• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool 2nd Appearance

146 posts in this topic

Just because you think it doesn't make it right. Using definitions with no context is unpersuasive. Taking your thesis to its logical conclusion, there would be 1st appearances in dreams, scrapped drafts, and scribbled on the backs of napkins.

You know Sean, I really agree with this. Very well thought out and explained in your previous post. (thumbs u

It's only a proper revision of history according to your perspective. Do tiny, one panel appearances matter to anyone? Not really. What matters is the first time that a character makes a "meaningful" appearance. Everyone gets it. You think that any appearance is meaningful, and whichever is first in time is the first appearance. The market disagrees.

This is even better!

I make another example, which is outside this whole logic.

As far as Warlock goes, people tend to consider FF#67 the first appearance, and Thor #164 the first "full appearance" (meaning the story revolves around Thor clashing with him).

But what I believe is wrong is that this does not take into account that the origin of Warlock is a very meaningful TWO-PART story.

As thus, I have always considered both FF #66 and #67 equally important. And the cover of #66 even anticipates the environment where Alicia is trapped and "Him" is bound to get out of his "Cocoon".

As far as Warlock goes, people tend to consider FF#67 the first appearance, and Thor #164 the first "full appearance" (meaning the story revolves around Thor clashing with him).

But what I believe is wrong is that this does not take into account that the origin of Warlock is a very meaningful TWO-PART story.

As thus, I have always considered both FF #66 and #67 equally important. And the cover of #66 even anticipates the environment where Alicia is trapped and "Him" is bound to get out of his "Cocoon".

I totally agree with your logic on this one. (worship):applause:

Not to mention the story already begins in some way in FF#61.

After the attack of the Sandman (which teams up with Blastaar in #63 – and that’s another first apperance in #62), the FF are tired and feel the need to take some rest and go on vacation. The vacation goes banana as the mysterious Kree "Sentry" is awakened (#64) and then Ronan arrives (#65). Not even the time to take a breathe, and the Citadel of Science scientists think Alicia would be perfect to sort out the mess they did in "creating" Warlock (one of the most poignant reflection on the misuses of applied science/technology, BTW).

FF #61-67 read as a single storyline, and each one should make himself a favor and pick some reader copies. Go to heck with us, freakin' collectors! :insane:

Just because you think it doesn't make it right. Using definitions with no context is unpersuasive. Taking your thesis to its logical conclusion, there would be 1st appearances in dreams, scrapped drafts, and scribbled on the backs of napkins.

You know Sean, I really agree with this. Very well thought out and explained in your previous post. (thumbs u

It's only a proper revision of history according to your perspective. Do tiny, one panel appearances matter to anyone? Not really. What matters is the first time that a character makes a "meaningful" appearance. Everyone gets it. You think that any appearance is meaningful, and whichever is first in time is the first appearance. The market disagrees.

This is even better!

So, Marvel Premiere #1 is no one's first appearance, really - just the first time the character was called Adam Warlock.

I am glad I sold my copy of that for decent coin a few years back.

:grin:

-slym

I feel like collectors who have invested in a first appearance will argue against a proper revision of history because they don't want their items to drop in value rather than support the truth.
See, I always had the opposite opinion. I think that a lot of those people who argue that the one-panel appearance should make that book more valuable are only adjusting because they got locked out of having the accepted first appearance before prices went up, but they did manage to scoop up a few of the "arm appearance" so they want to sway everyone that the one they happen to own is the "real first appearance," so they can manage some kind of profit.

A few posts back I agreed with the single arm or hand shot etc. as an invalid first appearance but since so many of you seem to want a meaningful first appearance section in you price guide then why not make Web of Spider-Man 18 Venom's first appearance. The arm that pushes Peter onto the tracks was confirmed by Marvel to be Venom and is "meaningful" since the villain doing it did not cause Pete to tingle. That is pretty important if you ask me as it establishes Venom as a pretty lethal foe.

So, Marvel Premiere #1 is no one's first appearance, really - just the first time the character was called Adam Warlock.

Marvel Premiere is important in its own right, as it’s there that the character is fully developed, not just the name. Thomas starts from the fascinating premises and works from there… :cloud9:

And I learn just now the "Counter-Earth" is not necessarily a Roy Thomas idea… :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Earth

Although of course I will always consider FF #66-67 more important I dare to say Marvel Premiere #1 is more important than the Thor storyline, which basically is…

"Him steals Sif from Thor, Thor gets angry and goes to rescue her". (shrug)

I believe it was x-force 2 and is labeled so by CGC.

This is why i want to sort this out. CGC has been wrong before and in this case i believe they are again.

At the end of the gold 2nd print for X-Force 1 there is an id card similar to the ones on the back of G.I.Joe toys or in the marvel Encyclopedia comics. Dead pool IS pictured there. This addition is only in the reprint which predates the issue 2 of the X-Force series. i ask because despite high a print run for issue 2 there has been some interest in that issue as a second appearance. I don't know what the print run was for the gold 2nd of issue 1 but i suspect it was much lower than issue 2.

It's not just the X-Force 1 2nd print that has the Cable Guide profiles.

th_Xforce1_Deadpool_zps24273b95.jpeg

True. But I have never seen the Deadpool one printed anywhere before the Gold Reprint.

It is a cool little piece of Deadpool history. But I think a profile snapshot may not qualify as an appearance. Deadpool completest will want it, though.

:bump:

So, here's the hundred-dollar question - is X-Force #2 worth getting slabbed? To go one step further, let's say you had a 9.8 copy raw, but dropped it about a foot onto a table, with it landing on the corner of the bag&board, causing a small NCB-bend on one corner. Is this comic worth getting pressed and then slabbed? BTW, it is a newsstand copy, if that makes a difference.

-slym

So, here's the hundred-dollar question - is X-Force #2 worth getting slabbed? To go one step further, let's say you had a 9.8 copy raw, but dropped it about a foot onto a table, with it landing on the corner of the bag&board, causing a small NCB-bend on one corner. Is this comic worth getting pressed and then slabbed? BTW, it is a newsstand copy, if that makes a difference.

-slym

You would really have to get this book pressed and slabbed at the best discount rates, and the book would have to hit a 9.8 to make it worth it.

Completed X-Force 2 CGC Ebay listings

This is even better!

hm

You would really have to get this book pressed and slabbed at the best discount rates, and the book would have to hit a 9.8 to make it worth it.

Thanks, Nick - looking at those sold prices, I don't think this is worth it. I would probably lose a little money, looks like these need to be selling for ~$75 before I could put any sort of profit in my pocket.

(thumbs u

-slym

Thanks, Nick - looking at those sold prices, I don't think this is worth it. I would probably lose a little money, looks like these need to be selling for ~$75 before I could put any sort of profit in my pocket.

(thumbs u

-slym

That was my concern too, and why I posted those prices. There is much gamble for so little profit, it may not be worth it in the end.

Well. Until the "Deadpool vs. Kane" movie comes out. Then this is a definite $200 (+) investment.

:baiting:

I believe it was x-force 2 and is labeled so by CGC.

This is why i want to sort this out. CGC has been wrong before and in this case i believe they are again.

At the end of the gold 2nd print for X-Force 1 there is an id card similar to the ones on the back of G.I.Joe toys or in the marvel Encyclopedia comics. Dead pool IS pictured there. This addition is only in the reprint which predates the issue 2 of the X-Force series. i ask because despite high a print run for issue 2 there has been some interest in that issue as a second appearance. I don't know what the print run was for the gold 2nd of issue 1 but i suspect it was much lower than issue 2.

At the risk of sounding like Bill Clinton, the main issue is what does "appearance" mean? For literalists, it may be #1 Gold because his likeness is there, hence it is an appearance. For contextualists, appearance typically means that the character "appeared" in the story line. Comic collectors (and their secondary market) tend to favor a more contextual approach.

The same logic is then applied to the significance of the appearance. For example, Doomsday's arm appears in MOS 17, so it is a literal appearance, but it is not considered particularly material, thus MOS 18 is the key book.

What nearly always happens, is that the value of these books gets looped in to the analysis. People think Hulk 180 is undervalued because it has the first appearance of Wolverine. While that may or may not have merit or appeal, when the market speaks, it rarely reverses field.

Eloquently stated. :sumo: (thumbs u :applause: