• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-23 not Wolverine's Daughter

30 posts in this topic

While this is all fun and games, who cares? Whether she's a clone, a para-clone or a para-sailer she was created using Wolverine's DNA. Good science or bad science, when has that mattered in a comic?

Genetic mutations don't give you superpowers either.

Spoil sport. flamed.gif

Genetic mutations don't give you superpowers either.

Nothing says they couldn't to some extent --especially Wolverine-like powers. However, I doubt there will be anyone who can fly (without wings) from simply mutating human DNA.

Remember... It's all fun and game until someone get's their eye put out. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Right, however, most of the "enhancement" style mutations wouldn't be all that super. Someone may run faster than the average person, or heal faster, or hear better, see further, smell better, hold their breath underwater longer, etc. But at Wolverine levels where wounds heal in seconds? Nope.

There's not much chance of someone getting steel skin, teleporting, manipulating the weather or magnetic waves, shooting optic blasts, flying and so on.

There have been some interesting television shows on the "Science of super-heroes" and there was a book that started it all.

However, research done with genetic manipulation of animals shows that it is possible to alter or add to a species' existing qualities. For example, reptilian dna could hold the key to speeding up the healing process, regrowing limbs, etc.

Most of the human genetic mutations we deal with here at work are mutations that have to do with predisposition towards getting certain types of cancer, like breast or colon cancer.

These are potentially negative mutations, however they still have to be "triggered" by an external factor as people can have the mutation and not have cancer, they are just at higher risk and should be regularly screened.

Where do you work?

The entire concept of having a large number of people running around with positive genetic mutations is, well -- comic. The 2nd law of Thermodynamics almost exclusively prohibits positive mutations.

It's funny that most of the Marvel super-heroes got their powers from radiation. The kind of stuff that, as we know today, will kill you deader than fried chicken. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed Earth X (bringing this thread back to comics). Radiation was the trigger that activated the latent super-genes hidden in humans by the Celestials. Very cleaver...

It's funny that most of the Marvel super-heroes got their powers from radiation. The kind of stuff that, as we know today, will kill you deader than fried chicken.

Waaaaaait a minute. Are you saying that all this time I've spent searching for radioactive spiders to bite me was a waste? 893frustrated.gif

It's funny that most of the Marvel super-heroes got their powers from radiation. The kind of stuff that, as we know today, will kill you deader than fried chicken.

Waaaaaait a minute. Are you saying that all this time I've spent searching for radioactive spiders to bite me was a waste? 893frustrated.gif

No, but the time you spent sleeping with them must have been worthwhile?

No, but the time you spent sleeping with them must have been worthwhile?

sleeping.gif You can do better than that, Darth.

P.S. Why are you posting, when you should be putting together orders for people who want to buy from your megalist, Darth-House!!!! makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif