• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what should I buy

60 posts in this topic

You should get what you like,don't worry about investment issues.If the book does go up,it's a plus.If it doesn't,you still have a book you love. (thumbs u

+1

If you're looking to "invest" probably go with the one key in the highest grade you can afford. If you're looking to collect get whatever will actually make you happy.

Buy as many FF #52 as you can for $1000 irrespective of grade.

Slab them - from 2.5 - whatever - the profit margin in this book is bonkers.

It has virtually tripled in the last 2 months.

The ones 'they' don't tell you about are the ones to buy.

For $1000 you should be able to buy 10, press them, slab them and enjoy.

The Black Panther will be here in 2015/2016.

For $1000 - X-Men #1 will be garbage and Hulk #181 is the most overvalued book on the market - it will crash - and soon (3 years tops)

FF #52 (thumbs u

I fully expect a really nice bottle of cider in the post when you triple your money!

Yes I know a boardie has a xmen #1 1.0 for sale right now, but the whole cover detached wrapped in tape is sort of a turn off for me

Wait a little bit. Every once in awhile a nice low grade presenting copy of key books comes along. I'm sure you could find one if you keep looking/waiting.

Wait a little bit. Every once in awhile a nice low grade presenting copy of key books comes along. I'm sure you could find one if you keep looking/waiting.

+1

Patience.

Here is my 2c ...

I just got back into collecting after a 16 year hiatus. I collected from when I was a kid through age 18. You obviously never really have much money during those times. So when I got back into it in December, I discovered CGC/graded books AND finally had much more money to spend.

So, Daredevil being my favorite character I thought... hm ... what can I buy. So I thought, no way I can buy a DD #1 and even if I could, why would I spend that much money on one book when I can "spread the wealth". So I started to buy Miller's run in high grade and thought that was the great solution. More books = better, right? Fast forward to June. After I had bought most of the Miller DD's, I started really just dreaming of owning a DD #1... my grail. I looked at what I had spent on the Miller DD's and thought doh! I could have afforded a nice DD #1 if I had just waited! So I started that WTT thread - my entire collection for a DD #1. But that's a tough trade to make so no biters. Luckily, a DD #1 "found me" - found a great Boardie to set me up with time payments. I can tell you, once I got it... :cloud9: Much more than the Miller DD's! So, I know when you try to rationally think it out that "more is better"...not necessarily.

I would honestly look at GPA figures (I can send you some for X-men #1 if you don't have it) and figure out realistically what is a grade/goal worth aiming for. Your'e obviously not going to get a 9.0 copy or anything like that unless you want to save for years. But if you have about $1,000...for maybe a $1,000 more and some luck - you get a 4.0 copy?

Also, you have to think - which book is guaranteed to continue to go up - not for investment because if you truly love the book, you won't sell it so that won't matter - I mean, go up so it will be more difficult to buy in the future with the prices. X-Men #1 will, without a doubt, continue to go up in price. And it's a rare book to find in a decent grade. So I say put all your chips down and pick up the nicest copy of X-Men #1. You won't regret your decision in the future... and if you did, you could sell your copy in a second. And finally, owning an X-Men #1 comes with a sense of pride I mean. You see the sales threads on here when people announce them, it feels like a grand "announcement" (worship) . You'll have one book that will absolutely be the pride of your collection and you'll own your "grail".

One thing to also keep in mind, that HarveySwick sort of alludes too, if you drop a lot on a high grade book you likely won't lose your money. If stuff happens, you can always resell a nice book for at least you initial investment. If you buy lower graded copies it isn't as easy.

We all sit and say we won't ever sell, but you just never know what is going to happen.

Go for the one book.

X-men #1 for a grand, will get you maybe a 2.0 (GPA is over $1k, but there have been half a dozen individual sales below that mark)

Personally Im a big fan of X-men #4 with the 1st appearance of Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Toad and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, but its a pretty popular book right now to hold due to movie speculation so they are few and far between (though one sold here not long ago).$1,000 should net you as much as an 8.0 based on sales, if you can find one.

As others have said when in doubt by the best copy of the book that you love most.

Im in the "GSX 1 and UXM94 are plentiful so they are less desirable" camp, but again get the book you love in as high a grade as you can afford.

One big book

I get much more satisfaction from one big book.

I save up all year for one big key,only buying a small book here or there.What I do is have a separate bank account aside from the families,put in 20,40 or whatever I can afford each paycheck.You will be amazed at how much money you can save,but you have to be strong and just forget that the account is there and not take any money out.then once I have enough for my grail book I start looking for that right book,all while still putting that money away.Otherwise I could never afford the big keys I have now,but with a little tenacity and focus you will be able to get those grails,and be much prouder of your collection because you worked hard for that particular book that took you all year to get.Then once you acquired one book,it's time to save up for the next grail,rinse and repeat. 2c

One big book

I get much more satisfaction from one big book.

I save up all year for one big key,only buying a small book here or there.What I do is have a separate bank account aside from the families,put in 20,40 or whatever I can afford each paycheck.You will be amazed at how much money you can save,but you have to be strong and just forget that the account is there and not take any money out.then once I have enough for my grail book I start looking for that right book,all while still putting that money away.Otherwise I could never afford the big keys I have now,but with a little tenacity and focus you will be able to get those grails,and be much prouder of your collection because you worked hard for that particular book that took you all year to get.Then once you acquired one book,it's time to save up for the next grail,rinse and repeat. 2c

Oak is wise.

Also I always think about liquidity, and a $1k book is relatively easy to liquidate (for at or near what you paid).

Trying to liquidate a half dozen books that are mid-grade takes a lot longer, and probably wont net as even a return.

X-men #1 2.0 is hard to find under 1k. Took me a month or so but I got mine for $950 a few weeks back.

Great book. Highly recommend that one if you can find it for a decent price in your budget.

Always go for best book in best grade you can afford over the multiple books.

Just about everyone you talk with will tell you that. I think a lot of us (myself included) did it the other way. Hindsight, being 20/20, I would've gone for the keys first.

Always go for best book in best grade you can afford over the multiple books.

Just about everyone you talk with will tell you that. I think a lot of us (myself included) did it the other way. Hindsight, being 20/20, I would've gone for the keys first.

Very true. When I get a stash of cash to buy a book, I try to buy a big one, because I can plink away at the small ones anytime.