• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Google Mine as the newnew place to list your collection?

26 posts in this topic

Lucent Technologies did a study in the late 90's about anonymity. Their conclusion was that the best way to stay anonymous was to blend into a crowd. At the time, that would have been acting like an AOL user. Once you do anything that is outside of what the majority is doing (like posting in a privacy/security related thread) you start to stand out.

You don't have to be doing anything illegal for data to be manipulated against you. I was advocating the use of firewalls on a personal computer in the late 90's. People ridiculed me. Now it is standard with windows and they are built into routers. That didn't stop people from taking my message and trying to silence it. The web is being filtered even now. Your search results are skewed in a manner that Google can hand you over to their advertiser that want your money. You are Google's sacrifice so that they may grow and become bigger.

I was just telling someone that I'd installed their eBay app on a web page and Google killed all search results from pointing to my web page. These large companies are fighting invisible battles with your personal data and habits online.

Data mining and tracking of your personal info online should be equated with what it really is... stalking.

Would you want someone walking into a grocery store switching out the entire experience of what you see as you turn the corner? You might be looking for cat food, but since you bought dog food last week, the store won't show you the cat food selections!? The advertisers are deciding what you can and can't see. The search engines are deciding what you can and can't see.

Your world is being shaped for you and my bet is that they aren't doing you any favors.

DG

Just read a study at work the other day--Google and other comanies are now able to identify unique users just from the profile of their computers w/in reasonable accuracy. No IP addresses, no cookies, no nothing--just your browser, OS, processor, etc.--the most basic info which computers share wtih each other and which we assume is anonymous--the more info in your machine's profile, the easier it is to track your on-line habits.

You will be assimilated (I'm pretty sure the tense is wrong)