• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy 4th!

48 posts in this topic

Have fun all and be safe ESPECIALLY on the road. Firework safety is optional, fingers arent all that important :whistle:

The 4th is taken VERY seriously in my house. We always shoot off fireworks all day long at case de sufunk. My kids have been holding roman candles and throwing bottle rockets since they could walk pretty much. this pic is from a while ago(didnt take one this year :( ) but i'd say i have about double this for this year.

500grams0001.jpg

When I was growing up in Cambridge, we had used to ride our bikes at top speed down the street, pretending we were Ghost Rider. About 2/3 down the block, we'd veer into this dude's driveway. It wasn't paved, just sand, and it was perfect for skidding and controlled wipeouts.

Anyway, the dude whose driveway it was would sometimes invite us in for drinks or something (:whatthe:). When he was younger, he'd blown off his thumb with fireworks. The docs had kinda built him a new one with flesh from his stomach. So he had this weird lumpy nailless thumb, that was always covered in stomach hair!! :)

Happy 4th! Let's blow mess up for America!!! :whee:

i'd say i have about double this for this year.

You have DOUBLE that this year? That's a helluva lotta KABOOM under one roof, I don't think your comics are safe there, you better ship 'em over to me for safe keeping :grin:

What do those "Scuba Diver" ones do, I don't think I've seen those before.

When I was growing up in Cambridge, we had used to ride our bikes at top speed down the street, pretending we were Ghost Rider. About 2/3 down the block, we'd veer into this dude's driveway. It wasn't paved, just sand, and it was perfect for skidding and controlled wipeouts.

Anyway, the dude whose driveway it was would sometimes invite us in for drinks or something (:whatthe:). When he was younger, he'd blown off his thumb with fireworks. The docs had kinda built him a new one with flesh from his stomach. So he had this weird lumpy nailless thumb, that was always covered in stomach hair!! :)

Happy 4th! Let's blow mess up for America!!! :whee:

Crazy story. The "or something" is a little concerning.

I knew a guy who got the tip of his finger cut off in a horsing accident. They just kind of folded his finger over. He used to have to shave the tip of his finger. He called it the french tickler.

And happy forth! I'm headed to a parade in a moment. Oh how I hate parades. They are just for the kidos.

i'd say i have about double this for this year.

You have DOUBLE that this year? That's a helluva lotta KABOOM under one roof, I don't think your comics are safe there, you better ship 'em over to me for safe keeping :grin:

What do those "Scuba Diver" ones do, I don't think I've seen those before.

Thats just a 500g repeater finale piece. I have like 20 500g repeaters, 30 300g repeaters, about 1,000 roman candles, more bottle rockets, mortars and sparklers than you could count and probably 8-10 boxes of other random smaller stuff the kids like to shoot off :o

Little tip for people, never, never, NEVER buy fireworks in June/July! Go in like October, November or March. The stores are so desperate to make a few bucks, they'll give you anything you want! yesterday, i drove by the fireworks store and there was a line literally a mile long with like 20 cops controlling the crowd. Those people are paying full price! In off months, you get 2 for 1 and usually 3 for 1 not to mention they will throw in a MILLION freebies :gossip:

Sounds like you are going to be putting on one heck of a show today/tonight, sounds awesome!

Oh yeah! We have a little battle in my circle between like 4 of us for king of the neighborhood but i win every year. The house 2 doors down likes to light off four of those rolls of 32,000 firecrackers at the same time thinking that can top me. it is loud as freaking hell for like 5 minutes but after that they have to just sit back and bow to the master :whistle:

Video or it didn't happen!

:D

Also, ever hear of a "sparkler bomb," 'Funk?

-slym

Sparkler bomb? never heard that but like 6-7 years ago i took like 500 sparklers and pulled off off the "sparkle" part from them, crushed it up and put it in a big tin can with a wick and lit it off. The smoke cloud looked like a mini atom bomb and for like 5 seconds was the brightest light youd ever seen! I saw spots for like 2 weeks :eek:

That what your talking about?

Nope - this is:

sparkler_bomb.jpg

and when they go off, they don't make a "boom," but a "WHOOOSH!" and you get to see this:

bigbomb_b.jpg

18888305_640.jpg

I have made a couple but never as large as the first pic, and they were impressive.

Here's a good site to explain the making of one, if you are interested:

http://www.dansdata.com/personal/Bombs.html

:D

-slym

Ah, pretty much the same effect i had crushing them up but tying them together like that is MUCH more dangerous!

I did it with like 50 probably 10 years ago and burnt my hand REAL bad lighting it! I wasnt expecting them to all go off so freaking fast and before i could get away, i was singed pretty good.

Fireworks "safety" is a relative term in my house. I know what i'm doing but have to keep an eye on everyone else to make sure they dont do something stupid. A few years ago, i had these HUGE mortars, like city grade mortars. We had like 10 different mortars going and my best friend put one in the wrong tube which was a little too wide. As a result, it only went like 10 feet in the air instead of 200 before exploding. Luckily, i saw what he did right as he lit it and yelled "POOL" and everyone followed my lead and jumped in the pool. Even from 5 feet underwater, you could CLEARLY see you wouldnt have wanted to be on the ground when it went off :o

Yes, that is why a sparkler in the middle acts as the fuse. It burns slowly and only causes the mass "explosion" after it reaches a level below the top of the "bomb."

If you do try this, anyone - PLEASE don't let someone go near the thing after it is lit. Someone will think "It isn't going to go off" because the reaction takes a little time. It WILL go off, and the bomb doesn't care if you are standing directly over it when it does.

:eek:

-slym

Yeah, i wouldnt even try that with the sparkler at the top. I'd tie off a 5 foot wick to it and get the hell back! :o

Like 10 years ago i taped around 200 roman candles together and spent like a month tying all the wicks together and then attached a 5 foot wick to it. The thing was so big and heavy it took 2 of us to carry it outside. It literally must have taken me like 50 hours to tie all those wicks together but DAMN was it a sight to see when it went off. Unfortunately, i dont have time for that anymore :sorry:

Nonono... that is the perfectly safe way of doing it. The "sparks" falling off don't have enough staying power to set the others off. On that, I can assure you.

I think I will go to one of those tents tomorrow as they are packing up and see if I can't get 1000 or so sparklers for cheap...

:devil:

-slym