• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Google Mine as the newnew place to list your collection?

26 posts in this topic

IF we weren't talking about Google, I'd understand the reason for your condescension. But because we are, remember these for a later date: Google referrer traffic, product search and shopping (with assists from G+, Android and Mine). eBay needs Google search, not the other way around. Mobile apps, smartphones are the future and guess who owns Android. Historically rocky relationship between eBay and Google. GOOG is the player in the game of reality dice, always looking to be the dealer that never pays out, and has the best taking the lead from out of nowhere stories.

IF we weren't talking about Google, I'd understand the reason for your condescension. But because we are, remember these for a later date: Google referrer traffic, product search and shopping (with assists from G+, Android and Mine). eBay needs Google search, not the other way around. Mobile apps, smartphones are the future and guess who owns Android. Historically rocky relationship between eBay and Google. GOOG is the player in the game of reality dice, always looking to be the dealer that never pays out, and has the best taking the lead from out of nowhere stories.

+1

Google Mine apparently will let users catalog what they have, list it to share with friends in their Google+ circles, post photographs of their possessions in a Mine album, track conversations, send requests to borrow friends' possessions, share their possessions, find people to give their stuff to, track their belongings, and follow, browse and search what their friends are sharing.

Users will be able to change the status of the objects listed to, for example, "lent," "given away," "got back," or "lost it."

Google Mine will let users post videos about their belongings, write reviews of items, add items to a wishlist, and ask other people to send them stuff by creating a post to their Google+ stream that's visible only to both parties.

"I'm not sure people will want to share their jewelry, though there are people who want to share guns," Enderle told TechNewsWorld.

"Anyone who uses this service should understand that the information can and will be used by Google. I just don't see the value to the consumer other than to brag about what they have," he added.

"This could be a gold mine for Google," Retrevo's Eisner told TechNewsWorld, because it will let the company provide more fine-grained data to advertisers. "But not so much for users."

:eyeroll:

"This could be a gold mine for Google," Retrevo's Eisner told TechNewsWorld, because it will let the company provide more fine-grained data to advertisers. "But not so much for users."

lol

If this guy is so concerned about Mine, he should call the WHAAAMBULANCE on Facebook.

If I recall correctly, it is very easy to locate someone with three pieces of information: zip code, birth date and gender. What type of info is requested when you complete an email address hm

Yeah, I don't think I want to go around advertising my belongings.

What a lot of people don't know is that images contain metadata on them which in itself can provide private information on the person and their location. This is nothing new and has been going on for as long as people could take pictures on their smartphones or mobile devices. People already share photos on forums, marketplaces, and social media sites. Whatever their intentions (advertising or gloating), the best solution is to stay off the internetz if you're concerned about your privacy. Period.

What a lot of people don't know is that images contain metadata on them which in itself can provide private information on the person and their location. This is nothing new and has been going on for as long as people could take pictures on their smartphones or mobile devices. People already share photos on forums, marketplaces, and social media sites. Whatever their intentions (advertising or gloating), the best solution is to stay off the internetz if you're concerned about your privacy. Period.

True and companies are building databases for face recognition off of the very photos we post. Companies also "train" user to tag their photos so they can locate them easily. It is not a matter of staying off the internet. User information databases are already on the internet without individual consent. It is a matter of users being smart enough to select what information they do release out for marketers to use.

There are ways to limit what is shown. A PO Box is a good step to protecting your address, but it isn't always full proof. I do not advertise what I have in my collection however, 95% of what I have is not stored in my home. I also limit my exposure on Facebook to close friends and associates; and do not display pictures of myself or anything.

Ironically, I have no problem with the Government reading my emails or supposedly spying on me. I have nothing to hide. It is true that I am generally by nature a private person, but I still believe that you as an individual should have some control in how your identity and reputation are used online. Luckily there are now multiple laws that were not on the books back in 2001 that are now taken seriously; at least in the United States.

In conclusion I do agree that if you don't want it known then don't post it. That being said, there has to be some responsibility for those that work to abuse this information.

Just my two cents.

True and companies are building databases for face recognition off of the very photos we post. Companies also "train" user to tag their photos so they can locate them easily. It is not a matter of staying off the internet. User information databases are already on the internet without individual consent. It is a matter of users being smart enough to select what information they do release out for marketers to use.

This is part of it. The other is technology moving faster than people's inclination to be objective about the implications from "marketed" uses.

We all know the "this thread is useless without pics" phenom. Recently on another hobby forum I frequent, someone posted about a "secret" honey hole of a spot where they found old coins, some dating from the 1800's. Of course it didn't take long after the original post for the person to show what they found.

Within a few minutes of them posting the first image, I not only knew the exact global positioning of the spot, I also knew it wasn't their home address because I was able to compare the number assigned to the serial number of their smartphone.

I'm certain I'm not the only person who could mine this information from the single image they shared. This is one example of many where I'd be particularly cautious about sharing a photo, especially since that particular hobby has a known problem of people raiding good, productive hunting grounds.

That being said, there has to be some responsibility for those that work to abuse this information.

I "deactivated" my Facebook profile in 2007. I used an email specific for that profile, and did not use that email for any other purpose or reason. To this day, I know the spam I get on that account is specfically coming from 3rd parties who do virtual handshakes with Facebooks harvesting of membership/user/shared data.

I should also tell you that I had very specific user controls and settings on my Facebook account which should have meant only allowing followers (friends/family) access to my personal info, and yet, I now have strangers contacting me about services and promotions specifically targeting activity from 6 years ago that was posted on my wall, convo through privates messages, etc.

I just thought you and others who are on Facebook should be made aware of how "responsible" they are with users personal information.

This is part of it. The other is technology moving faster than people's inclination to be objective about the implications from "marketed" uses.

We all know the "this thread is useless without pics" phenom. Recently on another hobby forum I frequent, someone posted about a "secret" honey hole of a spot where they found old coins, some dating from the 1800's. Of course it didn't take long after the original post for the person to show what they found.

Within a few minutes of them posting the first image, I not only knew the exact global positioning of the spot, I also knew it wasn't their home address because I was able to compare the number assigned to the serial number of their smartphone.

I'm certain I'm not the only person who could mine this information from the single image they shared. This is one example of many where I'd be particularly cautious about sharing a photo, especially since that particular hobby has a known problem of people raiding good, productive hunting grounds.

It is scary how quickly new ways of using technology is cropping up. Gives you something to think about. No one is going to share pics anymore of their finds :eek:

Luckily for me I only collect junk.

That being said, there has to be some responsibility for those that work to abuse this information.

I "deactivated" my Facebook profile in 2007. I used an email specific for that profile, and did not use that email for any other purpose or reason. To this day, I know the spam I get on that account is specfically coming from 3rd parties who do virtual handshakes with Facebooks harvesting of membership/user/shared data.

I should also tell you that I had very specific user controls and settings on my Facebook account which should have meant only allowing followers (friends/family) access to my personal info, and yet, I now have strangers contacting me about services and promotions specifically targeting activity from 6 years ago that was posted on my wall, convo through privates messages, etc.

I just thought you and others who are on Facebook should be made aware of how "responsible" they are with users personal information.

I thank you greatly for the info. I was not aware that Facebook still had these issues. I never post all my personal info on Facebook and as previously stated, pictures are never uploaded or used. I actually used it in college to communicate with professors and the like and kept it active to facilitate communication between work and business associates as well.

That is one of the many reasons for which I never liked MySpace, Facebook, or such things since their day one. I only created an account on Facebook to get in touch with a person I wished to contact (and had no email or phone number), and I use it merely to contact people I could not contact otherwise. But of course, my profile on Facebook contains data that is not my data. It’s fictional. :)