• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the true 'classic covers' of the Marvel SA?

230 posts in this topic

My "Key" Marvel SA covers:

FF 72 Kirby

Thor 127, 153, 157,160 Kirby

Cap 109 Kirby

ASM 40, 44 and 50 Romita

Silver Surfer 1, 4 and 14 Buscema

Iron Man 1, 7, 8 Colan, Tuska

X-Men 13 Kirby

Avengers 12 and Annual 2 Kirby and Buscema

Subby 4, 5, 6 Buscema

Sgt. Fury 13 Kirby

I think this is why the Silver Age Marvels were so good the cover art on the whole was outstanding. A soon as we hit the 15 centers/Bronze age the art changes and is not as cool in my eyes. Which is why I am a silver age collector.

I think Romita drew a pretty phenomenal stretch of Spider-Man cover from #39-75 or so. And Kirby's Thor covers from #126-169 were pretty great too. But I know this might be blasphemy, but I think Kirby's FF covers weren't that great until #39 or so. There are some exceptions like #29, which I love. I also think The Avengers covers weren't all that memorable until John Buscema took over the art chores. I think Kirby's pre-hero covers are phenomenal. But for me, his magic didn't immediately translate to the superhero covers.

These are great -- keep 'em coming.

As an FF collector and a 'key' collector, I have the great benefit of having dozens of fabulous covers already on my want list (which won't be completed for 20+ years). Therefore, books like ASM 50 and FF 4 are already on my list, so having books like Surfer #4 and Thor #127 (etc.) are very helpful.

Two things I've noticed while reading and viewing this thread as well:

1. For some reason, I'm not a fan of any 'split cover' examples as we see in TOS and TTA. Even though some of them are awesome, the lack of a commanding central image puts them all on the second tier for me (even though I still love them).

2. There are a number of covers that seem to act only as a 'variation on a theme'. For example, shots of the Silver Surfer coming at the reader appears in FF 50 and 72 (and to a lesser extent 55 and SS 4) and TTA 93. Are they all classic? Seems to me I should pick one iconic surfer image and run with it...to have four 'classic' Surfer covers seems redundant.

That said, many of the 'X vs.Y' covers (SS 4, JIM 112, JIM 118, TTA 91, etc.) also have that 'epic' feel yet are also variations on a theme...but different characters help distinguish them from one another so they seem less repetitive to me.

Just some thoughts -- y'all have put together a great assembly here, however. I'm sure there are more ideas to come.

Dan

For me it doesn't get much better than this:

TCTTA98_zpse17adea1.jpg

+1

I was gonna post that but SOMEONE cracked my copy out of the slab and i dont have a scan :baiting:

Like the Avengers 57, Theres just something about the covers that are all or mostly one color that catches the eye. Pretty much any mostly red, yellow, or green cover and im all over it :cloud9:

For me it doesn't get much better than this:

TCTTA98_zpse17adea1.jpg

+1

I was gonna post that but SOMEONE cracked my copy out of the slab and i dont have a scan :baiting:

Like the Avengers 57, Theres just something about the covers that are all or mostly one color that catches the eye. Pretty much any mostly red, yellow, or green cover and im all over it :cloud9:

Someone with great taste I'm sure.

Fantastic thread. Marvel Silver Age Cover art is what got me hooked on comics:

My favourites avoiding major first appearances:

ASM - # 9, # 33, # 62

Avengers - # 4

Captain America - # 111

Captain Marvel - # 17

Daredevil - # 43

Doctor Strange - # 169

Fantastic Four - # 4, # 12, # 25, # 55, # 72

Gunsmoke Western - # 66

Incredible Hulk - King Size Annual # 1