• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,227 posts in this topic

Shows how little I know, the JIM 52 only went for 3600 bucks. At that price I wish I had bid higher although who knows where the top bidder's max was. I suspect I would have been bridesmaid no matter what I bid.

Kind of a bummer though as that's one of my favorites of the early books.

well, that can be dangerous talk, there IS such a thing as overpaying, and they can be tough to sell if you want to unload a bunch at once without weakening the market. But as you say for the most part we all seem to want to hang on to them. You're right that they are very satisfying to own. Getting a nice one actually feels like something a little bit meaningful and special as opposed to the hero books we see every 10 minutes.

I was speaking strictly for myself in that post, not as a general assessment of the market or anything. I know you can overpay for these, and I see it all the time. They can also be tough to sell because they are something of a niche market still, but can you imagine the competition if these ever get mainstream?

Sure, I get what you mean. And yeah, no doubt. I think there is some of that now. I guess its anybody's guess as to whether it lasts. If they ever go somewhat mainstream then I want to be in RickStarr's and Korvac's wills.

well, that can be dangerous talk, there IS such a thing as overpaying, and they can be tough to sell if you want to unload a bunch at once without weakening the market. But as you say for the most part we all seem to want to hang on to them. You're right that they are very satisfying to own. Getting a nice one actually feels like something a little bit meaningful and special as opposed to the hero books we see every 10 minutes.

I was speaking strictly for myself in that post, not as a general assessment of the market or anything. I know you can overpay for these, and I see it all the time. They can also be tough to sell because they are something of a niche market still, but can you imagine the competition if these ever get mainstream?

Sure, I get what you mean. And yeah, no doubt. I think there is some of that now. I guess its anybody's guess as to whether it lasts. If they ever go somewhat mainstream then I want to be in RickStarr's and Korvac's wills.

I don't see these comics ever going mainstream. I think that this thread has pulled some people into collecting these comics. I enjoy that not everyone is on the hunt for these. And the higher grade copies do get snapped up for pretty big money most times. Pre Heros along with Westerns and Romance comics are my favorites to collect as of right now. Thankfully not many people have jumped on the Western or Romance comics bandwagon. (shrug) And that is fine with me. That JIM 52 is sick! Still need a copy for my collection.

^ I agree with all of that actually.

But let's not say mainstream let's say 50% more collectors. That's not much at all but it would be a huge impact.

That being said I agree. I like that the way things are now

Shows how little I know, the JIM 52 only went for 3600 bucks. At that price I wish I had bid higher although who knows where the top bidder's max was. I suspect I would have been bridesmaid no matter what I bid.

Posted this to Bronty as well in the CG Comiclink Results Thread...

Dan

As I originally posted in the SA PH Thread...in spite of it's extreme rarity in HG...this to me is a fairly non-descript issue. (Even in spite of what KirbyJack thinks... lol ). As you will recall the recent TTA 30 9.8 only book of its kind it sold for well less than the boardies speculating on the final price/market value.

I think this is even somewhat exacerbated by the recent popularity of certain characters, villians, creatures, monsters, robots, aliens, etc that have zoomed to extreme popularity and market value.

This book fell into "this ain't one a those..." Reality bites. Dollars are flowing to the keys (and of course all market steady/strong books) at the present frenzy and ALL other books are suspect until proven otherwise...especially when talking HG and significant dollars shelled out or to be shelled out... 2c

But of course if that was a collector who bought that book off the rack or at some later point in time for pennies...he may just be saying tonite...$3600 bucks for a 10-cent book...damn, life is good! :insane::headbang:lol

I don't know about the PH being mainstream or not. But, I do know from my experience at the Chicago Con ( i.e. the Moondog PH collection), that there was a feeding frenzy by dealers and collectors for those books. Other nice PH issues in dealer's stocks (if they had any), flew out the window. There are definitely many more interested parties out there after nice condition PH books other than the boardies that post and read this thread.

I am looking back (not too hard doh! ) a couple of years ago at the local Yorba Linda Con (Terry's Comics con) where I sold 5 copies of early VG/FN to FN copies of raw JIM PH books...inclusive of Hulk issues 62 and 66...to Harley Yee for $200 bucks... :tonofbricks:

Guess I was trying to make a friend that day...

Bought the entire 50-82 raw set along with 9 JIM issues pre issue 50 from ZZutak here on the boards and read them all and started to sell them off...a few I sent to CGC for grading and they came back a grade or grade-plus above Jay's conservative grading...none of this will ever has any affect on my current thinking or love for the hobby...my attitude, if the books I sold made someone a profit or some buyer/collector happy...that is cool by me...

It's a cool book and I have a tough time being sad about what it sold for. It indicates a continuing solid market for pre-hero comics.

:gossip: Which are awesome, but that goes without saying.

PreHeroGroupSmall.jpg

I think you're misinterpreting me. I'm saying its too bad I didn't bid higher (and that I presume that even if I had it wouldn't have helped). I really like that issue personally.

Those are all your white mountains, right? That pic is incredible (thumbs u

Those are all your white mountains, right? That pic is incredible (thumbs u

Those are some of my WMs. Two of those pictured aren't pedigrees.

One of my favorite JIM covers.

photo JIM67.jpg

This is a great cover for the following discussion...re the final artwork which is a collaboration.

Ditko or Kirby does the pencils...the "art".

They or others do the inking...most always others. Think assembly line...

Someone else presumably does the colors.

Who decides the colors...did the original artist do a colored "pencil" and they dictated the colors or was there some other formula and handled by someone else? Was Lee involved?