• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first CGC submission via local shop - how to get over the wait?

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

This afternoon I drove over to my local shop and dropped off three Maxx #1 Ashcans (Blue, Red, and Yellow) to be submitted to CGC.

I paid the extra 10 for "expedited service."

The total tab for three books expedited through the shop ran me around $135.

I can swallow the tab, but the guy who helped me out, ended with, "we'll give you a call to come get them in 6-8 weeks."

Then he warned it could take longer due to SDCC.

I don't know how I'm going to make it waiting to A. get them back, and B. find out their grades.

This is my first CGC submission and wait.

Does anyone have any advice to get over the wait and anxiety?

Seems like so long!

:pullhair::ohnoez:

should have asked on the boards how to submit yourself. i cant remember what it cost me my first time submitting but i think it was cheaper than $135 with registered mail selected. i think they have ups as an option for online submissions now which would have made it under $100 and you would have had them back before 6-8 weeks. chances are good that they havent shipped them yet, or will ship them anytime soon, if you want to do it yourself...

There is no way to get it under $100 with Fast Track & Registered Shipping:

(3) x Modern Submission @$18 $54

(3) x Fast Track @$10 $30

CGC Invoice Fee $5

USPS Registered Mail (Insured for $200 each) $37

Total $126

If the shop owner only charged $9 for shipping the (3) to CGC then that was very reasonable.

i said with UPS it is under $100, also including the 10% discount the total is $117 not $126 with registered mail.

Hi,

This afternoon I drove over to my local shop and dropped off three Maxx #1 Ashcans (Blue, Red, and Yellow) to be submitted to CGC.

I can swallow the tab, but the guy who helped me out, ended with, "we'll give you a call to come get them in 6-8 weeks."

I don't know how I'm going to make it waiting to A. get them back, and B. find out their grades.

Seems like so long!

should have asked on the boards how to submit yourself. i cant remember what it cost me my first time submitting but i think it was cheaper than $135 with registered mail selected. i think they have ups as an option for online submissions now which would have made it under $100 and you would have had them back before 6-8 weeks. chances are good that they havent shipped them yet, or will ship them anytime soon, if you want to do it yourself...

CGC Invoice Fee $5

Total $126

If the shop owner only charged $9 for shipping the (3) to CGC then that was very reasonable.

i said with UPS it is under $100, also including the 10% discount the total is $117 not $126 with registered mail.

I am assuming, since the OP is in Houston, that the submission was made through one of our shops. First, in response to the topic of long wait times, our estimates for customers are always long to cover those "worst case" situations. Lately we have been pretty happy with The CGC's turnaround times so hopefully this submission will get back to us, and TXReplicant, a little quicker than we expected.

On the topic of whether to submit yourself, or submit through a shop....I don't know how other shops do it, but we charge exact costs from The CGC's submission forms. We don't add anything for shipping to The CGC. We package everything. We arrange shipments. We are always open so nothing gets left on the porch. We consult with submitters beforehand so they aren't sending in items that wouldn't benefit from the process. And all that happens in a cool place devoted to comics. So yes, it may cost a bit more than submitting yourself through a site or the Collectors Society. But the difference is pretty minimal and are hugely offset by the other benefits.

So if you have a shop that you trust, who has knowledge of The CGC's system, and offers a similar cost for the service, it really isn't a bad alternative.

Hi,

Seems like so long!

CGC Invoice Fee $5

Total $126

I am assuming, since the OP is in Houston, that the submission was made through one of our shops. First, in response to the topic of long wait times, our estimates for customers are always long to cover those "worst case" situations. Lately we have been pretty happy with The CGC's turnaround times so hopefully this submission will get back to us, and TXReplicant, a little quicker than we expected.

On the topic of whether to submit yourself, or submit through a shop....I don't know how other shops do it, but we charge exact costs from The CGC's submission forms. We don't add anything for shipping to The CGC. We package everything. We arrange shipments. We are always open so nothing gets left on the porch. We consult with submitters beforehand so they aren't sending in items that wouldn't benefit from the process. And all that happens in a cool place devoted to comics. So yes, it may cost a bit more than submitting yourself through a site or the Collectors Society. But the difference is pretty minimal and are hugely offset by the other benefits.

So if you have a shop that you trust, who has knowledge of The CGC's system, and offers a similar cost for the service, it really isn't a bad alternative.

Your absolutely correct. I did not mean any disrespect towards you or a fellow boardies store. I once tried to submit through 2 local shops and was given similar quotes, but I know for a fact they were shipping in envelopes and charging fast track prices for regular modern tiers. If the store, yours in this case, is knowledgeable in submitting to CGC, there is no problem with that quote, considering you will probably be/did ship the books well protected and cared for.

Hi,

Seems like so long!

CGC Invoice Fee $5

Total $126

I've submitted through Bedrock three time, and I would rather do that right now. I have that same anxiety, and I would have been checking constantly. Having it be under their account actually kept it from being worse. Anytime I wanted an update, I just called or asked when I was there. My last sub was fast tracked. It was 5 weeks, if I remember correctly.

Hi,

Seems like so long!

They'll be back before you know it. The $10 for fast track is worth it.

Just stay occupied. I always like to research my next grail or find some books for my want list.

Don't count days either. It only makes things worse, especially if CGC gets a few days behind.