• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird looking piece being sold as Kirby on Ebay

8 posts in this topic

I'm gonna say Mike Machlan.

2007-05-08_172604_JB_MikeMachlanMarvelTwoInOneAnnual01Comm_20070508_Thing_Liberty_Legion.JPG

This person was making the rounds a while ago trying to get folks to agree that this was a Kirby commission.... sigh. Some folks just don't want to believe that their civil war pistol handed down from generation to generation is a knock-off from China...

Sad thing is that I really like the commission. It's a cool redo of the cover from the first Charlton issue of the Dan Garrett Blue Beetle. What's not to like? It's got "the GIANT MUMMY who was not DEAD!"

Here's the discussion about it on the Byrne board from 2012:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42786&PN=7&TPN=1

Funny thing is that this was the discription from an ebay auction in 2012-

"40'S,50'S,60'S,ORIGINAL BLUE BEETLE ART. COVER, SPLASH PAGE,KIRBY, DITKO???????"

"1940'S, 1950'S, BLUE BEETLE ORIGINAL ART. IS THIIS ART A COVER, SPLASH PAGE, PUBLISHED, UNPUBLISHED? WAS IT STEVE DITKO? WAS IT JACK KIRBY? CAN

ANYONE TELL ME WHO WAS THE ARTIST? WAS IT A COVER OR A SLASH PAGE.16 7/8" X 10 7/8".

and now it's being described as

"I have had this for what seems like forever. I got it from my father he got this commissioned from the King himself Jack Kirby. My dad was a huge Blue Beetle fan and this us the Blue Beetle #1 he had re-imagined by King Kirby. This is a beautiful piece as you can see in the pictures. Just a few small spots of white out. I must sell this as well you know life happens and I've got plenty of art. There is a small reserve but nothing near what it's worth. Any questions or If you need more pictures let me know. Shipping will be free and bullet proof. I hope you enjoy this piece as much as we have."

So, yeah... good times?