• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretend for a moment....

84 posts in this topic

Gainers: Hulk Annual #1, Daredevil #81, anything in NM with a Neal Adams cover, Fantastic Four issues from #6-40

Losers: low to mid-grade copies of Action, Batman & Superman, TV comics from the 60s, funny animal comics, Spider-Man #238 & 239

Um, no. There have been thousands of other books published that do not have Spider-Man in them. grin.gif

Continual price drops will be seen on books that are outside of the "mainstream" of collecting. Fawcetts. Charltons. Funny animal books. Dells. The list goes on and on and on. But NOT Spider-Man!

If one of the graders gave it a 9.8 its unlikely to come back a 9.4. If you feel its a 9.6 then Id just leave it alone but if you truly think the book deserves to be graded a 9.8 then I would go for it! smile.gif

Since I'm a Marvel Zombie, that's all I can comment on...so here goes.

Top 5 Gainers:

1. [*]Hulk 1[*]Daredevil 131 (Have you people picking it as a loser forgotten that it guides for only $25!?!?!?)[*]Journey Into Mystery 83[*]Amazing Spider-Man #14 (this issue is more important than any other Spidey issue which precedes it other than AF15)[*]Fantastic Four 49 (MUCH less common than 48 with a better cover featuring Surfer and Galactus)

Top 5 Losers:

1. [*]Ultimate Spider-Man #1[*]Origin #1[*]Ultimate X-Men #1[*]Amazing Spider-Man #1 (too common and not really a key)[*]Fantastic Four #48 (a popular classic, but too common)

top 5 gainers no particular order

1) JIM 83-125, annual 1

2) early DD's, & 131, 158, 168, 181

3) HULK 1-6 ,& 141, 181, annual 1, TTA 59-65

4) MS 2 & 5

5) Defenders 1 & 10, MF 1

top 5 losers no particular order

1) any marvel ultimate line

2) cerebus

3) VF- or lower

4) birds of prey

5) nick fury agent of s.h.e.i.l.d 1

If Bob called ME, someone that I immensely respect, I would be too dumbfounded to speak. I would be temporarily rendered speechless, same as if Jens accidentally ran into Alex Malev, Malvo, or whatever his name is (Jen's favorite artist that copies everything he draws from Sienkiewicz)!!!!

"By non-key Silver or G.A. are you saying early ASMs? Cause I doubt this is the case."

I don't think so, that's why he wrote: "all non-Big Two publishers."

Top 5 gainers(silver age keys):

FF #1

ASM #3

FF #5

DD #7

Hulk #6

Top 5 losers(silver age keys):

FF #48(too common in 9.4/9.6 to hold 1K+)

Captain Marvel #1

Sub Mariner #1

Silver Surfer #4

Cap #100

Top 5 Gainers(Bronze/modern)

GL 76

Hulk 181

Avengers #93

ASM #129

FF #112

Top 5 losers(Bronze/modern)

All USM

Daredevil #131

ASM #100

X Men (byrne issues)

Defenders #1

VF & lower.

Although I agreee with almost all your picks (that Star Wars # 1 35 cent variant keeps proving the naysayers wrong), depending on the era, your choice of "loser" for vf or lower comics is debatable as I still feel that comics especially from the Golden and Silver ages will continue to be desirable in vf or lower grades, and that if a restored market should ever resuscitate, books from the golden and silver ages in vf or lower grades would be prime candidates, and would make vf or lower grade golden and silver books an even hotter commodity. All in all, I really liked you picks smile.gif

laugh.gif

3) First print undergrounds
smile.gif

I like you, and I don't even know you.... personally that is... smile.gif

I would have included "first print" undergrounds in my picks, but then I would have had a whole hoard of members complaining that I was thinking outside the box -- they would say -- what, undergrounds?!?! .. they're not even listed in the OPG!!!

Your picks are spot on... I actually had Pep 23 on my top ten gainers list for quite some time.. in ANY GRADE... those early appearances of Archie are bound to stop some of the pro-hero advocates dead in their tracks with their performances over the next few years. I have almost every single first print underground that is known (and some uknown) to exist. I'm really hoping the OPG does something in the way of including them as either a supplement, or a full-scale addition to their price guide in the near future. I only collected high-grade copies, and I can say with absolute certainty, that I equate locating high-grade copies of key undergrounds on the same level as locating monster high-grade golden/silver-age keys. Before heritage started including key undergrounds in their auction mix, obtaining key undergrounds for decent money was a fairly common excercise... but now.. forget about it!

Silver Age Strange Tales (except maybe 101). The most undervalued Silver Age run and goes for huge multiples in 9.4 or better.

Defintely, one of the most undervalued silver-age marvels -- strange tales -- one of my personal favourites, and a title I'd like to see increase over the next few years.

Most pre-hero Marvels should be on the way up

The only thing that makes me wonder about pre-hero marvels is this: to our generation, books from that period have nostalgic appeal because our parents, brothers, family and friends may have introduced us to the genre; Is is possible that the window of interest for such books will be short-lived and somewhat limited as the newer generations will not have nearly the same interest in it? I find great enjoyment in reading those early mystery, horror, adventure, crime and sci-fi titles, but one has to wonder how sticky such comics are when compared to hero titles from similar era's with the new breed of comic collectors.

Amazing Spider-Man #14 (this issue is more important than any other Spidey issue which precedes it other than AF15)

A very debatable call this one. Will you still be saying this after Spidey 2 comes out with Doc Ock as the lead villain?

I think ASM #14 has moved about as much as it is going to. It is other early ASM issues that are more likely to rise.

My picks for the next few years: ASM #s 3, 15 & 16.

5) Defenders 1 & 10, MF 1

Its questionable how the defenders title will do; I personally have always loved the MF 1 cover, and it was one of the earliest Marvel comic covers I had ever seen... I just recently recieved a CGC NM 9.4 copy for Christmas... yeah, Santa was real good to me this year laugh.gif

Although, I'm looking across to the kitchen, and the same person who was generous enough to buy me the high-grade MF 1 is motioning for the leash, so I may well be in the dog house this night for not washing the dishes, and choosing instead to post on these boards frown.gif

Although, I'm looking across to the kitchen, and the same person who was generous enough to buy me the high-grade MF 1 is motioning for the leash

sorry bro, i just included the defenders 1,10 & MF 1 due to high demand over on eBay. i see some board members dissing on DD 131, 168, & 181. but slabbed copies are still selling for way over guide. i thought usually demand equals price increase wink.gif

Hulk 1

I still think that Hulk 181 will be the front runner in the gainer category once again, outgaining all other issues from that series. Based on what I've seen from the Daredevil trailers, there is a strong chance that this film will be a dud, and may have a negative effect on that title (issues 1-10 are exempt). Moreover, bullseyes on-screen character is a joke, and may well send issue 131 diving down to its current OPG value, whether that be in slabbed/unslabbed high-grades. I place DD 131 on the same level as ASM 149, especially once people have had a chance to see the movie.

Uncanny X-mens 101-150

Although I find your gainers amusing (you must have considerable stock in the Hulk title laugh.gif ), I find your choice of the X-men rather interesting. I wouldn't say debatable as the prices have fluctuated over the past few years... your position has its merits. I guess only time will tell, but I feel that Byrne/Claremonts work in X-Men is one of the most timely and relevant chapters in the modern era, period -- and will withstand the test of time.

Spidey 3? Hehe, no, I don't think so. Most of Spidey's villains are pretty lame with the exception of Venom and the Green Goblin; and the Green Goblin was kinda lame up until Stan started wrapping him up in the whole his-son-is-a-friend-of-Peter's saga that led to them discovering each other's secret identity in 39 and 40.

I somewhat like Doc Ock, but his character is so ludicrous in concept--METAL ARMS?!?!--that they could stick him in all the movies they want and I doubt I'd like him much more. Amongst Spidey's villains he stands out, but that ain't sayin' much.

Most of Spidey's villains are pretty lame with the exception of Venom and the Green Goblin

James, I think you are letting your own personal views of spideys villains cloud your judgement here.

Spider-Man has one of the BEST rouges gallery in comics. And I am not in the minority in saying that.

Doctor Octopus, The Sandman, Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Molten Man, Kraven the Hunter, The Lizard, Electro et all could all make GREAT movie foes for Spider-Man and have potential for first appearance rises in the future.

While I agree that the Green Goblin is Spidey's most enduring foe, do you not think that he has reached his peak?

I really can't see post movie demand generating any great further gains on ASM #14.

I somewhat like Doc Ock, but his character is so ludicrous in concept--METAL ARMS?!?!--that they could stick him in all the movies they want and I doubt I'd like him much more.

I agree; in concept, I really like the villains appearing later in the ASM series; like Morbius, Punisher, Jackal, Scorpion; of the early villains I like the lizard and the green goblin -- Sandman is tolerable, and I really think the Kingpin is being showcased in the wrong movie.

Judging from some of the picks for ASM 3 as a top gainer, I was wondering whether it has been confirmed that Doc Ock is the next main villain in the second Spider-Man movie? Peter Parkers mention of Doctor Connors lead me to believe the Lizard would make his debut.