• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it crazy for me to ask my LCS if.............

64 posts in this topic

I never haggle at any other retail or restaurant I frequent why would I at a LCS?

Comic book stores are a bit different than most other types of retail establishments. Its not the same thing.

Obviously all stores operate differently in regards to discounts and haggling and what have you, but when you are in the business of selling used things (like old comic books), the price of which is largely dependent on their condition one can see why a customer haggling with the shop owner over the price of a book would be common.

And while the books in this specific case were just released new books, it is still a common practice for shops to give discounts to regular customers.

Like most users here, I've been in shops where its obvious the "price is the price". I've been to shops where the owner expects a bit of haggling, I've even been to a shop where the owner volunteered to haggle over the price.

It all just depends on the owner. There are plenty of decent shop owners out there, just as there are more than a few absolute who act as if your presence in their store is nothing more than an inconvenience. You don't have to be socially adept to run a comic book store.

Is it?

I'm gonna haggle over the price of my groceries next time. And if they say no I'm just gonna walk out without them and starve. THAT'LL SHOW 'EM.

For comic shops, yes it is. That is why they typically offer discounts for people who set up pull lists with them.

Reading comprehension, not even once.

*Also the creator of this thread walked out because of the way he felt he was treated by the employee/owner he spoke with, not because they declined to give him a discount.

I never haggle at any other retail or restaurant I frequent why would I at a LCS?

Comic book stores are a bit different than most other types of retail establishments. Its not the same thing.

Obviously all stores operate differently in regards to discounts and haggling and what have you, but when you are in the business of selling used things (like old comic books), the price of which is largely dependent on their condition one can see why a customer haggling with the shop owner over the price of a book would be common.

And while the books in this specific case were just released new books, it is still a common practice for shops to give discounts to regular customers.

Like most users here, I've been in shops where its obvious the "price is the price". I've been to shops where the owner expects a bit of haggling, I've even been to a shop where the owner volunteered to haggle over the price.

It all just depends on the owner. There are plenty of decent shop owners out there, just as there are more than a few absolute who act as if your presence in their store is nothing more than an inconvenience. You don't have to be socially adept to run a comic book store.

Is it?

I'm gonna haggle over the price of my groceries next time. And if they say no I'm just gonna walk out without them and starve. THAT'LL SHOW 'EM.

For comic shops, yes it is. That is why they typically offer discounts for people who set up pull lists with them.

Reading comprehension, not even once.

*Also the creator of this thread walked out because of the way he felt he was treated by the employee/owner he spoke with, not because they declined to give him a discount.

You didn't specify comic shops. Writing ability, not even once.

How was this guy treated badly anyway? By saying he could sell his comics for more on ebay? When you ask for a discount and the guy says no, you don't keep hammering the issue. The store owner probably thought this guy was ridiculously rude. Or just ridiculous for driving an hour and then leaving with no books over the sake of $3. lol

Is it?

My grocery store also offers a loyalty card that saves me money on certain items. I guess in a way they do the same thing after all. Each store in my area offers a discount on certain items.

And your example is very flawed. Heck milk is a huge loss leader for grocers. They aren't going to let you have it for less.

Comics aren't in the same ball park. This is even more true when they charge mark ups on back issues.

Is it?

My grocery store also offers a loyalty card that saves me money on certain items. I guess in a way they do the same thing after all. Each store in my area offers a discount on certain items.

And your example is very flawed. Heck milk is a huge loss leader for grocers. They aren't going to let you have it for less.

Comics aren't in the same ball park. This is even more true when they charge mark ups on back issues.

Who's talking about milk? Doesn't matter what the item is. Shops get about 1000% mark-up on bottled water. I don't see me getting a discount on it any time soon. But yeah comic shops are different .

The fact is this: it doesn't matter if every other comic shop in the world offers discounts to regular customers. Your LCS doesn't have to and... god, what is the point of this thread? doh!

You didn't specify comic shops. Writing ability, not even once.

How was this guy treated badly anyway? By saying he could sell his comics for more on ebay? When you ask for a discount and the guy says no, you don't keep hammering the issue. The store owner probably thought this guy was ridiculously rude. Or just ridiculous for driving an hour and then leaving with no books over the sake of $3. lol

Uh, yes, I was pretty clear in the sentences preceding the statement you felt making a fuss over that I was talking specifically about comic shops:

"Comic book stores are a bit different than most other types of retail establishments. Its not the same thing.

Obviously all stores operate differently in regards to discounts and haggling and what have you, but when you are in the business of selling used things (like old comic books), the price of which is largely dependent on their condition one can see why a customer haggling with the shop owner over the price of a book would be common."

How was he treated poorly? For starters "pal" is not a term of endearment in that context. Also the owner/clerk told Jaded Savage in not so many words to basically go pound sand and to take his business elsewhere when he suggested to him that he could get his comics online.

Is it?

Who's talking about milk? Doesn't matter what the item is. Shops get about 1000% mark-up on bottled water. I don't see me getting a discount on it any time soon. But yeah comic shops are different .

The fact is this: it doesn't matter if every other comic shop in the world offers discounts to regular customers. Your LCS doesn't have to and... god, what is the point of this thread? doh!

Your logic on bottle water is totally wrong. Horrible example. When I worked in pizza we barely made anything on bottled products. The owner of the store I ran said it was more a courtesy to deliver bottled products. And we were buying directly from Coke. It is actually fountain drinks where the money is. When I worked in a burger joint we would buy a bag of soda for like $30 dollars. One bag would make about 120 large sodas or something. We charged 3 dollars a soda though. I don't remember the exact conversion on it.

The company that sells the bottled water, like Dasani or Deer Park (those are water brands, right?), make a lot of money.

Fine to ask for a discount.

Fine for him to say no.

One local shop I frequent a lot never gives me a discount on new books (not that I buy many). They only give the discount if you have a file.

They give free bags and boards with purchases.

The owner usually knocks $ off (if I ask) when I buy multiple back issues (that have been priced).

When I buy a huge stack of dollar box books they round down on the price and the cashier gives me some bags and boards even though those are for new comic purchases.

I'll often get first crack at new dollar box books when they come in.

I figure I fish enough good stuff out of their dollar boxes to make the relationship worthwhile.

I've probably spent $1000+ a year there for the last 7 or so years.

But then again, he has a bunch of frequent customers who drop by, so there may very well be 50 - 100 customers who drop that much there every year.

I think it depends on the market that you are in. If you live in a high cost of living area, like Cali, New York, New Jersey, then you probably won't get a discount because margins are tight. However, in area like mine (tampa, fl), there is lots of competition, cost of living is relatively low, so a buyer can probably position a discount easier.

most stores i see in NYC give a discount for FILE customers, not someone wandering in off the street unless you come in frequently. the discount for the file customer makes a lot of sense for the shop -- it helps them avoid overordering, etc.

"I do appreciate that they charge cover price for a 3 month old comic. Some shops can't wait to upcharge on books."

This I don't get. It didn't sell for 2 or 3 months on the rack at $2.99. Why do they think it will sell for $3.50 in the back issue bin?

Your logic on bottle water is totally wrong. Horrible example. When I worked in pizza we barely made anything on bottled products. The owner of the store I ran said it was more a courtesy to deliver bottled products. And we were buying directly from Coke. It is actually fountain drinks where the money is. When I worked in a burger joint we would buy a bag of soda for like $30 dollars. One bag would make about 120 large sodas or something. We charged 3 dollars a soda though. I don't remember the exact conversion on it.

The company that sells the bottled water, like Dasani or Deer Park (those are water brands, right?), make a lot of money.

I saw on the apprentice that shops buy bottled water for about 10p (so it must be true) :)

To make you happy, next time I'm in a "burger joint" I'll go ask for a discount on my drink. I'm entitled to a discount dammit.

Fine to ask for a discount.

Fine for him to say no.

^^

Because of the attitude he received with the answer to his question? Why would you want to support an LCS that treats you like dirt when you ask for a discount?

I don't typically get a discount at my LCS, but they're certainly willing to discuss such things without being condescending .

Maybe he was or maybe he wasn't condescending. He's not here to tell his side of this really cool story.

"you mean to tell me you can't give me any kind of discount today?" sounds like the customer being a . ZOMG NO DISCOUNT HOW RUDE.

Cool, assume the boardie is a lying sack of mess (even though he has nothing to gain by making this story up and posting it here) and the LCS owner was totally wronged by OP's incredibly offensive request for a discount.

Go back to your bedazzling, noob.

"I'm gonna haggle over the price of my groceries next time. And if they say no I'm just gonna walk out without them and starve. THAT'LL SHOW 'EM."

The cashier doesn't own the grocery store.

I dunno, if I bought $52 of beer, soda, chips and ice cream at the bodega on the corner I probably wouldn't feel too awkward asking him if he'd just take my $50 bill given that he's the owner.

But yes, I don't haggle with my dry cleaner---well, maybe on alterations if they seem to be too wacky.

Because of the attitude he received with the answer to his question? Why would you want to support an LCS that treats you like dirt when you ask for a discount?

I don't typically get a discount at my LCS, but they're certainly willing to discuss such things without being condescending .

Maybe he was or maybe he wasn't condescending. He's not here to tell his side of this really cool story.

"you mean to tell me you can't give me any kind of discount today?" sounds like the customer being a . ZOMG NO DISCOUNT HOW RUDE.

Cool, assume the boardie is a lying sack of mess (even though he has nothing to gain by making this story up and posting it here) and the LCS owner was totally wronged by OP's incredibly offensive request for a discount.

Go back to your bedazzling, noob.

You called me a noob! :cry::cry::cry:

I got to 2 LCS that are not far apart from each other, my favorite store gives me a 10% discount on everything I buy, plus they take me with to help them work at cons. Granted I work for them during the cons, but I still have time to get stuff. I helped them at C2E2 and a few others. I have a pull box and they usually will give me stuff out of it for helping them at the cons.

Asking for a small discount is imo no big deal.

I agree on getting 10%. Most LCS give it to customers who buy 10 titles a month,

I think this is a case of Katchoo just arguing for the sake of arguing. Troll. lol

So I had to make the drive to the "big city" today and make a Sam's and STRBX run today (Wifey loves her iced coffee) so I decided to stop in the shop. Was greeted with a big "Hello." The owner and I exchanged pleasantries. I proceeded to go grab some books and went to the register. Here's the exchange:

"Sooooooo do you flip these books online?"

"Naw but I do flip the ones I buy online at my flea market booth. My towns only book shop only deals with DC books so I get the Marvel's and TWD's from DCBS and sell them since I get a good discount. The books I buy in your shop are usually back issues for myself and my brother."

"I want to apologize for being rude last time you were here. I had regulars in before you came in who were bragging how much they were getting for flipping books that I sold them. Totally pissed me off."

"I can understand that and I want to apologize if I came off as whiney mitch 'cause I diddn't get a discount." We both had a good laugh and I set up a pull list with a discount. Win win.

I was really dreading stopping in but I'm so glad that we were able to squash any animosity that might of reared it's head during our last transaction. It does bring up a point: The B&M dealers out there do feel the pinch of all these internet hustlers. Not by the established business but by every Stan, Jack, and Kane with a email and Paypal account. It must kill them to read these sort of speculation threads on internet boards but, then again, not everyone is in it to make a quick buck so please don't try to put the displaced hate on me (customers). I would think these B&M dealers do know who these flippers are just by their orders and If I was Jerry (Hey Dude!) I would try to limit them some how. Not to lose sales but maybe teach them some manners.

But then again, it's all part of the game, right?

Hey Taco is showcase comics on south st still around. back in the day i had a pull with them and they did either 10% or 15% cant remember

Showcase is out by Villanova. I think they also have a store in some mall, but Villanova is the main one. I live by Fat Jack's (that's on the corner of 20th and Sansom) and I sometimes ride over to Brave New Worlds in Old City, but I think all back issues get sent to the other store when the shelf fills up.

The store that I was talking about that bumps it up 25 cents when it goes in a long box is Comic Universe out by the airport. He usually has a decent back log of moderns though.

Edit: The store on South St. is Atomic City. I've actually never been to it. Maybe I'll go through there this weekend if it is still open.