• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it crazy for me to ask my LCS if.............

64 posts in this topic

.......I asked them for a .25 cent discount on new books?

By local, I mean I have to drive an hour to get there but hey, thats not my complaint, I love being surrounded by comics. Since it's not really local, and getting my new books online from DCBS, I still like to support this shop every now and then. I'd say I make about a $50 purchase each month. I talk to the owner every time. Very cordial. This time I was in town and stopped for my niece to see if they had any MLP comics. She has the first two.

Now this shop seems to stock the last 3 months worth of a title in the new comic wall and charges cover. He had the last 4 months of MLP on the wall and the also the micro/mini series too. Total of 6 books. I also grabbed 6 other new titles for myself.

Walk up to the counter. "If I purchase these books would it be possible to get a quarter off each book?" I saw by the disgusted look on his face that I just asked a no no.

"No way I can do that, pal." he actually called me pal. lol"I can sell them for much more on eBay." That ebay statment really irked me so it's on.

"Well, half of these books were sitting there last month so I think thats a pretty reasonable question."

"You should look into getting you new comics online."

"I do and I get a great discount but I come here because I wanna support a lcs. I would even set up a pull list if I have to but you mean to tell me you can't give me any kind of discount today?"

Again, the Gas Face."Sorry there's nothing I can do for you? I do give out free plastic bags with each comic."

"Wow. Thanks." I put the comics back on the wall and left.

Had to vent but now that I think about it, was I the a-hole for asking such a question? lol

No way bro!!! You were in the right......... don't you forget it. It might feel like you were wrong, cause it seems you have a heart and give a hoot. But come on buying that many and asking for a discount? He should of given you a discount to make a sale, he didn't make a good business decision, and he might of lost a customer or 2 if word gets around.

No not at all a great comic shop already has discounts in place

my local comic shop they automatically give 10% off each book

since i purchase alot he gives me 30% off all comics (thumbs u

you were not wrong at all he was a di(K

Boy, I'm going to sound like the bad guy but here is my take. You were perfectly fine asking for a discount. He was fine saying no. Simple as that. If I order stuff in advance, I expect an agreed upon discount . If I see a comic that is bringing good money on eBay then I'm happy to pay cover for it. I'm not sure what MLP is or how much it goes for but my shops all sell stuff at a premium if they are bringing a premium on eBay. Can you buy the same books cheaper elsewhere ?

Had to be the one to disagree here, but all my local shops dont give any discounts on any new books. I do know one that if you do like Jaded said and spend $100 or so a month they will give you a discount on pre-orders and pull lists.

One shop basically told me that it is where they make their weekly money. Back issues and other merchandise are periodic sales. Now a volume selling store should be able to give some discount. I can understand why a small shop wouldn't do it they just wouldn't survive.

The internet has changed the comic book model forever. I understand the OP point. Why go to a local shop when I can get 30-40% off my monthly books and will easily overcome shipping monthly. Its a decision I still struggle with.

It is still a great feeling to walk in the shops. I buy most of my stuff online too but try to spend at least a little to help the local guys. I also like talking to these guys. They are all interesting around here and usually have a great story to tell or offer a little good advice as to what's hot.

No store in Philadelphia gives a discount on anything. One store bumps there prices up a quarter if it goes in the long boxes to cover costs for bag and board (and what store is paying 25 cents for bag and board).

A few months ago I bought a series of #1-#28 that was still on the shelf. I asked for a discount, but they looked at me like I was crazy.

No store in Philadelphia gives a discount on anything. One store bumps there prices up a quarter if it goes in the long boxes to cover costs for bag and board (and what store is paying 25 cents for bag and board).

A few months ago I bought a series of #1-#28 that was still on the shelf. I asked for a discount, but they looked at me like I was crazy.

Let's be honest. Looking at you like you're crazy had nothing to do with the discount request. :baiting:

It is still a great feeling to walk in the shops. I buy most of my stuff online too but try to spend at least a little to help the local guys. I also like talking to these guys. They are all interesting around here and usually have a great story to tell or offer a little good advice as to what's hot.

I use to spend 10% of my speculation profit at a LCS, but that has definitely changed the more I went in. I haven't been to one in weeks.

I want to side with the store owner, because I drive an hour to my LCS rather than have a pull list through DCBS. But, the store owner you referred to evidently does not give discounts for folks with pull lists, when my LCS does. I don't think you're in the wrong for asking or even trying to haggle. Getting upset over a quarter seems kind of harsh though.