• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Does anyone what happened to the Pre-hero Marvels from the White Mountain collection. I remember reading in the Comicbook Monthly update that they sold for 6 x guide but it never said who to.

They were not sold all at one time and I don't recall the story in CB Monthly but if you provide the issue date or some notes from it I may be able to provide more info.

Here are some of the ones that have made it into my hands (2 are not WMs).

PreHeroGroupsmallish.jpg

It's hard to imagine...but when the WM's surfaced ,the pre heros weren't all that popular...and were very cheap in the guide. A hundred bucks could pick up a REAL nice copy of most. When I first started collecting them in the early 90's I was snagging solid fines for 25 to 30 bucks a pop...but they were hard to find. They still are in fine or better. Even though Stan recycled the same 3 or 4 stories over and over, I still love finding one that I haven't read. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The pre-hero collecting didnt take off until the about 93-94. It all started with some articles in the old Comic Book Marjetplace magazine that talked about "Marvel prototypes"...then the Price Guide started to list them and demand for these puppies just got greater and greater. It was then that collectors began to realize how rare they were in HG.

I got into them in the late 80s, but didnt really start collecting HG copies until the early 90s. Durign that time, I scooped up a bunch of them from the likes of Marnin Rosenberg, Conrad Escheberg, and Joe Krolik. I finally finished the entire run about 3 years ago.

Sure the stories have been recycled countless times, but each one is unique in its own way -- especially those Ditko 5 pagers!

Prehero Grail Acquired!!! Great Ditko cover filled with menace + mystery :cloud9:

Scans do not do it justice, it is (worship)

AAF13.jpg

WOW!!!(How many times am I gonna say that on the Pre-Heros you are posting... doh! )

Rich

That's :cloud9: great and a white pager!!!! Where did that come from?

Thanks guys! The previous owner contacted me through the registry + I snapped it right up. He won it in one of the fall Clink auctions. This is another second chance grab as I was going to bid on this book, but got the auction end time wrong + missed my chance!! doh! It has all worked out famously now though + everyone's happy!!! :banana:

Please accept this somewhat belated :o:o:o

There is no statute of limitations on :o :o :o , so post 'em when ya got 'em!!

Ok

:o:o:o

A friend owned that book before it was slabbed and it's a wonderful copy of what is my favorite Ditko pre-hero cover. Awesome pickup! :headbang:

Please accept this somewhat belated :o:o:o

There is no statute of limitations on :o :o :o , so post 'em when ya got 'em!!

Ok

:o:o:o

A friend owned that book before it was slabbed and it's a wonderful copy of what is my favorite Ditko pre-hero cover. Awesome pickup! :headbang:

Thanks AS!! I wonder what else he has in that collection............. hm

Prehero Grail Acquired!!! Great Ditko cover filled with menace + mystery :cloud9:

Scans do not do it justice, it is (worship)

AAF13.jpg

Rich....any way you could PM me a ballpark figure on what this went for....I've got a buddy who has one he's thinking about slabbing and it's close to 9.0....they're VERY tough in that grade.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u