• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,038 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 4:19 PM, Frisco Larson said:

A few new additions on the way! I had no American copy of this one, only a low grade La Prensa copy.

Journey Into Mystery 57 5.0 w front.jpg

That's my old copy :headbang:

Glad it found a great home!

-bc

On 5/16/2024 at 4:29 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Well that just makes if even BETTER!!! :banana: Keeps it in our little thread family! :headbang:

Indeed :cloud9:

For what its worth, both that book and a ST65 4.5 both went for my estimates (you got a better deal than the the other guy Frisco :)). Hopefully that holds up for the upcoming Featured Auction :wishluck:

-bc

On 5/16/2024 at 3:34 PM, bc said:

Indeed :cloud9:

For what its worth, both that book and a ST65 4.5 both went for my estimates (you got a better deal than the the other guy Frisco :)). Hopefully that holds up for the upcoming Featured Auction :wishluck:

-bc

I was just looking thru the upcoming auction and wondered if maybe some of those comics were yours. There are some VERY high-grade PHM books starting tonight! 

On 5/16/2024 at 5:04 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I was just looking thru the upcoming auction and wondered if maybe some of those comics were yours. There are some VERY high-grade PHM books starting tonight! 

All but 2 PHMs in that auction are mine.

-bc

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 5:44 PM, bc said:

Quick Monster Market Report - Summer 2024 Edition

I consigned 92 PHM's to ComicLink in early April.

2 were in the April Monthly Auction
90 were in the recent Featured Auction*

* Josh, Jason & Jon from Clink and I had a fairly lengthy discussion at their HQ about the best way to maximize the potential value. Jon & I were hesitant to put a large quantity in a single auction due to the limited audience compared to the superhero base. Josh suggested that the books be segmented over the individual 5 comic book sessions in the Featured auction because of the increased traffic those generate. After a little more discussion, I agreed with the plan. When I reviewed the pre-auction posting, I had to admit they did a great job segmenting the books. 

(Side note: At first, I wasn't sure if I could watch the auctions happen live without losing my mind if something went bad. It required several pints of liquid courage every night to survive the stress :cheers:).

Very happy to report that the PHM market is healthy (thumbsu

Average number of bids per book was 26. Highest number of bids was 53. I bought a lot of these books from CLink over decades and don't remember seeing that many bids. Leads me to believe there is still a solid collector base.

After the final hammer last night, I'm happy to report that I will have to claim some extra income on my taxes next year. With all the doom and gloom about the health of the market on the boards, I set my sights at just breaking even with my investment and finding a new steward for the books.

Most Unexpected Result: Tales of Suspense 31 CGC 9.0 went for more than double my expectations. Not sure if that's related to any of the upcoming Marvel FF movie hype (since people think that TOS31 is a Dr. Doom prototype), but I'm not complaining.

Of the 92 slabs sold, only @Frisco Larson asked for a Registry change so far (literally right after the hammer dropped by the way :) ). Guess less people use that feature than I expected.

The 3 Berk books got the love they deserve. Pedigrees all held up strong. :cloud9:

I did lose some on a few books that I chased when they were the single highest graded (10+ years ago), but some of the generic run fillers did way better than expected (I'm looking at you TTA25, AAF10, ST66, etc.).

Overall, the experience has been 4 stars and exceeded my expectations.

Our little genre is still kickin' azz :headbang:
-bc

lol Um, well ... sort of. It ended the 13th, removed from your set the 17th, added to mine the 18th. I can't believe it took Knuckles and Rocco so many days to brow beat you into releasing it!!! lol Thanks for the book pal!!! It means more coming from your collection!!! So, what's next for you, ceramic pandas? hm

Journey Into Mystery 57 5.0 w front.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 6/5/2024 at 7:49 PM, Frisco Larson said:

lol Um, well ... sort of. It ended the 13th, removed from your set the 17th, added to mine the 18th. I can't believe it took Knuckles and Rocco so many days to brow beat you into releasing it!!! lol Thanks for the book pal!!! It means more coming from your collection!!! So, what's next for you, ceramic pandas? hm

I was just exaggerating buddy :)

And thanks to Knuckles & Rocco for helping me find my checkbook :roflmao:

Actually, going to go totally boring next - just adding this to my retirement funds.

-bc

On 6/5/2024 at 6:56 PM, bc said:

I was just exaggerating buddy :)

And thanks to Knuckles & Rocco for helping me find my checkbook :roflmao:

Actually, going to go totally boring next - just adding this to my retirement funds.

-bc

I know pal, but I wanted to play too!!! :cheers:

I'm SO glad you got the reference! 

Maybe you could take up golf?  :wink:  :headbang:

dangerfield.jpg