• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the story with this new ebay seller?

21 posts in this topic

anybody know the story here? A brand new seller with nice books... but whats really interesting is his notes on the scans on his website. He states where the books were bought.. and what the dealers gradied them!! And they came back a few notches lower fron CGC! This is nice for us to know, but it isnt going to sit well with the dealers is it?

Is ther more to this story we collectors should know before buying from this newcomer??

intersting sales approach!

I don't know whether he's legit or what his story is, but I think it's great! Maybe he's getting out of collecting so doesn't care about the repercussions.

Hmm, JC could have used this guy for support in his attack on Metropolis, he appears to have a more legitimate beef than JC's lame complaint.

yeah... its valuable info that is very useful to us going forward.... just curious why this guy risks friction with the big guys to sell a few books.... The CGC grade is what it is now that its slabbed, so now that its fpr sale from him, that all thats important to make the sale. Adding what anybody graded it raw, especially Metro!, is just superfluous info that doesnt affect the sale at all and only serves as a slight on others.

Isd like to see HIS raw grades before slabbing!!!

I'm curious as to whether any of the other books he lists were graded by any major dealers, and if so, were the grades the same or lower than the CGC grade. As for the books in which a grade comparison is shown - as long as he is truthful, there is nothing wrong with it. Who's to say that CGC didn't "undergrade" one or more of them. It's not as if CGC's own grading hasn't floated a couple of grades on a few resubs.

There was one dealer's website ( I don't recall who) where the dealer listed his own pre-submission grades on CGC books whether they higher, lower or right on target with CGC's grades.

Given the subjectivity of grading, I think it's crazy to pay more than a 25% premium going from one grade to the next, unless you think the book is undergraded.

I agree with that in principle...but once a book is slabbed, you can only see the covers, and at a distance. Definitely less thorough than actually holding a book in your handes and not thru plastic. I often figure that in when trying to determone if they over or undergrade a book.

And... as long as most of us believe in CGCs grading acumen, well, once its slabbed --- thats the grade!!

He states where the books were bought.. and what the dealers gradied them!! And they came back a few notches lower fron CGC! This is nice for us to know, but it isnt going to sit well with the dealers is it?

Honestly this kind of "information" really isn't. When did he buy them? How did he store them? Did any of his buds read them? If the grades were so off for some couldn't he see that and return them instead of submitting them? (my experience with Metropolis is they don;t even ask why a book is being returned - just return it.) More questions too but that is the gist for a one-liner like that.

At least when I got my Metro books I posted good ized scans and said what the grades were.

There was one dealer's website ( I don't recall who) where the dealer listed his own pre-submission grades on CGC books whether they higher, lower or right on target with CGC's grades.

I don't know if he does it on his website, but in the last printed catalog that I received from Marnin Rosenberg, he listed his grades alongside the CGC grades.

I don't know if he does it on his website, but in the last printed catalog that I received from Marnin Rosenberg, he listed his grades alongside the CGC grades.

He does the same thing on his website.

Yep, usually Marnin's grades are one notch higher or lower than the CGC grade. Fairly consistent, really.

And of course he always provides very colorful commentary when the CGC grade is lower than his grade! 27_laughing.gif

I was thinking about doing something similar with the seller MRGA

They graded a book NM and it had both the cover and the centerfold detached. they have refused to do anything about it. Revenge is about the only avenue available to me

I was thinking about doing something similar with the seller MRGA

They graded a book NM and it had both the cover and the centerfold detached. they have refused to do anything about it. Revenge is about the only avenue available to me

shocked.gif

He states where the books were bought.. and what the dealers gradied them!! And they came back a few notches lower fron CGC! This is nice for us to know, but it isnt going to sit well with the dealers is it?

Honestly this kind of "information" really isn't. When did he buy them? How did he store them? Did any of his buds read them? If the grades were so off for some couldn't he see that and return them instead of submitting them? (my experience with Metropolis is they don;t even ask why a book is being returned - just return it.) More questions too but that is the gist for a one-liner like that.

At least when I got my Metro books I posted good ized scans and said what the grades were.

This gives new meaning to the term devil's advocate. devil.gif

When I bought a book from Metro that they had taken off the market Vincent said I had 7 days to return it if I wasn't satisified with the book. confused-smiley-013.gif If your a buyer you just have to take a look at the books and decide.

So many people can't grade. They sometimes accept a given grade as gospel.

I think a lot of Ebay sellers learned how to grade from buying books off Mile High. tongue.gif

I'll buy this...send it to CGC...stick it on Ebay....and make a mint. acclaim.gif

I took a look at his site. Have no idea who this person is. However, the two books listed as coming from Metropolis, with raw grades attached to them, are simply impossible. I checked my database going back to 1989. I have never had a JIM#86 graded at 9.2 NM- (or on my older scale 37) I did sell a Fant #12 9.0 raw about 9 years ago but that collector still has it and it ain't this guy.

Perhaps those book came from us at some point (I have no idea), however, the raw grade info that is listed is simply not true.

I checked his ebay auction and saw that he has a 0 feedback. Be careful.

I have emailed this person and am waiting for a response.