• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What`s the market for Garfield oa by Jim Davis?

42 posts in this topic

^ totally. Jjj, I never got peanuts either til I read the 50s strips from those fantagrahics hc's. 50-62 or so are amazing. There's also an excellent period from about 70 to 74. After that its just a nostalgia band so to speak. The peppermint patty years are esp painful

Been there, done that, and I still don't get the appeal for Peanuts.

I think Garfield is one of those currently under appreciated characters that in the future, much like how we all look at opportunities with 20/20 hindsight of "should have, would have, could have", may be one of today's more solid investments.

Look at The Peanuts, and you don't need to go that far back and look at Garfield's peers with The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes... the artwork isn't that much different, and I'd argue that Garfield has had the most success from a licensing standpoint to any of it's 1980's to present peers in daily comic strips. What makes Calvin & Hobbes so sought after is the forced scarcity by the artist (and much like celebrities who "Die Young and Stay Pretty", he ended the strip at it's height without overstaying his welcome), as it's not necessarily any better other strips of the era by leaps and bounds. Whereas Jim Davis build a website and opened up sales to everyone, so the artwork is readily available.

I did hear that Jim Davis used art assistants for his later work, and he may have contributed layouts, but did do the writing of the gags. Recently, I believe the artwork is done digitally, so no new artwork is being created as original pencil/ink drawings.

Garfield has been relevant and thriving, had a lot of merchandising, a cartoon series (1982-1991), two major motion picture movies (2004 & 2006), and holds the Guinness World Record for being "The Most Widely Syndicated Comic Strip", and has been ongoing since 1978... for 35 years (and continuing still - - and has a bit longer to go to catch up with Charles Schulz's 50 year epic run with The Peanuts strip)

If you enjoy Garfield, even more the reason to buy now, and go direct to Jim Davis' website to buy straight from him:

http://www.garfieldcollectibles.com/ComicPage.asp?dept_id=101&pf_id=100SPECIAL&

It's $2,000 for Daily Strips and $3,000 for Sunday Strips

These are the modern ones, so the vintage ones you'd have to get in the secondary collector's market, but I don't think they command much more than these prices in the possible $3k-5k range at highest I'd speculate today, now... as for the future, who knows?

Thanks for the good info,and I will check out the garfieldcollectibles.com website. (thumbs u

The creative arts are subjective, so most people can agree to disagree, and whomever likes whatever shouldn't be ridiculed or criticized for their tastes, and those who love whatever they're passionate about shouldn't necessarily think others are out of the norm for not agreeing or matching that passion, or adamantly proclaim one is better than another.

Millions of readers of Garfield proves there's definite fandom for the character, be it the art or the stories or just the cuteness. I do think, of course there's a huge difference in liking something and loving something, and with original art, it's that love that's what causes the demand and depletes the supply, and I get a sense there's not a lot of love for Garfield's original artwork, yet, and the fans of the character aren't necessarily the ones who collect original art.

Similarly to sports cards, there's people who like to play the game, people who like to watch the game and people who like to collect the memorabilia, and they don't necessarily always crossover within each other.

Exactly,as I asked "What`s the market for Garfield oa by Jim Davis?"

I didn`t ask if they liked Garfield or they were a fan of Calvin and Hobbes(BTW which I like).

It`s like I bet not many people on this board are big fans of Lebron James, but guess what? I made more money flipping Lebron James rookie cards then flipping comic books last year. Yeah I like comic books better then Lebron James rookie cards,but those profits I made from flipping Lebron James rookie cards will buy me comic book keys and oa art. (thumbs u

With Garfield I see an iconic mainstream character who has a chance to take off in the next decade in the OA world.

With that being said I still enjoyed this thread. :cloud9:

About 8 years ago, a water park in Bristol, CT used Garfield for their marketing - t-shirts, mugs, caps, etc. In their gift shop, in a box on the floor, they were selling cartoon cells from the GARFIELD & FRIENDS and US ACRES TV shows for about $25 a pop. My daughter loves Garfield and I picked up a bunch! Those cells still hang in her room framed (she's 18 now) to this day!

^ totally. Jjj, I never got peanuts either til I read the 50s strips from those fantagrahics hc's. 50-62 or so are amazing. There's also an excellent period from about 70 to 74. After that its just a nostalgia band so to speak. The peppermint patty years are esp painful

IIRC, in addition to PEANUTS, you also don't get WATCHMEN, DKR, and other similarly acclaimed works. But you like GARFIELD. You are either a natural born contrarian, or just have terrible taste. :baiting: .

With Garfield I see an iconic mainstream character who has a chance to take off in the next decade in the OA world.

That's certainly a possibility. But we're at year 35 since the strip debuted, and if you believe in the "Rule of 25" (as it relates to childhood nostalgia), then it either hasn't kicked in yet or it got bypassed. As well, I don't believe there will be any critical re-evaluation of GARFIELD that will bring in a new audience. I also don't see any BSDs either now or in the future paying up for Jim Davis originals. Or not enough of them to make a difference. There appears to be a lot of supply, more than enough to meet any demand. We shall see, but as usual, buy it only if you like it.

IIRC, in addition to PEANUTS, you also don't get WATCHMEN, DKR, and other similarly acclaimed works. But you like GARFIELD. You are either a natural born contrarian, or just have terrible taste. :baiting: .

And he doesn't like Mazz!

Close, Felix, close. I don't 'get' Peanuts, Kirby art, Watchmen (but Alan Moore, in general), Frazetta, and Toth. And it not for lack of trying.

And yes, I do like Garfield AND I like DKR, just not the constipated cover. :grin:

And he doesn't like Mazz!

Thanks, forgot about Mazz :)

Close, Felix, close. I don't 'get' Peanuts, Kirby art, Watchmen (but Alan Moore, in general), Frazetta, and Toth. And it not for lack of trying.

And yes, I do like Garfield AND I like DKR, just not the constipated cover. :grin:

It's all good! We like what we like. And, if nothing else, I'm sure your wallet is grateful for what you "don't get". :grin:

My problem is I "get" too much. :cry:

It's all good! We like what we like. And, if nothing else, I'm sure your wallet is grateful for what you "don't get". :grin:

My problem is I "get" too much. :cry:

Very true, my friend. very true ;)

I thought so too... I was looking at them a couple months ago thinking it might be fun to have one, but I am more interested at 1200 bucks than I am at 2k.

After reading this thread I decided I really like Yoram. Except that I in no way shape or form

like DKR. Now that wa an insulting read. The way the Joker was killed was just about as lame a the fake alien plot in Watchmen. However, thanks to other aspects of that such as the Comedian and Rorschach I can see I like Watchmen but don't love it. Despite the love if these 2 I found there to be too many instances of poor writing in tying the story all together.

I too like the character Garfield but can't really comment on the comics as I've never been into the Funnies section. Growing up I preferred Heathcliff but I think many of you old timers were too busy reading Watchmen and DKR to remember him.

Heathcliff is really cool although he had more of a 70s vibe (not better or worse, just different). My fondness for garfield is somewhat rooted in the fact that no comic strip screamed early/mid 80s like garfield did. For a few years there it really captured the time.