• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fullback abrasion?

71 posts in this topic

Something on-topic for CG for a change...

In my old age and OCD'ness, I'm starting to question the ability of a Fullback/Halfback to protect the comic book.

I've pulled comics out in the past and noticed that the backs had a mild degree of scuffing. Not allowing myself to put two and two together until now.

The surface of a Fullback is abrasive. I know it's archival, but it's technically like a piece of sandpaper with a very fine grit.

The standard backing boards that everyone uses has at least one glossy side, which couldn't scratch the surface of a comic.

After weighing the options, I find myself wanting to buy a bunch of the cheap boards to put between my comics and the Fullback, just to protect the comic from being scuffed.

What say the nerdy masses?

If I remember all the threads on the archival safety, the smooth boards are gonna be bad for the books, comparatively, right?

If you are worried about them scuffing the book what about an extra piece of microchamber paper between the book and the fullback.

After weighing the options, I find myself wanting to buy a bunch of the cheap boards to put between my comics and the Fullback, just to protect the comic from being scuffed.

What say the nerdy masses?

The fullback, typically being heavier tends to be a bruiser, unlike a lot of tailbacks. A bigger defensive line and/or linebackers should help.

I wondered this as well. I think you run into a similar problem with cheap boards though. I've noticed that because the cheap boards are slick, tiny pieces of debris can attach via static and rub between the comic and the board and cause abrasions. This can also happen on the front of books in mylars if the book or mylar has any abrasive debris.

Comic into a mylite. Mylite into a mylar with fullback.

Is that not overkill?

hm

-slym

I have seen mylite/halfback combos put into a mylar with a fullback final resting place. It looks good and is pretty much bomb proof. I have to think they would be a beast to get out, the way the mylite plastic "sticks" to stuff.

Is that not overkill?

hm

-slym

Do you want to stop the abrasion or what? :taptaptap:

You're a little salty today...

What about a piece of microchamber paper between the board & comic?

-slym

Probably the most reasonable possibility if you can get the paper cut to the size of the board.

Where are folks buying this paper nowadays?

Is that not overkill?

hm

-slym

I have seen mylite/halfback combos put into a mylar with a fullback final resting place. It looks good and is pretty much bomb proof. I have to think they would be a beast to get out, the way the mylite plastic "sticks" to stuff.

That's what I do except I use the Mylites2.

Comic book goes inside (Mylites2 + Halfback), and this goes inside (Archive + Fullback).

What about a piece of microchamber paper between the board & comic?

-slym

Probably the most reasonable possibility if you can get the paper cut to the size of the board.

Where are folks buying this paper nowadays?

Board member grinin

Is that not overkill?

hm

That's what I do except I use the Mylites2.

Comic book goes inside (Mylites2 + Halfback), and this goes inside (Archive + Fullback).

And still cheaper than a CGC slab.

:whistle:

-slym