• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get ready for the 90s all over again - comic book speculators are on their way

41 posts in this topic

I looked at a huge collection this weekend with tons of passerbys. These were people clearly not knowledgable of comics.

I talked to a few and they were clearly looking to buy based on the low cover price of the issues. I could hear people stating they wanted anything below 25 cents. It's a pretty simple search, but potentially effective.

That told me things are getting weird again. In my opinion, it's as much a cause of shows like Pawn Stars, Toy Hunter, and American Pickers as it is the superhero movies.

Pat

I've had a couple similar experiences. I met up with a guy who was selling his Uncle's collection that her inherited. He said "I was told that if the cover price is 30 cents or less, I would have money on my hands. Most of these are 35 and up, so I'm just selling everything for 50 cents a book"

Whoever told him that gave him bad advice, as I picked up dozens of key issues from the 70s - 90s for 50 cents a book.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, one guy had X-men #1-90 for sale for $4000. Keep in mind, this is the X-Men series from the 90s!

I was also at an Auction recently where they were auctioning off about 150 different Long Boxes filled with Random comics. Some guy got stuck having to take 35 long boxes FILLED with copies of X-Force #1, X-Men #1, and other inflated 90s stuff.