• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay question about shipping to Canada.... Eh'

44 posts in this topic

Whats this all a-boot. I distinctly mention I will only ship to US and someone from dah great white nort' writes and asks if he can buy it.

I will give him credit for asking.... and not just doing it... my auction ends in two days, no bid on the item, so Im thinkin... what the hey... Let him throw some of those colorful dollar bills at me...

It is not a high item book, just trying to get some feedback status up a lil before selling the big ticket items....

Typically what do U guys charge for shipping... I will not do the "gift declaration" but want to make a informed decision....

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

What's your Ebay ID? I want to make sure to avoid it.795v.gif mad.gif

I think anyone who was offended here needs to:

1. Relax.

2. Go put on "Strange Brew" and have some good laughs! Eh?

beer.jpghosehead3_little.jpg

On many occasions in the past, sellers have been on these boards bemoaning how stupid we canucks are for bidding or even inquiring about their auctions when it clearly says US only. There are also rants about this on the auctions themselves.

So the guys thought it was just another of these semi-regular anti-Canada rants, and reacted negatively.

Whats this all a-boot. I distinctly mention I will only ship to US and someone from dah great white nort' writes and asks if he can buy it.

I will give him credit for asking.... and not just doing it... my auction ends in two days, no bid on the item, so Im thinkin... what the hey... Let him throw some of those colorful dollar bills at me...

It is not a high item book, just trying to get some feedback status up a lil before selling the big ticket items....

Typically what do U guys charge for shipping... I will not do the "gift declaration" but want to make a informed decision....

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

What's your Ebay ID? I want to make sure to avoid it.795v.gif mad.gif

I think anyone who was offended here needs to:

1. Relax.

2. Go put on "Strange Brew" and have some good laughs! Eh?

beer.jpghosehead3_little.jpg

I wasn't offended ...I merely wanted to make sure I didn't upset the Yankee by asking if he'd accept my bids. 893blahblah.gif

He wasn't going to let the Canuck bid...that is until noone else placed any bids.

I recently bought a bunch of slabs off a seller that stated " US only " in his auction description...and now that seller is easily one of my faves.

You guys are a bunch of hosers ...eh? tongue.gif

Oh for dah love of....

I finally got a bid on one of my items.!!!

From Brazil....

I just cannot win...

foreheadslap.gif

If he wins I will ship and all. I guess I will have to start a thread to upset the folks in Brazil......

I've never had one from South America yet.

France and UK and Canada (tons).

A few to the Sandanavian (SP? foreheadslap.gif ) countries...

And a few to the SE Pacific.

None to SA ot Africa/mid-east yet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's another from Canada who sympathizes with you. It is unfortunate that some Canadian buyers ask their US sellers to mark the item as a 'gift'. This is to save a measily 7%. It is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason that many US sellers will not ship outside the US; and it is extremely annoying to people like me who factor in the 7% in my bids. I have never asked a seller to declare a lower figure or ask a seller to mark something as a gift ( and I only buy CGC books; some in five figures ). I realize that this is morally repugnant to some US sellers, and it annoys me to no end that other Canadian buyers to a certain extent determine what I am able to bid on, simply not wanting in most cases to pay a few bucks extra GST. To those Canadians who jumped on your post: IF you bid $100, think of it as $107!!!!!!!

The abuse you so readily received after asking a simple straightforward question exemplifies this point; and the gang abuse you also received is endemic on this Board. If these people did not behave like this this Board would have considerably more posters.......

Here's another from Canada who sympathizes with you. It is unfortunate that some Canadian buyers ask their US sellers to mark the item as a 'gift'. This is to save a measily 7%. It is one of the main reasons, if not the main reason that many US sellers will not ship outside the US; and it is extremely annoying to people like me who factor in the 7% in my bids. I have never asked a seller to declare a lower figure or ask a seller to mark something as a gift ( and I only buy CGC books; some in five figures ). I realize that this is morally repugnant to some US sellers, and it annoys me to no end that other Canadian buyers to a certain extent determine what I am able to bid on, simply not wanting in most cases to pay a few bucks extra GST. To those Canadians who jumped on your post: IF you bid $100, think of it as $107!!!!!!!

My response had absolutely nothing to do with your sign-rantpost.gif above....

The abuse you so readily received after asking a simple straightforward question exemplifies this point; and the gang abuse you also received is endemic on this Board. If these people did not behave like this this Board would have considerably more posters.......

" simple straightforward question "? confused.gif

If the question is " How much do I charge a Canadian for shipping? ....the answer is:

ACTUAL SHIPPING COSTS

makepoint.gif

I like how you decided to blame all those cheap Canadian collectors who can't afford five-figure slabs for the " US only " auctions.26_7_8.gif

If you are shipping raw books, charge the exact same price you would charge for sending it in the United States. Slabbed books are a little more, but not much, maybe a couple bucks.

To ship overseas (outside of North America), simply use Global Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes for raw books. Almost every country in the world (with the glaring exception of Italy) takes GPM and it is dirt cheap. Nine bucks to ship to Australia is pretty good.

I have absolutely no idea why you wouldn't ship overseas. Their money is just as good as anybody elses, as long as they pay in US funds. Who cares where you're shipping it to - the minute it gets into the system it is your buyer's problem, not yours, for customs duties, etc.

It just wanted to sell some doubles and some raw readers before I get into selling any slabs... I never really though about doing the world wide shipping thing. Just worried about declarations and what not. $ is $

My Brazilian buyer has great feed back and I sent an email saying, we have to adjust shipping, and thanks for mentioning Global Priority. It is also 9 bucks to South Americia. He has purchased a few other US Only auctions and got great feed back... So the buyer obviously knows more about shipping than I will. Waiting for a reply...

All I have to sale that this one silly comic is giving me an ulcer, and I wonder if those emails I get for cheap prescriptions takes paypal? Thanks again for all the feedback. This newbie was unaware exactly how hot of a topic this was...

When packages are worth over a certain amount, I ask the seller if it would be possible to declare the item at a lower amount. They key word here is ask . I don't demand it, and I don't get upset if a seller chooses not to do it. Customs fees do add up, especially when buying slabs in the hundreds and thousands of $, and it dosen't hurt to save a few bucks here and there. I don't see what is so "morally repugnant" about this. I see U.S based posters on here start threads complaining about being over-charged a few extra bucks for shipping, simply because they want to save a few bucks. I've paid over $400 for customs on a single package, and I don't see what is so wrong with wanting to trim figures like that down. Infact, some sellers I've dealt with(including a few big dealers) do it automatically, as a courtesy, without me having to ask. Again, I don't require

or expect a seller to do this, but it is nice when they do. To me it's no different than asking a dealer for a 10% discount, or haggling for a lower price in general.

It just wanted to sell some doubles and some raw readers before I get into selling any slabs... I never really though about doing the world wide shipping thing. Just worried about declarations and what not. $ is $

My Brazilian buyer has great feed back and I sent an email saying, we have to adjust shipping, and thanks for mentioning Global Priority. It is also 9 bucks to South Americia. He has purchased a few other US Only auctions and got great feed back... So the buyer obviously knows more about shipping than I will. Waiting for a reply...

All I have to sale that this one silly comic is giving me an ulcer, and I wonder if those emails I get for cheap prescriptions takes paypal? Thanks again for all the feedback. This newbie was unaware exactly how hot of a topic this was...

For Global Priority Mail, if the package is under a pound, you don't need a customs form, and therefore, there aren't any customs duties on either end.

Since all of my big purchases come from US sellers I always ask if they can label it as "documents" or "catelog", etc. The stupid VAT's start to add up especially when you factor in shipping costs. I am not one that like to wait a month for my books and I usually specify express shipping but I hate when customs gets a hold of it and delays it for another week then wants money on top of it. For what? We get taxed to the gills as it is. Why should such a request be annoying? The way I see it that's just customer service and part of doing business. Besides it reduces the chance of the book getting poached along the way. If someone gets their shorts in a knot because I make such a request then I'll take my money elsewhere.

When packages are worth over a certain amount, I ask the seller if it would be possible to declare the item at a lower amount. They key word here is ask . I don't demand it, and I don't get upset if a seller chooses not to do it. Customs fees do add up, especially when buying slabs in the hundreds and thousands of $, and it dosen't hurt to save a few bucks here and there. I don't see what is so "morally repugnant" about this. I see U.S based posters on here start threads complaining about being over-charged a few extra bucks for shipping, simply because they want to save a few bucks. I've paid over $400 for customs on a single package, and I don't see what is so wrong with wanting to trim figures like that down. Infact, some sellers I've dealt with(including a few big dealers) do it automatically, as a courtesy, without me having to ask. Again, I don't require

or expect a seller to do this, but it is nice when they do. To me it's no different than asking a dealer for a 10% discount, or haggling for a lower price in general.

Bingo. If someone wants to give away $400 for nothing be my guess. I now buy from Mile High on aregular basis because there are no duties payable on delivery due to the way they package their shipments.

I charge $4 to ship to Canada from Texas -- the same as I charge for domestic shipping. I have rarely had a package with under 8 books cost much over that.

People who overcharge for shipping suck the sweat off a dead man's balls. sumo.gif

Now that's interesting. I just won 1 comic for $9.95. Seller advertises shipping (in USA) $6.00. I have yet to here from him as far what shipping to Canada will cost. Seller is in California. What's a decent rate? crazy.gif

first class mail, well protected (cardboard sandwich) in an envelope - $3- $4 postage - depending on surface or air mail

Global priority to Canada or mexico - flat rate envelope that'll fit a comic book = $7

I'd say a fair rate is anywhere from $3-5 for parcel post surface or air

My response had absolutely nothing to do with your sign-rantpost.gif above....

" simple straightforward question "? confused.gif

If the question is " How much do I charge a Canadian for shipping? ....the answer is:

ACTUAL SHIPPING COSTS

makepoint.gif

I like how you decided to blame all those cheap Canadian collectors who can't afford five-figure slabs for the " US only " auctions.26_7_8.gif

I read your initial response the same way as egambart did, so I don't think you made your point entirely clear.

I charge $4 to ship to Canada from Texas -- the same as I charge for domestic shipping. I have rarely had a package with under 8 books cost much over that.

People who overcharge for shipping suck the sweat off a dead man's balls. sumo.gif

Now that's interesting. I just won 1 comic for $9.95. Seller advertises shipping (in USA) $6.00. I have yet to here from him as far what shipping to Canada will cost. Seller is in California. What's a decent rate? crazy.gif

first class mail, well protected (cardboard sandwich) in an envelope - $3- $4 postage - depending on surface or air mail

Global priority to Canada or mexico - flat rate envelope that'll fit a comic book = $7

I'd say a fair rate is anywhere from $3-5 for parcel post surface or air

I just mailed 4 books to Canada, packed like Ft. Knox (14.3 oz), for $3.75 -- Air Mail.

So far this week I've received 6 auctions I won in past weeks. I paid out $19 for shipping but the total shipping was only $10.72. 893frustrated.gif

For Global Priority Mail, if the package is under a pound, you don't need a customs form, and therefore, there aren't any customs duties on either end.

Thanks flyin....

Worked like a charm...Communication was a lil difficult... but paypal is universal.... Told the buyer 9 for global priority... he sent 10... So, Im not gonna argue.... Tracking it and I may even get some feedback written in Portugese....