• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Finally got a nice copy of this lil gem!

I am putting this in the pre-hero thread, cause it has a great monster cover by Everett, an T-Rex story by Bob Brown, and ...oh... there is a nifty early Altas Ditko story: "The Vanishing Martians". A nice book that you dont see everyday.

MT_147001.jpg

That book is super sweet :golfclap: You dont see many ,especially in that condition.

I'm in a bit of a "buggy" mood, so I thought I would show some insect covers!

Cool cover...

TOS_24.jpg

The "sister" book to TTA #27...I wonder if the "Bee-Man" could have been turned into a hero? I doubt it, but he would have made a nice addition to the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants...

TOS_32.jpg

Finally got a nice copy of this lil gem!

I am putting this in the pre-hero thread, cause it has a great monster cover by Everett, an T-Rex story by Bob Brown, and ...oh... there is a nifty early Altas Ditko story: "The Vanishing Martians". A nice book that you dont see everyday.

MT_147001.jpg

Love it...I need a copy of that Alaskan/Arctic Theme....very cool

This is one of my favorite pre-heros! This one has got everything...a great giant lobster cover &story by Kirby, a moody Heck doomsday tale, and perhaps the BEST Ditko pre-hero story: "Something Lurks Inside".

TTA_10.jpg

The Ditko story is about a brave astronaut who lands on an alien world inhabited by...gruesome giant spider creatures -- who seem to grow from microscopic size to enormous proportions...I wont spoil the ending!

The Ditko story is about a brave astronaut who lands on an alien world inhabited by...gruesome giant spider creatures -- who seem to grow from microscopic size to enormous proportions...I wont spoil the ending!

This sounds like a good bed-time story. I dont remember it. I have to go dig my issue out now and read it.

DRX

This is one of my favorite pre-heros! This one has got everything...a great giant lobster cover &story by Kirby, a moody Heck doomsday tale, and perhaps the BEST Ditko pre-hero story: "Something Lurks Inside".

TTA_10.jpg

Ditko's art for the story is superb! (thumbs u

A couple of my Pre-Hero Strange Tales

StrangeTales87.jpg

StrangeTales89.jpg

Those are wonderful books! :cloud9:

A couple of my Pre-Hero Strange Tales

StrangeTales87.jpg

So Grogg is pretty much Fin Fang Foom without the beard and with wings - and has a more dynamic cover, but Foom gets all the love. I guess it's all in the name.

It really is a VERY cool book. The Heck story is one of my favorites...some of his best work ever....kind of has an E.C. feel to it. I've really grown to love his work when he inks it himself. Back in the day it seems everyone I knew scoffed at him...I guess his style was so different from the Kirby and Ditko stuff we all loved. It also has a robot story that's awesome. The work is either Sinnot or Heath....stunning. A lot of folks remember Sinnot as an inker, but his illustration skills were top notch also. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here are some pre Kirby and Ditko (henceforth referred to as PKD) Strange Tales that have some interesting covers, but for the most part have some mediocre art and stories. With a few exceptions with a Williamson or Torres story here or there, we can only thank goodness for Stan Lee to bring in Kirby, Ditko and Heck to energize this title.

This issue is fairly hard to find. This Everett cover is very striking.

STR TALES 60

Can you believe this cover.Attack of the killer washing machines.

STR TALES 61

STR TALES 62

STR TALES 63

STR TALES 64

STR TALES 65

STR TALES 66

I love the way Everett's use of duotone to create a three-dimensional feel to those cliff covers. Here's another one.

UncannyTales55.jpg

STRTALES60.jpg