• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

I can share one of them at least :cloud9:

ST-087-85rosland.jpg

:o :o :o :o :o :o .......................... :headbang:

One of the best pre-hero covers. This is an awesome specimen.

Ditto. I've never had a grog. Or a Grogg.

This was a question posed in ComicsGeneral. Does anyone have additional information that they can add? AtlasFan? TurtleBoy?

If you buy a White Mountain from the 60s on, the year is inked under the month on the front cover and there are address stamp(s) inside the book (Oddly, the 1950 pre-hero WMs that I see are unmarked on the front cover).

1. When did White Mountain start inking the year numbers on the front cover and 2.

I did a little digging and there's no precise answer to your question as there are inconsistencies to the FC distributor marks.

The early Marvel pre-heros do not have any distributor marks at all. (It's possible there are some exceptions as I haven't seen every one.)

In early 1960 you'll start to see occasional Month/Day distributor marks.

In early 1961 you'll see occasional use of 2-digit year.

From middle 1961 on you'll see the start of fairly consistent use of a 2-digit year, though there are 3 different occasional exceptions: 4-digit year, Month/Day and no marking at all.

This one group shot of books should suffice to demonstrate the inconsistency (all but the 12 are WMs).

AmazFantRunsm.jpg

Alan is pretty spot on...the cover marking are not consistent.

Here are 3 different flavors of WMs, all with different markings:

1) the classic penned inked year on the cover:

WOF_17.jpg

2) date stamped on the splash:

ST_95.jpg

ST_95_splash.jpg

3) no stamp (there may be a stamp on the splash...i will have to dig this one out):

TTA_05.jpg

Thanks for the reply as that Worlds of Fantasy is the earliest 4-digit year I've seen. All of my copies are free of a "year" distributor's marks until Feb 61 issues and even then it's not consistent.