• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: BB 28 or SC 22?

Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?

132 posts in this topic

Stunning to see Uncle Scrooge as the top-circulating (850,000+ copies) title, more than Superman, in 1961. Marvel was really hurting before FF came along -- their top titles (TOS and TTA) ranked at 40th and 41st.

Me neither. Any boardies remember the era or have date showing sales for both books?

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/1960s/1961.html

1961 sales:

13) Justice League of America 335,000

19) Green Lantern 255,000

Well that proves it. Justice league would have been very fun for kids. A title that had all the super heros. If I was growing up I would have wanted to see all the heros together. I remember I was like that in the 80s. I really liked X-men because it had more heros.

One thing to keep in mind about these charts from the 60's is that they are incomplete. I've looked through the charts for the whole decade and some titles will appear at the top and then not be present at all the next year even though they were still being published. Then reappear in the top ten the next year.

It's simply that the data hasn't yet been fully compiled.

For example, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories is the #2 seller in 1960 with over a million copies a month, but is not listed on the 1961 chart. Neither WDCS or Uncle Scrooge are listed on the 1962 chart. There's only one Dell and one Harvey title listed on the 1962 chart, almost certainly because the other statements have not been found for whatever reason. On the other hand, in 1963, there are nine Dell/Gold Key books in the top 20.

The numbers that are provided are accurate, but the chart doesn't give the entire picture of the publishing industry. It's just what people have been able to find in their research.

It's really interesting though. In 1962, ACG was outselling Marvel. :o And from 1960 to 1963, Uncle Scrooge dropped from over 1 million copies a month to under 300,000, a direct result of Dell/Gold Key's disastrous decision to raise their price to 15 cents in 1962 when other publishers only went to 12 cents. By the time they dropped back down to 12, it was too late and their line had been permanently damaged.

Jimmy Olsen at #4 and Lois at #5. How things have changed.

All the more remarkable to consider what one creator with the help of a few good artists did to wake up the comic world within just a few years after 1961.

The Walt Disney television show that began in the 50's had a must have had a huge following that may have helped sell Uncle Scrooge?

That's true, but also the fact that Disney also knows how to market and practically sell anything they want. If they were involved in marketing these comics back then...also think of it like this. Parents were very superstitious back then. Frank Wertmen probably had some influence in parents to only buy the most innocent looking comics (Disney comics). Strange to assume but Disney would easily take advantage of this.