• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Practices CLOSED

22 posts in this topic

So I would like some opinions from seasoned boardies. I bought and issue on the 25th, as in thats when payment was sent and received. Was asked for my address on July 2. Since then I have asked twice if it was shipped and what the tracking is. I have had no communication from seller since the 2nd when he asked for address. How long do I wait until the next step? What exactly would be the next step? I think it's a bit soon as there could have been some personal issues to attend to, but I'm personally nearing my limit. I dont like great communication until you get paid, then they forget about the buyer. Advice? Opinions? (shrug)

Thanks all

depends where you bought it and what the rules are in that venue. if you bought on these boards, go to the THAT subforum and post the questions there, and read through the rules for the probation list.

depends where you bought it and what the rules are in that venue. if you bought on these boards, go to the THAT subforum and post the questions there, and read through the rules for the probation list.

Yes on boards, That forum hasn't had any action in a while, thats my I PM'ed the seller.

if you wish to use the probation list route to compel completion of the sale, I think its 30 days (probably from payment in this case). warn him at least 3 days ahead of time that you'll put him on the probation list at the earliest possible date if the sale is not completed.

OR

you can just tell him that you're canceling the sale in a few days (if he doesn't communicate) and just be done with it by getting a refund from paypal (or your CC company), although its a bit of trouble.

Don't wait too long that you can't ask paypal for a refund.

So I would like some opinions from seasoned boardies. I bought and issue on the 25th, as in thats when payment was sent and received. Was asked for my address on July 2. Since then I have asked twice if it was shipped and what the tracking is. I have had no communication from seller since the 2nd when he asked for address. How long do I wait until the next step? What exactly would be the next step? I think it's a bit soon as there could have been some personal issues to attend to, but I'm personally nearing my limit. I dont like great communication until you get paid, then they forget about the buyer. Advice? Opinions? (shrug)

Thanks all

Well many people took very long weekend vacations over the July 4th holiday here in the states.

Maybe s/he's been offline?

Yea you have to wait 30 days here on the boards. Is it a common user on the boards? You could also bump their sales thread and see if anyone has heard from the seller. Just be careful not to make a big stink in the sales forum though as that isn't the place for it. It just might get the attention of the seller.

Was it a presale item though? I've bought presale from a pretty regular boardie here. He never responded or even read my PMs. But when he had news to update me on he did.

It sounds like you sent payment via gift. I personally believe some protocol needs to be put in place for boardie's sending/accepting PayPal gift.

I.E. whether buyer asks or not, if a seller is accepting gift payment, the seller should ask for an address, provide an approximate time for when the item will be shipped, and if possible, communicate soon after the item ships to advise the buyer expected time for the items delivery, provide tracking, etc.

This is what I've always done for as long as I've ever sold anything on these boards regardless of whether a buyer paid via gift, but I especially feel this is important as the buyer is pretty much giving up any protection by sending the seller a payment in this manner so I really feel the seller should at least make the buyer feel somewhat at ease from the time the payment is received to the time their item arrives. 2c

It sounds like you sent payment via gift. I personally believe some protocol needs to be put in place for boardie's sending/accepting PayPal gift.

I.E. whether buyer asks or not, if a seller is accepting gift payment, the seller should ask for an address, provide an approximate time for when the item will be shipped, and if possible, communicate soon after the item ships to advise the buyer expected time for the items delivery, provide tracking, etc.

This is what I've always done for as long as I've ever sold anything on these boards regardless of whether a buyer paid via gift, but I especially feel this is important as the buyer is pretty much giving up any protection by sending the seller a payment in this manner so I really feel the seller should at least make the buyer feel somewhat at ease from the time the payment is received to the time the buyer sends payment to the time their item arrives. 2c

What gives you the impression he paid gift? He can't do a chargeback with gift, right?

Generally i do send payment as gift and just include the items in the message/memo line. Personally I hate paypal and anything I can do to not give them money, I try. Paypal makes it difficult to get your money, their customer service stinks and I dont think they should get paid simply because they pretty much have a monopoly with online payments. But that was a rant, sorry. Yeah, I'll wait a few more days, then bump the thread or send some sort of warning.

I get the long vacation part, but if your really good at communicating to get your money you can say, "I'll ship in a week" "Going on vacation" anything. I dont like being in the dark, very unprofessional.

Also I dont meant to cause a stink about it, thats why I figured I'd ask persons with more experience than me.

This is what I've always done for as long as I've ever sold anything on these boards regardless of whether a buyer paid via gift, but I especially feel this is important as the buyer is pretty much giving up any protection by sending the seller a payment in this manner so I really feel the seller should at least make the buyer feel somewhat at ease from the time the payment is received to the time their item arrives. 2c

Wasn't using Paypal gift outlawed on this board? I thought Rule # 9 covered it: "9. List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)"

Or is Personal Paypal and Paypal gift two different things? (I've never used either).

Wasn't using Paypal gift outlawed on this board? I thought Rule # 9 covered it: "9. List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)"

Or is Personal Paypal and Paypal gift two different things? (I've never used either).

It's not allowed to be listed as an option, but that doesn't mean that people won't still send payments this way. doh!

It's not allowed to be listed as an option, but that doesn't mean that people won't still send payments this way. doh!

When I was a new user on the boards my first seller insisted I use Paypal gift. I, of course, didn't know any better. They are a pretty regular seller too. I was surprised when I found out a few months later.

When I was a new user on the boards my first seller insisted I use Paypal gift. I, of course, didn't know any better. They are a pretty regular seller too. I was surprised when I found out a few months later.

I'm not surprised by who tries to scam Paypal this way - hell, Comiclink used to ask for Paypal gift until someone started a thread about it here lol

Generally i do send payment as gift and just include the items in the message/memo line. Personally I hate paypal and anything I can do to not give them money, I try. Paypal makes it difficult to get your money, their customer service stinks and I dont think they should get paid simply because they pretty much have a monopoly with online payments. But that was a rant, sorry. Yeah, I'll wait a few more days, then bump the thread or send some sort of warning.

I get the long vacation part, but if your really good at communicating to get your money you can say, "I'll ship in a week" "Going on vacation" anything. I dont like being in the dark, very unprofessional.

Also I dont meant to cause a stink about it, thats why I figured I'd ask persons with more experience than me.

It's unbelievable this board maintains a "probation list" for situations that can be as minor as grading disagreements and late shipping...things that should be handled properly, for sure...but which are sometimes far less significant than the actual theft being spoken about here.

Oh, it's ok. You see, Paypal is a faceless corporation, and they "make enough money"...

The hypocrisy is stifling.