• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

lol

Fun. Here's a few more.

"Treetaa"

"Wuud"

"Roott"

"Luumbar"

I say we forward these to Marvel and demand a new prehero series!! If 12 of us write them that will equal the readership on some of their current titles. :idea:

lol

This old CBG ad from 1977 is going to make you ill. I don't know why I did not jump on these at the time. :cry:

photo CBGAD-2_zps688fe5c5.jpg

Well, if it's any consolation, they probably weren't really VF/NM. :D

Yup, yesterday's VF/NM is probably today's F/VF or worse. At least that's what we're hoping!! :wishluck:

This old CBG ad from 1977 is going to make you ill. I don't know why I did not jump on these at the time. :cry:

Yup, yesterday's VF/NM is probably today's F/VF or worse. At least that's what we're hoping!! :wishluck:

.....30 bucks was a LOT of money in '77.......you could get real nice single digit ASM's and FF's for that....and that's what everyone was collecting. A high grade X-men 1 was gettable for 30. Terry's still in business today....he's one dealer I'd like to see an in depth "over the years" interview done on. I wonder if Vinny's done the treatment on him on the Comic Zone radio show.....awesome and ARCHIVED at www.metropoliscomics.com ....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

.....30 bucks was a LOT of money in '77.......you could get real nice single digit ASM's and FF's for that....and that's what everyone was collecting. A high grade X-men 1 was gettable for 30. Terry's still in business today....he's one dealer I'd like to see an in depth "over the years" interview done on. I wonder if Vinny's done the treatment on him on the Comic Zone radio show.....awesome and ARCHIVED at www.metropoliscomics.com ....GOD BLESS...

I sold my ASM 1-50 set in 1971 (the #1 was the GRR copy) for $65 bucks... :o I had a somewhat tertiary friend who was bugging/badgering the s h i t e out of me for weeks :censored: ...I think I sold it to him just to get him off my back...oh yeah, and probably needed some cash to buy some weed... :insane:lol

I sold my ASM 1-50 set in 1971 (the #1 was the GRR copy) for $65 bucks... :o I had a somewhat tertiary friend who was bugging/badgering the s h i t e out of me for weeks :censored: ...I think I sold it to him just to get him off my back...oh yeah, and probably needed some cash to buy some weed... :insane:lol [

$25-30 was indeed a lot of cash to fork out for a comic in 1977. Especially, when us ordinary folk were schleping along for 6 or 7 bucks an hour.

....I was tossing Pizzas for $2.35, (and having my heart broken by Patty Quinn)......but all I could eat for free.....GOD BLESS....

I sold my ASM 1-50 set in 1971 (the #1 was the GRR copy) for $65 bucks... :o I had a somewhat tertiary friend who was bugging/badgering the s h i t e out of me for weeks :censored: ...I think I sold it to him just to get him off my back...oh yeah, and probably needed some cash to buy some weed... :insane:lol [

Those prices seem kind of high for pre-heros in '77 - I would imagine that those grades would have had to be remarkable to command such a price for the time. Up until the early 90's, you could still find very respectfully graded pre-hero's in the dollar bin at conventions.

man what dollar bins were you looking in! well maybe that was true in your area. Up here in Canada it was never that easy to find early SA even then and certainly not in the dollar bin.

Well, most of the pre-heros that you would find in the dollar bin were pretty beat-up, but once in a great while you would find a rare VF/VF+ gem hidden in the mix.

man what dollar bins were you looking in! well maybe that was true in your area. Up here in Canada it was never that easy to find early SA even then and certainly not in the dollar bin.

Well, most of the pre-heros that you would find in the dollar bin were pretty beat-up, but once in a great while you would find a rare VF/VF+ gem hidden in the mix.

.....so true. depended on the dealer. A show in '74 had a few dozen different ones in strict VF or better in the 5 dollar a piece range. I was impressed by them but passed and bought 9.0 copies of X Men 1 and JIM 85 for 5 dollars each. You could get a lot for 5 dollars back then.....but you had to keep it on the down-low....to avoid mocking and ridicule lol GOD BLESS...

.....so true. depended on the dealer. A show in '74 had a few dozen different ones in strict VF or better in the 5 dollar a piece range. I was impressed by them but passed and bought 9.0 copies of X Men 1 and JIM 85 for 5 dollars each. You could get a lot for 5 dollars back then.....but you had to keep it on the down-low....to avoid mocking and ridicule lol GOD BLESS...

I bought my X-Men 1 (eventually graded 7.0 CGC) second-hand at the old downtown Torrance Bookstore (where I bought all of my used books at the time) circa 1967 for something like $3 bucks...this would've been one of the special "behind the counter/display" books...bear in mind all the FN-ish second hand books we mostly concentrated on were 6 to 8-cents apiece... :insane: LESS than purchase price! :o

I bought my X-Men 1 (eventually graded 7.0 CGC) second-hand at the old downtown Torrance Bookstore (where I bought all of my used books at the time) circa 1967 for something like $3 bucks...this would've been one of the special "behind the counter/display" books...bear in mind all the FN-ish second hand books we mostly concentrated on were 6 to 8-cents apiece... :insane: LESS than purchase price! :o

.....the guy wanted $ 11 each for the two books, but it was the end of the show and 10 bucks was a large Pizza and a full tank of gas back then. X-Men was dead in the water back then.....Wolverine and the gang were still several months in the future.....the only X's that sold then were the Steranko or Adams issues. I had never even really seen the monster issues outside of the picture frame reprints, and was certainly struck by that many of them.....I was actually mesmerized but broke free from their spell. I was more focused back then. I also bought Hulk 2-6 at that same show for $ 30 as a group.....the 6 was real nice. Even then Hulk 1 was very tough....it had sold to a dealer before the show opened. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

Hard to believe that this 8.5 JIM # 67 remains the highest graded copy. When I bought it, I had no idea of it's rarity in HG.

photo JIM67.jpg

Here is my TOS #1, deciding whether "to slab or not to slab, that is the question".

TALE SUSP 1 photo TOS1.jpg