• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What`s the market for Garfield oa by Jim Davis?

42 posts in this topic

Heathcliff is really cool although he had more of a 70s vibe (not better or worse, just different). My fondness for garfield is somewhat rooted in the fact that no comic strip screamed early/mid 80s like garfield did. For a few years there it really captured the time.

HEATHCLIFF???? That no-good Garfield knock-off! That alley cat can't hold a pan of lasagna next to Garfield. ;)

Look at The Peanuts, and you don't need to go that far back and look at Garfield's peers with The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes... the artwork isn't that much different, and I'd argue that Garfield has had the most success from a licensing standpoint to any of it's 1980's to present peers in daily comic strips. What makes Calvin & Hobbes so sought after is the forced scarcity by the artist (and much like celebrities who "Die Young and Stay Pretty", he ended the strip at it's height without overstaying his welcome), as it's not necessarily any better other strips of the era by leaps and bounds. Whereas Jim Davis build a website and opened up sales to everyone, so the artwork is readily available.

Different strokes I guess. Though wildly popular and long lasting, I find Garfield inane. Saying it compares favorably to Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side seems absurd to me, but everybody is entitled to an opinion. I TRULY wish Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side could be had at a similar price as Garfield, at which point I'd gladly put my money where my mouth is.

Scott

+100

Never found Garfield funny/clever/amusing. Although, I did like the animated shows when I was young.