• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2023 at 11:25 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I was very happy to get this one, but it was expensive!!!

Strange Tales 74 7.5 c-ow front.jpg

Another post vanished...  :facepalm:

:headbang:

Awesome score man! Only one 8.0 and four other 7.5's top the census. Extremely nice :cloud9:

-bc

On 7/18/2023 at 6:15 PM, bc said:

Another post vanished...  :facepalm:

:headbang:

Awesome score man! Only one 8.0 and four other 7.5's top the census. Extremely nice :cloud9:

-bc

Thanks buddy! I bought it a few years ago and GPA tells the story of me shelling out strong loot! :ohnoez:  There's just something about that brown banner (like the AF 15) that gets me every time.  (thumbsu

On 7/19/2023 at 8:40 AM, Frisco Larson said:

GREAT pick-ups @Robot Man!!! I only have one of those, so I'm a lil envious!   :cheers:

World of Fantasy 9 front.jpg

I have quite a few now. As I said, there are so few pre-code PCH books I need that I have been slowly picking these up the past couple years. Due to their lack of hard core horror, they have been overlooked a bit and are still affordable. Many have nice suprise interior art as well. There are many Everett, Heath and Severin classics mixed into a bunch of runs. Worth seeking out. I think the Mystical Tales is my favorite of the bunch and one I was really looking for.

There was one at Torpedo high on my want list but the price was crazy. Over double what I have seen it sell in the past year or so. I hated to but I ended up passing. I will get it for a decent price if I just bide my time…

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/19/2023 at 10:59 AM, Robot Man said:

I have quite a few now. As I said, there are so few pre-code PCH books I need that I have been slowly picking these up the past couple years. Due to their lack of hard core horror, they have been overlooked a bit and are still affordable. Many have nice suprise interior art as well. There are many Everett, Heath and Severin classics mixed into a bunch of runs. Worth seeking out. I think the Mystical Tales is my favorite of the bunch and one I was really looking for.

There was one at Torpedo high on my want list but the price was crazy. Over double what I have seen it sell in the past year or so. I hated to but I ended up passing. I will get it for a decent price if I just bide my time…

Of the books you posted, I only have the one issue I posted, but I DO have a growing pile of other issues around that same timeframe. They DO have a bit of a different flavor to them vs. the later monster books. I like both but have concentrated more of the monster issues. 

On 7/19/2023 at 12:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Although I have a LOT of the pre Marvel “monster” books, I prefer these more. Maybe a little more sofisisticated and diverse art and story wise. 

more diverse, sure.    I think the monster books were generally quite a bit better, tbh, but they were somewhat repetitious, that's true.   Then again, so are superheroes.

Apart from some everett interiors I find some of the atlas era books a bit hard to look at; while good in spots, the art isn't as consistent as it got a little later during the monster era.    Kirby and Ditko drawing basically every book sure helped.

For me, the allure of the atlas era books boils down to:

1. Everett; and

2. Real scarcity in any kind of mid or higher grade.     The monster books are difficult in high grade, the Atlases are even worse.   A hg example is a special thing.

That's compelling enough, but for my money, not enough for me to get too lathered up as compared to the monster books.

Edited by Bronty

I think the majority of the higher-grade copies are locked up in the collections of long-time collectors. I get them when I see copies that I can afford and deem worth the selling or auction price. This copy here doesn't have the most exciting cover I've ever seen, but it's the second highest graded, with one other copy in grade and only one copy nicer at 8.0. After 23 of CGC grading, you'd think there'd be more in high-grade.  (shrug)

World of Fantasy 11 7.0 ow-w.jpg

On 7/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I think the majority of the higher-grade copies are locked up in the collections of long-time collectors. I get them when I see copies that I can afford and deem worth the selling or auction price. This copy here doesn't have the most exciting cover I've ever seen, but it's the second highest graded, with one other copy in grade and only one copy nicer at 8.0. After 23 of CGC grading, you'd think there'd be more in high-grade.  (shrug)

World of Fantasy 11 7.0 ow-w.jpg

In my vault:

WOF_5.thumb.jpg.7255b865691146ed7734cc934d9c62d3.jpg

wof_16.thumb.jpg.56b973fa1b30d4b58670e34bbf673c82.jpg

-bc

On 7/19/2023 at 7:30 PM, bc said:

In my vault:

WOF_5.thumb.jpg.7255b865691146ed7734cc934d9c62d3.jpg

wof_16.thumb.jpg.56b973fa1b30d4b58670e34bbf673c82.jpg

-bc

Incredible copies @bc!!! This era of late Atlas/early Marvel Silver Age doesn't seem to get the love I think it deserves! I actually think that's across the board: the western line, teen humor, etc ... just kind of a largely forgotten about era by MOST of the hobby at large. It's very difficult to obtain high-grade copies of ALL Atlas/Marvel genres of the period!!! I guess the upside is that there may be less competition when it comes to buying.  (shrug)  Anyway, beautiful copies pal ... so feel free to open those vault doors any time you want!!!  :banana:

On 7/20/2023 at 11:00 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wait bc, I think you're forgetting that you sold me that WOF #5! lol

DOH!  :tonofbricks:

I know I sold you several of them, probably should clean them out of my pics folder!

:peace:

-bc