• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Rare NB Xmen 101

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys! Thanks for giving my book a look! (thumbs u

Just got this in from the Phillapines! Very rare and tough to find.... the Tropical environs there were brutal on books. Most never saw a bag and board and unfortunately there is major foxing and staining on this books back cover. Structurally its pretty damn sound though. Any ideas on grade for me? Thanks in advance! (thumbs u

coverlarge.jpg

backlarge.jpg

It's hard to tell how extensive and what type of staining is going on on the back cover.

The front looks like it could be in 7.5/8.0 territory, but there looks to be a sizable H2O stain on the top left of the BC as well as additional dirt and stains around the edges.

My best guess- 6.0 or less.

Cool book!

Thanks rjpb! :applause: Yea, Im afraid CGC would hammer it to smithereens because of the staining and foxing..... hm

Is there really any value to slabbing foreign editions in less than high grade? I get the impression that for most of these books, collectors are happy just to find copies that aren't thrashed?

Much value can be added thru Sig series..... but yes you are right. Just having copies not falling apart in most cases is enough. Remember value on foreigns is always in flux, because the market is so new and immature. But, being able to say highest or only book on the CGC census is a pretty amazing feat for any collector. Even with CGC's horrible quality control on foreign slab annotations. hm

Thanks rjpb! :applause: Yea, Im afraid CGC would hammer it to smithereens because of the staining and foxing..... hm

Is there really any value to slabbing foreign editions in less than high grade? I get the impression that for most of these books, collectors are happy just to find copies that aren't thrashed?

Well, even if the price differentiation is not so marked as in the US, there is price difference for better condition books in foreign markets, at least so is in Europe.

For Italy: as long as a copy is better than FVF, the italian collector which is not fixed on super-Mintness (and they are the majority) is satisfied, so I guess it would make sense to slab a F to VF Philipino book, given the assumed inconsistency of a solid collecting market, and thinking how those could have survived.

The more radical question is if it makes sense to KEEP any book slabbed. I understand the warranty professional grading gives is increased with high dollar books, but I still won’t be able to do so, if it is a book I intend to keep.

As for the grade: I won’t give it less than a 6.0. Maybe 6.5, if the staining is confined to that one (I can’t see it well).

Yea Cluadio I think your spot on in saying that markets for rarity def exist in all types of selling or valuation situations outside the us. Rarity and difficulty to find can inform the decision to slab in many cases. hm

The second question I wont answer..... :whistle: