• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool Lines Art

107 posts in this topic

They know who they are! They can share if they choose.

Again the only "bad" experience I have had was the cost of their product.

You don't gotta name anyone, but it's helpful to everyone if bad experiences are shared.

It feels like 2 to 3 times what a "choice" asm bagley page should go for (the $1500 price), and I don't think it's a "wall hanger"... I think the last one in this issue went on eBay for $250ish with more panels and a little more spidey but not the splash of punisher falling backwards that may make it worth a little more...

I also feel like these guys are collectors with some amazing pages that they picked up long ago (at a much cheaper time) that are willing to sell if you're desperate to buy at the inflated price... And hey, in five years we might be wishing we could have bought these pages at this price

But right this moment it still seems a little crazy...

You don't gotta name anyone, but it's helpful to everyone if bad experiences are shared.

Okay, I'll share. Back in Nov. of 2010 I tried to work out a trade with them, I put up more than a dozen pieces (three of them being covers) just for them to pick one piece from a list of stuff I saw on their website. These were all covers, but I felt with three covers that I was offering, plus several splash pages, it was more than fair for just about any ONE of theirs.

They get back to me, tell me they didn't have any interest in the covers I had (saying nothing about the splash pages), but that they would "generously" sell me the pieces and put prices next to each piece of theirs in my list. One of these pieces was the cover to Incredible Hulk Annual #13. The asking price for that? $3750!

Unbeknownst to them (or maybe they did know and just didn't care), I had seen that very piece on their eBay listings, as a Buy It Now, for $1950. So, they quoted me a price for almost DOUBLE what they were asking for it on eBay. Needless to say, I told them off and said I saw the scam they were pulling on me. Shortly thereafter, the Hulk Annual cover was not relisted on their eBay account.

This is the mentality of these slimebags. I don't give a damn what anyone who's actually gotten a piece from them thinks. These guys are scam artists and a blight on this hobby/business. And that's MY story of "dealing" with the Donnelly Bros.

Here is another prime example of how out of touch they are with their prices. On their Ebay store they have a Marvel Feature#1 pg 18 by EVERETT & ANDRU. This page has been offered for years and was previously listed for $2,995 or best offer. I submitted a few very reasonable offers, both of which were declined. I just recently observed that they relisted the page for $4,950 or best offer. I guess logic dictates that if you can't sell a piece at the current price for a few years, it definitely will sell if you increase the price tag by a couple thousand. I understand it is their art and they can ask whatever price they want for it, but as for portraying themselves as comic art dealers, it leaves a blemish on the hobby.

Ebay

Here is another prime example of how out of touch they are with their prices. On their Ebay store they have a Marvel Feature#1 pg 18 by EVERETT & ANDRU. This page has been offered for years and was previously listed for $2,995 or best offer. I submitted a few very reasonable offers, both of which were declined. I just recently observed that they relisted the page for $4,950 or best offer. I guess logic dictates that if you can't sell a piece at the current price for a few years, it definitely will sell if you increase the price tag by a couple thousand. I understand it is their art and they can ask whatever price they want for it, but as for portraying themselves as comic art dealers, it leaves a blemish on the hobby.

Ebay

I have seen the same thing happen with covers I was wanting with them; not selling at 5K, raise it to 7K.

from High Fidelity "Sometimes I got so bored of trying to touch her breasts that I would try to touch between her legs instead. It was like trying to borrow a dollar, getting turned down, and asking for fifty grand instead."

:ohnoez:

Rich Donnelly was on these boards for a while. Always pleasant and courteous in his posts (despite the underlying vibes of discontent aimed at him and his brother's worrying business practices).

Over the years, I've had a number of approaches made to me by his brother, Steve, about art I have that's of interest to him.

Such exploratory discussions with Steve never seem go anywhere. It's as if he expects me to jump through hoops for any would-be deal (and Steve has always initiated talks with me).

In recent months I had an offer of $25,000 from Steve for two Russ Heath 1950s Atlas (pre-Marvel) covers I own/owned.

One of the covers, Battle Action # 3 was (then) on loan to Paris Fred for his Russ Heath exhibition at Palma.

The combined offer fell short of my expectations, so I suggested $20,000 for the Astonishing # 8 pre-code horror cover and $10,000 for the war cover.

No response from Steve.

After the exhibition, Paris Fred found me a buyer for the Battle Action # 3 cover at $10,000 (thanks, again, Fred).

I offered the remaining horror cover to Steve at $20,000 (which I think is FMV).

Again, no response from Steve.

If that's more than he wanted to pay, that's fine - I'm not desperate to sell - only a "thanks, but no thanks" type of response would have brought a courteous (and logical) end to discussions.

To want to deal with the brothers, I think it helps if you have masochistic tendencies.

Me, I don't like painful experiences . . .

Only suggestion I'd want to make, is that if you value your dignity (and sanity) higher than any art the brothers have that you want - look elsewhere to spend your hard-earned cash (or trade items).

I know what a brick wall is, and I don't want to bang my head against one . . .

Within the first year I entered this hobby (about 9 or 10 years ago), I contacted them, not knowing really how things worked. I mean they seemed to have so much great stuff. They listed "inquire" and so I inquired about something. They responded very quickly with a price that was indeed about 3X more than I expected. I was still pretty new to the hobby, so my estimations may not have been spot on... but it was, I thought, an absolute ridiculous amount. I have not "inquired" since. And although I may not have the most expensive collection on the planet, in terms of transactions, a lot of money and art has gone through me and by handling that first inquiry with such an audacious price gouge... I have not sent a dime their way. That being said, they aren't exactly hurting from it. Plenty of collectors in the sea I suppose.

Despite all the criticism they come in for, they seem to thrive.

They appear to be collectors who deal (to help consolidate or fund their collecting aims), if heavily in their favour.

They have some great stuff, but so do other dealers.

No shortage of great art out there. I rarely look at Steve's latest CAF additions . . .

They appear to be collectors who deal (to help consolidate or fund their collecting aims), if heavily in their favour.

No shortage of great art out there. I rarely look at Steve's latest CAF additions . . .

Their latest CAF additions are usually just Ebay, Heritage or CLink auctions that they've won with a 3X price increase over the closing bid. You aren't missing much.

Their latest CAF additions are usually just Ebay, Heritage or CLink auctions that they've won with a 3X price increase over the closing bid. You aren't missing much.

Another good reason to give auction items your best shot.

If you lose out to a dealer, expect to see a significant mark-up in price.

Then if you don't win, you can walk away in the knowledge you tried your best.