• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Point of Pain: Where Comic Book Lust Exceeds Cash

26 posts in this topic

Fellow GA Collectors,

About a year and a half ago I started collecting in earnest. I had some extra cash to burn so I did so on some sweet GA. Then I sold some stocks to buy more GA. Alas, I'm at that point where I can't sell anything else - without being completely financially reckless - except comic books to buy more comic books. I just consigned my sweet Daredevil Battles Hitler signed by Biro and a restored Suspense Comics 3. It's like selling friends to get new ones - it ain't right!

At some point we have to part with some of them keep the most dear to your heart and part with the rest as you upgrade.Sometimes we treat them as our children call me crazy but that's what it is like selling your children :insane:

Fellow GA Collectors,

About a year and a half ago I started collecting in earnest. I had some extra cash to burn so I did so on some sweet GA. Then I sold some stocks to buy more GA. Alas, I'm at that point where I can't sell anything else - without being completely financially reckless - except comic books to buy more comic books. I just consigned my sweet Daredevil Battles Hitler signed by Biro and a restored Suspense Comics 3. It's like selling friends to get new ones - it ain't right!

Don't sweat it Vision. It is a way of collecting life for many of us. Our collections become revolving buffets. The downside is selling books to buy different books. The upside is you get renewed excitement each time the buffet gets something else on the table.

I regret selling many of my books and original art of the years. But I always enjoy the new "friends" that become temporary members of my revolving buffet

I haven't sold a book in nine years (and I still regret selling that one), but I can relate to the financial pinch. I cancelled the collision insurance on my car a few months ago in order to have more money for comic books (and then promptly got into an accident ).

I haven't sold a book in nine years (and I still regret selling that one), but I can relate to the financial pinch. I cancelled the collision insurance on my car a few months ago in order to have more money for comic books (and then promptly got into an accident ).

Are you serious? That's horrible. :(

I am serious. I hadn't had an accident in years, and then about a month after I cancelled the insurance...BAM.

I'm still trying NOT to sell anything. I do have a handful of GA dupes that I do need to sell off but that's it. I have been thinking about it though, as I still collect modern stuff weekly and I'm up to nearly 21,000 books. I've been thinking of dumping some stuff off to fuel my GA needs, but we'll see...

I am serious. I hadn't had an accident in years, and then about a month after I cancelled the insurance...BAM.

Get this: my childhood comic shop burned to the ground the day after the owner missed his fire insurance payment.

Get this: my childhood comic shop burned to the ground the day after the owner missed his fire insurance payment.

Ouch! I hope he didn't have too much GA in stock. (I often wonder what percentage of even major pedigrees like Reilly/San Francisco and Church/Mile High have been lost to fires and floods in the last 30 or 40 years.)

Ouch! I hope he didn't have too much GA in stock. (I often wonder what percentage of even major pedigrees like Reilly/San Francisco and Church/Mile High have been lost to fires and floods in the last 30 or 40 years.)

He had some Silver Age that survived that was stolen by firefighters (he suspects). I doubt much Golden Age. I used to buy 30- and 40-c cover price waterlogged comics from him he would bag up and sell 10 for a dollar (I was 10). I threw a bunch of them out a couple years ago but kept a few. Somewhere I have a Silver Surfer with an inch burned off the right edge.

It might be time for an intervention.

Fellow GA Collectors,

Don't sweat it Vision. It is a way of collecting life for many of us. Our collections become revolving buffets. The downside is selling books to buy different books. The upside is you get renewed excitement each time the buffet gets something else on the table.

I regret selling many of my books and original art of the years. But I always enjoy the new "friends" that become temporary members of my revolving buffet

I really enjoy this outlook!! It is a super optimistic way of viewing our collecting lives which we should have bc comics in general and by nature are FUN and are positive parts of ourselves!! sometimes without even knowing it we can cause ourselves unnecessary stress by worrying about things like this. As some of you may know I recently sold many of my favorite SA KEYS to make a run at a GA book that I really really wanted!!! I unfortunately did not win this book so naturally I was slightly upset. I did however use some of the money that I had earned from my sales to purchase an FF#1 And re-acquire another copy of showcase 22!! These "friends" are always more than welcome at my buffet!!! I am still on the hunt for this seemingly rather elusive GA book and know someday I will acquire it!! When the day presents itself I may have to sell off more of my other books but hey, my buffet in my eyes will be a feast for kings!!! I stated this before but I often think part of the fun is just this exact thing!!! I can't afford to own every book that I want all at one time and I am realistic about this...I have to manage my collection and my budget!!! I still enjoy what I do have and what I have had in the past and really look forward to what I may own someday in the future!!! I also enjoy watching all of you manage your collections and sharing them with the rest of us!!! AS ALWAYS HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!! May your glasses be ALWAYS FULL and may the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past!!!!

Fellow GA Collectors,

I really enjoy this outlook!! It is a super optimistic way of viewing our collecting lives which we should have bc comics in general and by nature are FUN and are positive parts of ourselves!! sometimes without even knowing it we can cause ourselves unnecessary stress by worrying about things like this. As some of you may know I recently sold many of my favorite SA KEYS to make a run at a GA book that I really really wanted!!! I unfortunately did not win this book so naturally I was slightly upset. I did however use some of the money that I had earned from my sales to purchase an FF#1 And re-acquire another copy of showcase 22!! These "friends" are always more than welcome at my buffet!!! I am still on the hunt for this seemingly rather elusive GA book and know someday I will acquire it!! When the day presents itself I may have to sell off more of my other books but hey, my buffet in my eyes will be a feast for kings!!! I stated this before but I often think part of the fun is just this exact thing!!! I can't afford to own every book that I want all at one time and I am realistic about this...I have to manage my collection and my budget!!! I still enjoy what I do have and what I have had in the past and really look forward to what I may own someday in the future!!! I also enjoy watching all of you manage your collections and sharing them with the rest of us!!! AS ALWAYS HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!! May your glasses be ALWAYS FULL and may the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past!!!!

(thumbs u :applause:

Fellow GA Collectors,

Wow! What's the story behind Biro signing the DD 1? Apparently he was only 60 when he passed away in the early 1970s...

Fellow GA Collectors,

As an italian who never saw a Golden Age books (mostly) before 2011, I can sympatize with that: I spent more on comics in the last two years that in my whole life (in terms of time/expenses ratio, I mean).

And since I started because of Biro's Daredevil, I am even more touched by your post – a DD #1 signed by Biro? :o

Said this, reverting to Silver/Bronze/Copper pretty much made me stop buying Golden. SA/BA/CA are always replaceable, but GA to me in some cases is easier to let go. It just depends on the book.

The best thing is to take a volontary absence from the boards, from eBay and from dealers' sites, if the money is tight – otherwise it is a disaster… :boo: