• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction bidding

30 posts in this topic

Here's the story.

I wanted a particular pedigree book that was in a recent auction. I originally bought the book from this dealer back in 1995 but returned it because of some writing I wasn't expecting. So the book has been sitting on his site ever since his site was created. The dealer has owned the book from 1995 or earlier and never sold it. This year the book was pulled from the site and was graded by CGC and it went into their auction with no reserve. I bid on it and kept getting bid up on it, so I stopped bidding because I felt something was not right. It was going too high compared to the other pedigree copies I had recently bought. I ended up being the underbidder.

Sure enough, today the book is back on the dealers site at EXACTLY the same price as it was when it was raw. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed about this.

Would have to know the circumstances of how it ended up back on his site, but on the surface it doesn't look good...you would think they would put a note on it "recently auctioned, high bid X - buyer fell through re-listing at X."

Only legitimate explanation I can think of is that the high bidder never paid...

Johnny

Really pointless post without listing the site and book IMO. If your going to make a fuss then it's all of nothing if your not willing to name names then don't bother posting about it.

James G

Really pointless post without listing the site and book IMO.

I disagree, James - the OP is a highly respected and experienced collector, and when he raises an issue then I listen (and am interested in further discussion).

There have been several recent discussions on the Board about auction house shill bidding, so another reminder for bidders to be cautious can't hurt.

If your going to make a fuss then it's all of nothing if your not willing to name names then don't bother posting about it.

You replied to me, so I'll clarify - I personally have not researched this issue (I completely ignore the CC site and have zero desire to go there - for any reason), so I won't be providing the information you seek.

I'm trying to come up with a scenario that could explain your experience but I'm struggling. If the auction was on ebay perhaps the winning bidder didn't pay and the owner kept the book. If the book was on Heritage, comiclink or comicconnect I have to think non paying bidders are very, very rare.

Could you name the auction site?

We know that all books can't be desired by every collector but some obtain some fantastic bucks in auctions due to shilling and anybody that doesn't believe this is just fooling themselves :devil:

I left out the book and the dealer on purpose. Why? Naming the dealer or book does not change the facts or events as they occurred. I typed out the scenario as it happened. The last thing I need is to call out the dealer who did this and get into a pi :censored: ing match that will ultimately end without any positive resolution.

I just wanted other collectors out there to realize that these types of situations are still happening and to be cautious, that's all. (thumbs u

I left out the book and the dealer on purpose. Why? Naming the dealer or book does not change the facts or events as they occurred. I typed out the scenario as it happened. The last thing I need is to call out the dealer who did this and get into a pi :censored: ing match that will ultimately end without any positive resolution.

I just wanted other collectors out there to realize that these types of situations are still happening and to be cautious, that's all. (thumbs u

So the big revelation that we're supposed to get from your post is that shady things go on among the big auction houses? :

Thanks, that's extremely helpful. :golfclap:

And in other news that is totally true but just as useful to anyone with an iota of common sense, the sun rose in the east today.

Shill bidding is considered wire fraud. I know some sellers on E-Bay have been sentenced to prison for doing exactly what you described. I would recommend contacting law enforcement about your suspicions and letting them handle it.

C'mon Tim. You're talking about West like he just fell off the turnip truck. :ohnoez: With his background I think he deserves more respect. Obviously he is just pointing it out because it was an egregious example.

I'm trying to come up with a scenario that could explain your experience but I'm struggling. If the auction was on ebay perhaps the winning bidder didn't pay and the owner kept the book. If the book was on Heritage, comiclink or comicconnect I have to think non paying bidders are very, very rare.

Could you name the auction site?

With the 1995 date given, I believe it can only be the infamous Metropolis / Comic Connection.

C'mon Tim. You're talking about West like he just fell off the turnip truck. :ohnoez: With his background I think he deserves more respect. Obviously he is just pointing it out because it was an egregious example.

Of course I know who West is.

I'm just tired of the Code of Silence in place among all BSDs. Say enough to get everyone all freaked out, but never say enough to actually pin anyone's hide to the wall and actually help to stop any of the practices that have everyone all freaked out.

AGAIN...the auction is public record...simply put out the information for us to judge....we can handle it........we will judge if it looks shady......just report the facts and let us draw our own conclusion.

If this practice occurred, it needs to be addressed by this fourm. This would not be the first nor the last time anything like this can happen.

I just would like to see the evidence......

Say enough to get everyone all freaked out, but never say enough to actually pin anyone's hide to the wall and actually help to stop any of the practices that have everyone all freaked out.

Maybe because West - like me - knows that it rarely makes a difference in this hobby, Tim.

I know this from long years of experience dealing with this particular fishy entity, believe me.

Timely posted on-topic and it probably felt good to vent amongst his friends, as well - there's no need to attack him.

I figured it out, others can too.