• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

"Look! Behind us! We're doomed! It's Diablo!"

What can you say to that??!!! Classic!

You just have to "marvel" at how this odd horror stuff somehow turned into Fantastic Four and Spiderman.

You just have to "marvel" at how this odd horror stuff somehow turned into Fantastic Four and Spiderman.

Absolutely! thumbsup2.gif

The pre-here genre was a breeding and testing ground for a lot of ideas that Stan and the others ended up fleshing out later in Marvel's super-hero period.

Tales of Suspense 6 has a great story about "mutants" -- defined in that story as people who have mutated to develop extra powers beyond the scope of normal humans -- and is clearly the prototypical theory for the entire X-Men and mutant mythos of the Marvel Universe!!!! 893whatthe.gif And the main characater who poo-poo's the idea ends being a person with the power to phase through soild objects (hello Kitty Pryde prototype??)

I also loved how many of these monsters were resurrected in the Bronze Age and beyond (Hulk fought the Glob, Zzutak, and others; Xemnu (the Hulk protoype) was a Defenders villain; Fin Fang Foom and Colossus were used in Astonishing Tales; and FFF returned again in Iron Man in the late 200s).

PS: Angelo, that's a nice pickup from Ebay! yay.gif

Tales of Suspense 6 has a great story about "mutants" -- defined in that story as people who have mutated to develop extra powers beyond the scope of normal humans -- and is clearly the prototypical theory for the entire X-Men and mutant mythos of the Marvel Universe!!!! 893whatthe.gif And the main characater who poo-poo's the idea ends being a person with the power to phase through soild objects (hello Kitty Pryde prototype??)

I never knew that before. Interesting stuff

Thanks, adamstrange. I really enjoy collecting pre-hero comics. The chase is what makes it so fun.

Angelo

Agreed -- your post reminded me that it's time to scan a book or two. I'll try to get to that this weekend.

Feel free to post as many of your gorgeous White Mountains as you want thumbsup2.gifhail.gif

Angelo

Absolutely! thumbsup2.gif

The pre-here genre was a breeding and testing ground for a lot of ideas that Stan and the others ended up fleshing out later in Marvel's super-hero period.

I also loved how many of these monsters were resurrected in the Bronze Age and beyond (Hulk fought the Glob, Zzutak, and others; Xemnu (the Hulk protoype) was a Defenders villain; Fin Fang Foom and Colossus were used in Astonishing Tales; and FFF returned again in Iron Man in the late 200s).

I really hope Marvel decides to reprint the rest of the pre-hero titles in the Masterwork series. I'd love to read all those prototype stories....and look at the great art, of course.

Angelo

I never knew that before. Interesting stuff

Much to learn, you have. Young Jedi....

Saw the cover and I just had to buy it.

j14cgc6.jpg

Sorry, SS, I kept meaning to post how sweet a copy that is. Those real early pre-hero issues are so tough to find in any decent grade. Great pick up! hail.gif

Angelo

JIM617.jpg

That's a sweet book Angelo! Didn't I sell you a #61 a while back?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, Roy. I sold it to Andy (october), as he collects pre-hero mummy covers. Worked out great for both of us.

Angelo

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, Roy. I sold it to Andy (october), as he collects pre-hero mummy covers. Worked out great for both of us.

Angelo

Did somebody say "Pre-Hero Mummy Covers"??? yay.gifheadbang.gifcloud9.gif

TTA31vfplus.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Angelo

Did somebody say "Pre-Hero Mummy Covers"??? yay.gifheadbang.gifcloud9.gif

TTA31vfplus.jpg

Dam it! You always have a trump card!

Angelo