• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Avengers Arcs

52 posts in this topic

Can anyone suggest some of the best Avenger Story arcs, particularly arcs that I can pick up in TPB form.

I've got the Avengers Omnibus that reprints issues 1-30, but otherwise I haven't read much Avengers stuff. I'd prefer more modern stuff, I like the classics but I'm more of a modern guy.

Thanks I appreciate it.

not moderns but I absolutely love the Avengers issues from 153-200ish

Great Perez art, followed by John Byrne and has the Atlantean war, Graviton battle, Count Nefaria, Korvac Saga, Absorbing man, Taskmaster...all great stuff!

For "modern" Avengers, Brian Michael Bendis was the writer on the main series and many secondary series from 2004 until 2012. Even though he was the mastermind behind many Marvel-wide "events," the Avengers issues during the events were often character-focused and don't really read as a storyline. Across those 8 years, lots of things happened and there were some good story moments, but not an arc that defines the Avengers during that time.

The 7-part "Civil War" event series wasn't an Avengers story per se, but the two main opponents in the conflict were Iron Man and Captain America, so if the "sparring" dynamic of the Avengers in the movie was to your liking, you'd see a lot of it in that series.

I had forgotten about the Bendis Avengers stuff.

I did read the "New Avengers" series, it was 60 issues or so, I think around 2004. It was ok but started getting to disjointed with cross overs towards the middle to really follow. I did enjoy a lot of it like all the suspicion about who was a Skrull for a while, and Hawkeye being Ronin, and All the Spiderwoman awesomeness.

I ended up giving that run to someone in the PIF thread, I forget who.

Avengers - Under Siege collects Avengers # 270 to 277 and reprints the classic Masters Of Evil storyline from the 80s. The Korvac Saga is completely essential reading. Any TPBs reprinting any of Kurt Busieks run from the late 90s to early 2000s is worth reading.

I had forgotten about the Bendis Avengers stuff.

If only we could all be so lucky.

No kidding. Bendis couldn't write a good arc to save his arse. How many bad arcs has it been since Dissasemble or whatever the heck that nonsense was. Most overrated writer of all time.

I have a soft spot for the Avengers-Defenders crossover in the early 100's I need to reread those one of these days.

Lots of great choices mentioned. Let's not forget Bride Of Ultron collected as issues #157-166. This way you get Ultron AND Nefaria. And then leading right into KV Saga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (worship)(worship)(worship) Avengers #140 -200 is unassailable in greatness.

Vol.1 #80 guest stars Daredevil vs.the Zodiac,stand alone issue & #84 vs.Arkon finishes up an earlier arc.Arkon is going to marry Wanda & a big throwdown ensues.

Pure awesomeness.