• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Not sure what a Portsmouth copy is but I like it:

StrT_96_PortsmouthCopy.jpg

The Portsmouth collection is also known as the R.J. Long collection....about 2000 books from 1954-1964.....7.0 to 9.4....stored in hat boxes and apple crates by the original owner. Many had non color breaking curls and waves from storage conditions. It had a CGC 9.2 ASM # 1 that sold way back in one of Heritage's first auctions. The guy walked into my friend's store with a couple of apple boxes full of mostly westerns. He told him he had quite a few more and my buddy agreed to look at them. Most of the Marvel keys were there as well as many of the D.C.'s. Real nice books....I had about 10 of the monster books at one time...but traded or sold them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Not sure what a Portsmouth copy is but I like it:

StrT_96_PortsmouthCopy.jpg

The Portsmouth collection is also known as the R.J. Long collection....about 2000 books from 1954-1964.....7.0 to 9.4....stored in hat boxes and apple crates by the original owner. Many had non color breaking curls and waves from storage conditions. It had a CGC 9.2 ASM # 1 that sold way back in one of Heritage's first auctions. The guy walked into my friend's store with a couple of apple boxes full of mostly westerns. He told him he had quite a few more and my buddy agreed to look at them. Most of the Marvel keys were there as well as many of the D.C.'s. Real nice books....I had about 10 of the monster books at one time...but traded or sold them. GOD BLESS...

I own a Portsmouth Copy of G.I. Combat 98. It is a beautiful copy and I have the certificate from Amazing Fantasy comics. The unfortunate thing is that when I submitted the book for grading CGC did not recognize it as a pedigree.

Edited by crimson dynamo

The ones that I miss the most are probably the MIS 75 that would've pressed into a 9.6, and TTA 31 and JIM 78....both probably 9.0. Those books from that collection usually have amazing gloss. GOD BLESS...

Rich,

Thanks for putting up the favorite cover contest on monster books. The one thing I learned is that nobody likes the covers I like. ???

Andrew,

Glad you're participating in + enjoying the contest. Its been alot of fun for me as well. Instead of being upset that the popular vote doesn't match your personal favorites, I'd rejoice + revel in it. Those covers are YOUR covers + what speaks to you + your esthetic. Its like having a favorite band that is relatively unknown or TV show. Eff the validation of popularity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sumo::censored::slapfight: