• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Yeah, those were some pretty books. There are a couple left. I had a few of them, all with nice page quality and cover quality.

Enjoy, Dan!

(thumbs u

Something else to consider when trying to determine the beginning of the pre-hero Marvels from the Atlas era, would be the death of Atlas great Joe Manneely, July 1958, and his last published piece being the cover to Gunsmoke Western, November 1959.

From Wiki:

Death

On the night of his death, "past midnight of what was early Sunday morning," June 7, 1958, Maneely had dined hours earlier with fellow laid-off Atlas colleagues, including George Ward and John Severin, in Manhattan.[27] He did not have his glasses with him, and was killed when he accidentally fell between the cars of a moving commuter train on his way home to New Jersey.[28]

Fellow Atlas artist Stan Goldberg recalled that on the night of Maneely's death,

...Joe [told] me that he'd been in the city the week before and had lost his glasses. He didn't even know how he'd gotten home that day. So this day came and he went out drinking and went out to get some air between the trains, and he fell off the train. When they found him, he was still clutching his portfolio. I remember [production staffer] Danny Crespi calling me on Saturday morning to break the news. [...] The family had a rough time after he died. The Maneelys had daughters and a lot of bills. They had just bought a big house, too, and didn't have any money put away.[29]

His last original published story was the five-page Ringo Kid tale "One Bullet Left" in Gunsmoke Western #53 (July 1959), and his final comics work was the cover of Gunsmoke Western #55 (Nov. 1959), featuring Kid Colt and Wyatt Earp. Marvel editor-in-chief Stan Lee opined in the early 2000s that had Maneely lived, "he would have been another Jack Kirby. He would have been the best you could imagine".[24]

What a tragedy it was about how Joe Maneely died.

I received two comic orders in the mail today (about 50 comics), and this happened to be one of them (Maneely's last comics work).

I think I will keep this one for a while. hm

PS- I know this is not an Atlas thread (and this is not a pre-hero book), but it fits in with Fuelman's shared facts about Maneeley's death, so I thought I'd share it here.

gunsmokewestern55.jpg

Edited by Blind Owl

I told myself, I told myself, I told myself... that I'm not going to get into higher grade pre-hero Marvels.

And then this comes along yesterday; it's my first pre-hero Marvel slab:

100_7524.jpg

Now you just have to crack it out of the case, Steve. sleep.gif

Nice spineage! :headbang:

This is one of the books I received this week.

I've had several different copies of this book over the years.

The first time I owned a copy I was 8 yrs. old.

That was in 1962 when this book came out. :)

So it's nice to now have another copy, even though it's a reader, that even makes it better for enjoying, and this time I'll keep it.

Something interesting about this book is that when my daughter was a little girl, I would tell her bedtime stories (like all good Daddy's), and once in a while I would use comic stories instead of actual fairy tales, and the cover story of this issue is one story I remember telling her when she was around 6 yrs. old (I didn't make it very graphic). I thought it was a cool little tale.

Anyway, here's Strange Tales #98.

st98.jpg

Edited by Blind Owl

This is my all time favorite cover(old copy) got it from a very Cool boardie

bdf4075d.jpg

New copy I'm in love :cloud9:

01c66195.jpg

Trying to get the first 5 issues (It's hard work) lol

I love that cover myself. :applause:

Don't have them in hand yet.....from www.wwcomics.com :gossip: ...when Ritter says a book has White pages, by george, it DOES. I got a Superman 141 from them a while back, and not only did it have white pages, but the pages had gloss on them. When was the last time you saw a 1960 D.C. like that ?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ST97fine.jpg

RFTM2.jpg

Edited by jimjum12