• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

The change away from the watercolor/ wash technique is part of it but I feel like there is something else I cant put my finger on....

Overall though I feel the earlier covers tend to have better coloring than the late ph and hero books. Thoughts?

My favorite pre-hero wash cover - its almost 3D!

ST_75.jpg

The change away from the watercolor/ wash technique is part of it but I feel like there is something else I cant put my finger on....

Overall though I feel the earlier covers tend to have better coloring than the late ph and hero books. Thoughts?

My favorite pre-hero wash cover - its almost 3D!

ST_75.jpg

That's a great cover! :cloud9:

My latest eBay pickup:

ST69CGC.jpg

Every once in a while there are still a few gems to be found there.

.....another tough one. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Does anyone know what happened with the cover coloring between the early and late issues?? If we look at that beautiful tos6 posted above, the thing from the swamp has been beautifully watercolored. Flas forward to the later issues - say #31 on... and they are much flatter in comparison. Not only is there less contrast but also that beautiful watercoloring is gone and we really dont see it from that point on.... on neither the late PH books nor the early hero books .

I've included links below to TOS and TTA galleries on GCD that allow you to see the runs as a whole. TTA has a big drop off in color design quality after issue 10 but TOS seems more consistent throughout. I do feel that Jack got tired of monsters as time went on and that his later covers are not as good. Perhaps that affected the colorist as well?

I've never thought that much of Marvel's color design in the 1956 - 1964 timeframe and consider it inferior to DCs. I know that Marie Severin started her career at Marvel as a colorist but not sure when that was and whether it was her or someone else working during the early SA. Her work at EC is absolutely superb, especially 1954-1955, but I don't know that she ever hit that same level later in her career.

http://www.comics.org/series/1442/covers/

http://www.comics.org/series/1443/covers/

i love how the basically reused the same Monsters with different names in different titles

My latest eBay pickup:

ST69CGC.jpg

I was the underbidder. I had you bid up to your max and one more bid would have won it but I let it go. Still not sure why. Great looking book. Congrats !

My latest eBay pickup:

ST69CGC.jpg

I was the underbidder. I had you bid up to your max and one more bid would have won it but I let it go. Still not sure why. Great looking book. Congrats !

Thanks! I knew my bid had been scoped out and I was a sitting duck, but that was actually about what I was prepared to spend so I put in a small level of defense and let it ride. I was frankly pleasantly surprised to win it. If I ever decide to sell for some reason I'll give you first crack at it.

Thanks! I knew my bid had been scoped out and I was a sitting duck, but that was actually about what I was prepared to spend so I put in a small level of defense and let it ride. I was frankly pleasantly surprised to win it. If I ever decide to sell for some reason I'll give you first crack at it.

(thumbs u I would appreciate that opportunity. Thanks.

Since they are all Pre Heros I am posting it here too! Love this picture! :cloud9:

A5755E70-D148-4066-B86E-E8D5BE3FF768-12273-000011A4C3EC73AA_zps931b87e4.jpg[/img]

That is just awesome!

:headbang::headbang::headbang: Sweeeetnesss!!!

The start of something very good! :applause: