• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretend for a moment....

84 posts in this topic

The pricing break-out of more and more "classic covers" from the pack.

For sure - this has already happened on prices for golden age books, even if overstreet doesn't break them out. As silver and bronze increase in value, look for the same thing to happen there as well...

Why do you suppose Overstreet has been so slow to respond to this? Just more work, or is it he's of a generation of collectors where the run is the thing (or the low issue number, or what have you)?

I'm a big advocate of buying books for what's between the covers, but with CGC re-enforcing the tendency by collectors to cherry-pick based upon cover, seems kind of odd for the Overstreet book to be so far behind the curve...

Z.

I think it is a lot of work, and if he's not actively involved in those kinds of books (or his advisors aren't), he's not aware of the price differences. In fairness, the last guide did start to break out some late silver/early bronze age books for "classic covers" (like Batman 227). I guess I've migrated from being a writer/character motivated collector (Hulk, early silver age Marvel Superhero books), to being an artist motivated collector (Adams, Cole, Schomburg), and now collect primarily based on the content of the cover.