• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,038 posts in this topic

A low grade TTA #4 is currently for sale at a LCS. (Legend Comics in Omaha)

It's a tough book, so I thought I'd mention it.

IMO the toughest Marvel pre-hero from 1959-up, but your mileage may vary. It would be interesting to do a poll on that, or at least pose the question (though I'm sure it has been discussed before, but not in my memory). I'm biased to TOS and TTA slightly because I've been collecting them longest, but my top five toughest would probably be:

TTA #4 (hands down, both in grade and simply finding one)

AAF #8 (certainly in grade it is a bear)

TTA #14 (took me forever to find one)

TOS #6

TOS #10

ST #70 also needs a mention here, as my brother has been looking for a decent copy for like 20 years.

Of course that list could easily change. What's your list?

IMO the toughest Marvel pre-hero from 1959-up, but your mileage may vary. It would be interesting to do a poll on that, or at least pose the question (though I'm sure it has been discussed before, but not in my memory). I'm biased to TOS and TTA slightly because I've been collecting them longest, but my top five toughest would probably be:

TOS #6

TOS #10

ST #70 also needs a mention here, as my brother has been looking for a decent copy for like 20 years.

I agree with your list....all hard to find comics. I really like the ST 70 cover. :cloud9:

2012-12-09172954.jpg[/img]

For whatever reason I seem to see a fair bit of JIM #54-55 around, but of course they're always pricey in any sort of reasonable grade.

I'm interested to see lists from other chasers of pre-hero to see what they think is tough. I'm sure that there are books that I wouldn't think of because for whatever reason I either lucked into a copy and stopped looking for it, or maybe regionally availability would have differed for some reason. So a book that was plentiful around Chicago (where I did all of my early pre-internet searching) may have been tough elsewhere. Of course if you aren't near a major city or con ANY of these books could be awful to find...

TOS #6

TOS #10

TOS6.jpg

TOS10.jpg

AmazAdult8.jpg

TOS #6

TOS #10

Tough to narrow to 5 toughest, but over the years I felt that these are some of the most difficult to locate in top grade:

JIM 55

TOS 4 - seem to almost always have marvel chipping

TOS 20

TTA 11

ST 74

adding 5 more for a top ten would be:

JIM 60

ST 70, 76

TOS 10

TTA 22

Bronty, killer TTA 3. Great pickup!!