• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 variant?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Canadian copy.

Absolutely NOT.

Pretty sure it is...explain please... (shrug)

It's funny how "variants" often get labelled as being Canadian.

I live in Canada. I was living in Canada and had this book when it came out - guess what? No blank inside covers.

Canada did not have different versions of Marvel comics (or DC comics for that matter) in the 60s. We got the same versions as those issued in the US (unlike the UK that DID have 9P versions of 60s Marvel comics). They were priced the same and had all of the US ads in them.

As such, why then would Marvel issue a few mid 60s giants with blank interior covers in Canada - it doesn't make sense.

We know that there are at least a Thor annual, one of the Strange Tales annuals and this one with the blank covers. Why? I don't know. Maybe they issued a smaller run of each before the advertising was ready - for whatever reason.

This being said, it does't mean that some of these blank interior cover annuals didn't end up in Canada for sale originally but it was NOT an exclusively Canadian version.

This being said, it does't mean that some of these blank interior cover annuals didn't end up in Canada for sale originally but it was NOT an exclusively Canadian version.

Hmmmmmmm, just because you brought the non-blank version though does not mean that the blank version wasn't a Cananda exclusive. It means that there was a non-blank version and possible a "variant" version, only sold in Canada.

I personally have no idea, but I do not think you can say based on your argument that it was NOT an exclusive Canadian version.

What else do you have?

I have always seen the blank cover editions described as Canadian. Certainly the "Blank" version ASM Annual # 2 that I owned back in the day was purchased off of the newsstand in Southern Ontario in 1965.

My hypothesis is that Martin Goodman saw an opportunity to increase ad revenue by offering cheap ads (production costs already being covered by the US versions) to Canadian advertisers.

Then he was caught off guard by a change in Canadian import law.

Split-RunPeriodicals_zpsfb6226be.jpg

This is only conjecture but the timing invites speculation.