Marvel. but I'm sure I missed a few.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Wonder what CGC says. ???

1st appearance of chicken. Cameo of egg.

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

hm :lol: ;)

-slym

Not if we're getting the book of Genesis graded. :banana:

if i remember right cgc used to label dark horse presents#26 as first app. of aliens in comics but its really aliens#1. they also do not list star wars #42 as boba fetts first app.

DHP #24, which you are right in that Aliens #1 is the first comic book appearance of Alien. There is an illustrated magazine appearance before Aliens #1, which was a movie adaptation.

The two stores I bought my comics displayed them in greeting card type displays, and magazines went on the top shelf as they were taller than the comics. This also kept them out of the hands of toddlers, but don't think that was intentional.

Marvel Magazines were with the comics, not he magazines.

I'm sure different places put them out differently.

just wondering,

Hulk 271 1st Rocket Raccoon, um no its not.

so on the comments section of Hulk 271 it lists rocket raccoon first appearance.

almost everyone on the boards knows that it isn't, so does CGC stop listing that in the comment section? do they continue to list it?

and this aint the old argument about hulk 180/181 first wolverine, this is 2 totally different books, that came out quite some time apart, for a character who was all but forgotten about for a couple of DECADES, and now he/it is gonna be in a movie and folks want people to spend hundreds on a book that wont be worth toilet paper in another decade(SUCKERS)

So I wonder if there are any other examples of something like this?

and I wonder when and if CGC will change the 1st app of characters after they have already listed it?

Just email/pm Paul about this. He's been on these boards many times and is a good guy.

He won't. He is just continuing his Anti-CGC agenda, yet again.

If CGC made an honest mistake and no one noticed would there still be a thread generated on the subject :facepalm:

There hasn't been a good "failing to engage in productive discourse" strike in a long time.

They start handing those out than the Mods are gonna ask for overtime.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Wonder what CGC says. ???

1st appearance of chicken. Cameo of egg.

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

hm :lol: ;)

-slym

Not if we're getting the book of Genesis graded. :banana:

Signature Series? (shrug)

just wondering,

so on the comments section of Hulk 271 it lists rocket raccoon first appearance.

almost everyone on the boards knows that it isn't, so does CGC stop listing that in the comment section? do they continue to list it?

and this aint the old argument about hulk 180/181 first wolverine, this is 2 totally different books, that came out quite some time apart, for a character who was all but forgotten about for a couple of DECADES, and now he/it is gonna be in a movie and folks want people to spend hundreds on a book that wont be worth toilet paper in another decade(SUCKERS)

and I wonder when and if CGC will change the 1st app of characters after they have already listed it?

Just email/pm Paul about this. He's been on these boards many times and is a good guy.

it's a legitimate question, I was just wondering about, as far as your comment goes, ttttwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

just wondering,

it's a legitimate question, I was just wondering about, as far as your comment goes, ttttwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

So ... have you emailed CGC about this yet?

just wondering,

So ... have you emailed CGC about this yet?

Yes. (thumbs u

If Mantlo himself hadn't years later retconned the Rocky Raccoon character in MP #7 as the same character as Rocket Raccoon in Hulk #271, Rocky would be more accurately considered a proto-type rather than the same character, and MP #7 would be more of a Strange Tales #97 situation than a TTA #27 one.

A closer parallel might be the early Hellboy "appearances" in the GSL Comic-con pamphlet and Dime Press #4. Of interest to completists interested in a character's early development, but barely part of their finally realized form.

Swamp Thing is a similar situation. The HoS 92 creature was really a prototype until Alan Moore retconned him to be an earlier incarnation of the later Alec Holland creature.

If Mantlo himself hadn't years later retconned the Rocky Raccoon character in MP #7 as the same character as Rocket Raccoon in Hulk #271, Rocky would be more accurately considered a proto-type rather than the same character, and MP #7 would be more of a Strange Tales #97 situation than a TTA #27 one.

Swamp Thing is a similar situation. The HoS 92 creature was really a prototype until Alan Moore retconned him to be an earlier incarnation of the later Alec Holland creature.

Saga of the Swamp Thing #21 - one of the greatest relaunches of a character, ever!

(worship)

it sounds similar to Misty Knight 1st app. She was created by Tony Isabella Marvel Premiere #20/21 (1975) then is later retconned by Claremont (1977) as being some anonymous character in MTU #1 (1972).