• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

It is an interesting question - one has to wonder about the prediction's veracity as compared to homage being made to a lost friend.

Whether Maneely could be as prolific as Kirby, I have no clue. But talent-wise, yeah I think he's right up there.

Maneely was really fast, often doing pencil gestures and then everything else in ink. And, a phenomenal talent as well.

However, I'm not sure that his style would have shaped the comic world forever like Kirby's did. He'd have fit in to some amazing niche, tho; I'm certain.

Maneely was really fast, often doing pencil gestures and then everything else in ink. And, a phenomenal talent as well.

However, I'm not sure that his style would have shaped the comic world forever like Kirby's did. He'd have fit in to some amazing niche, tho; I'm certain.

I'm in agreement with you on that. (thumbs u

Maneely was a superb draftsman, technically superior to Kirby, but Jack had that "OOMPH" that took Marvel to new heights.

I just can't see a Maneely Hulk comparing, for example. Joe's Sub-Mariner covers from the '50s are good examples. Technically nice to look at, but no Avengers #4 cover!

Here is my weekend haul from the Dallas con plus another gem. I picked up the JIM #63 and 66 from our own Bedrock. Based on the cover writing I suspect they may have come from the same collection (you can't see the writing that well on the #63, but a bit of it does cross the yellow in the title). The #66 is well represented by the scan, while the #63 has a half inch tear and a similarly sized water spot on the top edge of the back cover. Still pretty books. The #82 was a purchase off the internet, graded as a VF- and certainly looks it in hand.

JIM63.jpg

JIM66.jpg

JIM82.jpg

My 1st and only pre-hero marvel. It could be love :cloud9:

4e7d4982.jpg

A mark wilson buy, no? was he negotiable on pricing? I remember seeing it listed for 4k (?)

Big congrats :)

Maneely was a superb draftsman, technically superior to Kirby, but Jack had that "OOMPH" that took Marvel to new heights.

I just can't see a Maneely Hulk comparing, for example. Joe's Sub-Mariner covers from the '50s are good examples. Technically nice to look at, but no Avengers #4 cover!

I think Maneely would have been a good fit for the pre-hero fantasy stories, but he was not a super-hero artist. Aside from Black Knight and the Yellow Claw (maybe?) I dont think he was ever involved in the creation of a super-hero. Jack, of course, had lots of experience with heroes long before 1961.

I am sure that Maneely could have cranked out stories about Kirby-created-heros with no problem - a Maneely Hulk would have been very interesting.

Edited by AtlasFan

4e7d4982.jpg

A mark wilson buy, no? was he negotiable on pricing? I remember seeing it listed for 4k (?)

I thought I saw that book in the last Clink auction, but I might be misremembering...

4e7d4982.jpg

I thought I saw that book in the last Clink auction, but I might be misremembering...

Perhaps, wilson was selling it on ebay before and he bought it in a clink auction some time back.

I was too busy to even really take notice of this last clink auction.

Perused some results and did see that -inducing OOG tos27 original art (killer splash page + 5 panel pages). 25k reserve though.

4e7d4982.jpg

This was a clink pick up for me. Iv never bought a pre-hero marvel before, but this has long been one of my favourite covers of any marvel comic book. I know it was a big step to take when moving into a new period of marvel books than Iv collected before but I couldn't resist. Unfortunately due to this I'm not sure of the books history before my purchase. Would certainly be interested to find out

I can tell you it was bought at clink for about 2500 maybe a year ago, presumably by Mark, and, I guess unsuccessfully, flogged by Mark on ebay at about a 4.2 to 4.4k price point.

Super book, congrats.

Oh wow, I see you won it for 2250. You lucky SOB :D great pickup :)

Thanks for that bit of history it's really appriciated. Like I said being new to the period and unsure of the cost of this book without any GPA or other sales history I was worried I'd seriously let my heart rule over my head and overpaid. I thought it was worth it though. Good to hear that Iv got a great book at a fair price. :grin:

You're welcome!

And for just over a couple grand on a 9.4, you really can't go wrong. Most/many of these books aren't even on the census in those kinds of grades.