• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fullback abrasion?

71 posts in this topic

Comic into a mylite. Mylite into a mylar with fullback.

Is that not overkill?

hm

Do you want to stop the abrasion or what? :taptaptap:

You're a little salty today...

It's OK, I will be his pepper.

:whee:

-slym

What about a piece of microchamber paper between the board & comic?

Probably the most reasonable possibility if you can get the paper cut to the size of the board.

:o

Quoted for posterity - I said something reasonable!

:acclaim:

-slym

-slym

Probably the most reasonable possibility if you can get the paper cut to the size of the board.

Where are folks buying this paper nowadays?

You're as OCD as I am wrt comics, so I don't think you'll like this solution. I've tried it. I had to custom cut each MC paper to fit because it should be the same size as the backing board. It can be difficult to get the book, the MC paper and the board into the bag/sleeve without the MC paper shifting around or lifting up an edge. And then I didn't like the look of it when it was done because things shift around and don't line up nice and square - you need a small margin between the edge of the board and the inside edge of the bag/sleeve, and this allows the MC paper to shift over. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Is that not overkill?

hm

-slym

This is teetering on the edge of going some place weird... :ohnoez:

-slym

You're as OCD as I am wrt comics, so I don't think you'll like this solution. I've tried it. I had to custom cut each MC paper to fit because it should be the same size as the backing board. It can be difficult to get the book, the MC paper and the board into the bag/sleeve without the MC paper shifting around or lifting up an edge. And then I didn't like the look of it when it was done because things shift around and don't line up nice and square - you need a small margin between the edge of the board and the inside edge of the bag/sleeve, and this allows the MC paper to shift over. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

22d1c.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Is that not overkill?

hm

-slym

You'll be my huckleberry :sumo:

-slym

lol

I can't help it.

triw8y.jpg

-slym

lol

I can't help it.

triw8y.jpg

38947724.jpg

Is that not overkill?

hm

-slym

This is teetering on the edge of going some place weird... :ohnoez:

As the Mayor of Creepytown, I fully endorse this message.

I use that method. The only problem with that is that you've isolated the comic from the buffer, which is a main reason to have a fullback in the first place.

One best way around that problem is to put some microchamber paper in between the leaves of the book. I'd use more than just one or two sheets.

Something on-topic for CG for a change...

In my old age and OCD'ness, I'm starting to question the ability of a Fullback/Halfback to protect the comic book.

I've pulled comics out in the past and noticed that the backs had a mild degree of scuffing. Not allowing myself to put two and two together until now.

The surface of a Fullback is abrasive. I know it's archival, but it's technically like a piece of sandpaper with a very fine grit.

The standard backing boards that everyone uses has at least one glossy side, which couldn't scratch the surface of a comic.

After weighing the options, I find myself wanting to buy a bunch of the cheap boards to put between my comics and the Fullback, just to protect the comic from being scuffed.

What say the nerdy masses?

Are these E. Gerber or Bill Cole full-backs? I use E. Gerber full-backs myself. I don't remember the surface being abrasive, but I do remember it having little bits of charcoal visible inside the board. I may not have ever rubbed my finger across those specific areas to even notice the abrasiveness you're referring to. I generally found the surface to be smooth, but if you are also using E. Gerber full-backs, I'll double-check mine.

If you're using Bill Cole full-backs, I'd ask Cole himself about it. I've seen him respond helpfully to issues with his products before, so he may have insight. Ernie Gerber sold his company to Diamond a while back and is dead now anyway, and I've found the current manager of E. Gerber to not be responsive at all to issues with the product. I bought several packages of E. Gerber 4-mil mylars of their "Modern" size, but I couldn't fit one single comic released after around 2000 into them. I asked the current E. Gerber manager if he knew of people having problems fitting Modern comics into his Modern 4-mil bags, and his helpful response was "I don't know how customers use our bags." :makepoint:

But for any scuffing to occur, wouldn't the book need to be moving around inside the Mylar? I can maybe see this happening to books in a dealer's show stock...then again, all sorts of things (much worse than this) can happen to books in a dealer's show stock.

Unless you live on the high seas, or 10-20 feet from a busy railway line, I wouldn't worry about it...

I use that method. The only problem with that is that you've isolated the comic from the buffer, which is a main reason to have a fullback in the first place.

One best way around that problem is to put some microchamber paper in between the leaves of the book. I'd use more than just one or two sheets.

Capture_zpsadfdfb2d.jpg

One more and you're tied. :)

Capture_zpsadfdfb2d.jpg

Do it...It will only hurt for a few seconds. :popcorn:

I'd hate to be forced to use something to protect comics from the archival backing board that's supposed to be protecting them in the first place. :makepoint: I'd rather get Cole or Diamond to address the issue, or I'd consider no longer using full-backs. :mad:

Capture_zpsadfdfb2d.jpg

Do it...It will only hurt for a few seconds. :popcorn:

Establishing once and for all that you're the forum leader in terms of having no life doesn't hurt for a few seconds...it lasts a LIFETIME. :eek:

The E Gerber Fullbacks do have a matte surface, but I've never noticed any scuffing when I've taken one out to read..and I always look the book over just because I like to admire how nice it is.