• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warped Slabs?

33 posts in this topic

Hello!

I just received my first-ever four coupon books from CGC, and I was disappointed to notice that two of the slabs are very noticeably warped. For the worse of the two, if you set it down on a table and push on one end, the other end lifts up so much I can slide my finger completely underneath. The slab literally rocks back and forth like a banana! (Obviously not that extreme, but you get my drift.) If the comic within wasn't just a 7.0 book (Roy Roger V2 #55 from 1952) I'd say it definitely has damaged the spine. Regardless, it isn't doing it any favors.

Has anyone else has had this problem? What's your experience in having CGC re-slab it, hopefully at no charge? I honestly cannot believe the worse of the two made it through their QC process. I've handled a few hundred slabs and have NEVER seen this before.

Thoughts and advice welcome! I'll try to post a picture tomorrow after work.

There are heat waves across several parts of the country. Is it possible that they heat is warping the slabs in transit.

Imagine if your slabs were inside a postal container right now in Vegas?

My wife is taking some pics right now. Yes, it's funny someone mentioned exposure to environmental heat in transit, because I was actually concerned about that. I wanted to avoid this time of year, but I really didn't have a choice. So terribly disappointed. Anyway, stand by for the pictures!

If heat is the reason it is has warped, has anyone tried just putting a blow drier on high heat (or a good heat gun) on their slab and try and flatten it back out with some heat and then put some heavy books on top of it to press it back flat? Seems like it should be an easy fix, assuming the book wasn't damaged due to the warping.

If heat is the reason it is has warped, has anyone tried just putting a blow drier on high heat (or a good heat gun) on their slab and try and flatten it back out with some heat and then put some heavy books on top of it to press it back flat? Seems like it should be an easy fix, assuming the book wasn't damaged due to the warping.

:eek:

If heat is the reason it is has warped, has anyone tried just putting a blow drier on high heat (or a good heat gun) on their slab and try and flatten it back out with some heat and then put some heavy books on top of it to press it back flat?

Try that and please post pictures of the results. :wishluck:

There are heat waves across several parts of the country. Is it possible that they heat is warping the slabs in transit.

Imagine if your slabs were inside a postal container right now in Vegas?

This is what I Was thinking. Choosing the Economy Tier for my last sub is starting to sound better lol

My wife is taking some pics right now. Yes, it's funny someone mentioned exposure to environmental heat in transit, because I was actually concerned about that. I wanted to avoid this time of year, but I really didn't have a choice. So terribly disappointed. Anyway, stand by for the pictures!

I received a set of slabs back from CGC earlier this week when it literally was 115 F outside. The box was very hot, but the slabs had no signs whatsoever of warping. I live in one of the warmest parts of the US but have never seen or heard about this before. I will try to put an empty slab outside in the sun and see what happens.

I've noticed that a couple of my oldest slabs have started to exhibit very slight warping. I think it must be something that happens to the plastic over time. I've thought about getting the books reholdered just to ensure that the warpage doesn't affect the books. If I do that, will they be re-holdered with the original (old-style) labels?

I've noticed that a couple of my oldest slabs have started to exhibit very slight warping. I think it must be something that happens to the plastic over time. I've thought about getting the books reholdered just to ensure that the warpage doesn't affect the books. If I do that, will they be re-holdered with the original (old-style) labels?

No

No

139193.png.2a3ad3939e1fc4f46f62e566ac3d2286.png

Here are the pictures of this warped slab, and this is AFTER 3 days under 50 lbs of old yearbooks attempting to straighten.

DSCN1212_zps62de706b.jpg

DSCN1214_zps59a27ff8.jpg

DSCN1215_zpsa317f7f8.jpg

DSCN1222_zpse320f26e.jpg

That is strange. I have lots of slabs and none do this

Edit: Since this came from CGC....call them and return it.

I've never seen that sort of damage! I bet CGC would re-slab it at no cost to you. Give em a call.

I just got 2 sketch covers back in the mail from WWPhilly and one of my slabs is warped like yours as well.

The warp is noticeable when holding it. If I set one end down the other is about 1/4 inch in the air.

warpedslab_zps22747494.jpg