• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretend for a moment....

84 posts in this topic

Bob Overstreet asks you for your advice on what the top 5 gainers will be in the comic market, and what the top 5 losers will be in the upcoming year. Irregardless of what era you choose (and you can choose to select from one era, or all), Bob is using your advice to decide whether he should add you to his list of senior advisors. You have used all your smarts and market research to determine this (the beauty is that these days, you can do most of your research from the comforts of your own home). Here are my picks:

Top 5 gainers (in no particular order)

Archie 1

Pep Comics 22

Hulk 181

Amazing Fantasy 15

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1

Top 5 losers

Ultimate Spider-Man 1

Daredevil 131

all 30 cent variants

Star Wars 107

Amazing Spider-Man 129

(please note that the losers category is not exclusive to a "loss" or drop in value; it could also represent a book that just simply hasn't been moving as well -- has remained the same for far too long, or is just on its way to going bust).

What would your picks be?

I know I am biased, but I think that all Neal Adams batman books are severly undervalued. They should be at least 20% more in the next guide.

ASM Annual 1 is such a great book! I have copy from Marvel Tales and it's such a fun read! Definitely deserves the list.

I would caution you about the ASM 129 - that's a pretty solid book and Punisher is slowly making a come back . . .

My 2 cents,

DAM

Believe me when I say that I've got stock in just as much of the gainers, as I do with the losers with my picks; but that ASM 129 has been going no-place fast in the past three years. At one time, ASM 129 was right up there with Hulk 181, X-Men 94, GS X-Men 1 and Star Wars, but now its severely dropped back. I'm not sure what's at work with the Punisher character -- quite frankly, I think the Punisher has just as much a following as Wolverine -- and in most cases, Wolvie fans and Punisher fans are one and the same. But its certainly disappointing to see it stand still for so long. But if your opinon holds-up, perhaps its a good time to invest in a copy of ASM 129 smile.gif

asm in 9.4 certified has been getting over $700+ in recent sales and 9.6 copies have had results over $2000. Heritage had a 9.6 I believe that went over $2700 with the juice in October of last year. And I know of a few private sales in the $2K range. Is it Hulk #181? No...GS XMEN #1? No....XMEN #94? Nope....I would say that the ASM #129 in grades above 9.4 is doing well. Still no 9.8 though whereas all the others have had one if I am not mistaken.

Definitely true, but Punisher is one of the major Marvel characters. I think you can make a solid case for that.

I agree that USM is falling fast - I have from 21 on and am playing the waiting game to get the earlier ones cheaper grin.gif

The USM #1 white variant or direct edition (red cover) is a bubble just waiting to burst; I had this gut feeling ever since I had the chance of picking up a 9.4 (white variant) for US $180. If your numbers are right, then perhaps I may be one of its only contrarians. However, I would be hard-pressed to find any copy listed in the top 5 of my picks sell for the Overstreet NM 9.4 price... try well over 2K for a Hulk 181 NM 9.4 -- where overstreet got $1100 is beyond me....

NOW is a fantastic time to BUY ASM 129! Its tough to find super high grades of this book and Punisher will make his comeback sooner than later. Oh how I would love to be the first person with a 9.8 of that book! laugh.gif

NOW is a fantastic time to BUY ASM 129! Its tough to find super high grades of this book and Punisher will make his comeback sooner than later. Oh how I would love to be the first person with a 9.8 of that book!

That's been the link of thinking for that book for since 1999 -- and you could still pick up a NM copy for the same prices it was selling for 4 years ago. That's just pathetic. I hope your right, but right now, it doesn't look like this book will rebound for another couple of years, it that.

maybe so but not going to risk a 9.4 horror show. it is one of the few books from when i was a kid that i purchased & kept and will most likely not sell. I remember buying that book when i was about 14 for $20 at a Boston show. Never once opened it and sent it in a while ago and was happy with the grade received.

Top 5 gainers:

1) Pep 23 - Just sold this one for 2X guide, with a BIN hit almost instantly. I received about 15 emails saying "I would have bought it for more". Amazingly undervalued book, the 2nd Archie.

2) Any other Peps 24-36

3) First print undergrounds

4) Jackpot 4 (third Archie)

5) All pre-1968 Marvels in high grade UNSLABBED.

5a) All pre-1963 DCs in high grade UNSLABBED.

5b) Magazines. All of them.

Top 5 losers:

1) Cerebus 1. Sorry, but it is going to go the route of Sandman 1 and Preacher 1 - critically acclaimed book with lots of fans that ends, with everything in continual reprints. Look for the value to plummet on this book by the end of the year.

2) Daredevil 131 and 168

3) All 9.6 and below "non-key" CGC books published after 1966. Watch the floor cave in on these.

4) Ultimate Spider-Man 1

5) Non-key Golden and Silver Age books will continue to erode. By this - Turoks, Tower, all non-Big Two publishers.

5)

Going Up (all based on CGC prices in all grades)

1. Green Lantern 76 (with 9.4's getting 8X guide and 9.2's getting 3x to 4x, $250 is just way too low)

2. Detective Comics 400 (again, 9.0's and 9.2's getting 3x to 5X guide indicates this book is HTF in high grade and should be considerably higher than current value). Even true VF copies are getting close to NM guide.

3. Hulk 180 (Guide value does not reflect anywhere near market value for this key which even though it has cooled a bit due to quite a few copies coming up for sale is still getting 5X to 6X for 9.4's and 9.6's would cost you close to 15X guide.

4. Avengers 93 (and to a lesser extent, all 25cent issues like DD 81, Hulk 145, Cap 143, Iron Man 43). All of these books go for huge multiples of guide in CGC 9.4. Avengers 93 sells for 2x to 3x guide in 9.0 and asking prices on 9.4's are 8x to 9x guide

5. Silver Age Strange Tales (except maybe 101). The most undervalued Silver Age run and goes for huge multiples in 9.4 or better.

***Honorable Mention*** Hulk 141 ($40 guide value when slabbed 9.4 copies sell for 10X that, indicates a severely undervalued book).

Going Down ....I will pass on this (enough people can talk about the negatives)except to say that while many modern and bronze books have seen their CGC multiple value decline due to the realization that they are not as HTF as once thought, year over year value has not suffered as bad as it may appear.

Sully....

will agree on the GL 76 as well as GL #59. Another hard to find copy in 9.2 or better.

Detective #400...ditto! Hope it goes waaaaaay up.

Marvel 25 cent issues..oh yeah! With Avengers 93,Thor 193,ASM #102, DD #81 leading the way. My DD #81 in 9.6 went for 12x guide (private sale).

I think Hulk 180 & 182 both will go up. And 141 as well. I would say by at least 20% in 9.4.

Strange Tales,TOS and TOA books (especially TOS #52,57) and TOA #52,57,59.

I will stay positive and only address what should be gainers. Most pre-hero Marvels should be on the way up - anytime you see any of these books above vf, they bring big money as they are very hard to find and have great Kirby and Ditko stuff. Spidey Annual 1 definitely should go up - I think i have seen one copy over 9.0. I t is just a book in high grade that you do not see. You see many more FF annual 1s in high grade but I think both FF Annual 1 and 2 are way underpriced. Also think Hulk 1 should be a lot more - no way Spidey 1 should be $8000 more than Hulk 1. And of course early issues of Journey into Mystery 83 to 126 and Suspense 39 to 66 need to be increased - just look at some of the ebay prices lately. I think a 9.0 JiM 90 went for 4x guide and a 9.2 Tales 50 went for 3.5 times guide!

On the way up:

Hulk #1

Hulk Ann #1

Hulk #141

Hulk #s 180-82

TTA # 90

(Yes, I think it will be a good year for the Hulk!)

I also don't think we will see any rises on ASM issues this year, given the spikes the run made in last years guide.

On the way down:

Daredevil #131

Daredevil #181

Green Arrow #1 (Keven Smith)

X-Force #116 (not far too fall be interest is dying in the new team)

Uncanny X-mens 101-150