• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

I've always liked red covers and I don't think that there's a redder pre-hero than this AAF8.

AmazAdult8.jpg

I've always liked red covers and I don't think that there's a redder pre-hero than this AAF8.

True 'nuff. However, I'd enjoy seeing a side-by-side comparison with a similarly pristine Uncanny Tales #48. Buehler? Buehler? :hi:

Best I can do is a River City. :sorry:

Not that it matters since UT48 is an Atlas issue :baiting:

UncannyTales48_zpse37e773e.jpg

A great cover - the biggest Atlas monster of all time.

aa_06.jpg

Looks a bit like the Thing from FF#1, I always thought.

Except Sserpo could kick the Thing's azz!!!!! :sumo:

.....same inker.....George Klein. He was tapped to be Curt Swan's Superman inker around this time and left Marvel. Weisinger the editor had the habit of throwing artists who freelanced for other companys out of a 14th floor window....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A great cover - the biggest Atlas monster of all time.

aa_06.jpg

Looks a bit like the Thing from FF#1, I always thought.

Except Sserpo could kick the Thing's azz!!!!! :sumo:

Funny thing that struck me when I saw the American version of GODZILLA (known as GINO - Godzilla In Name Only to Japanese monster movie purists) - the origin of GINO in the film shows him growing/mutating in size as he swims underwater - and its almost panel-for-panel the same way that Kirby depicts SSERPO growing & mutating. Maybe Jack should have got a screen credit!

Another post-code Atlas group shot. This time, it's the World of Fantasy/Mystery/Suspense runs, which includes one Bethlehem copy, eleven Circle 8 copies, seventeen Eastern Color File copies (still raw), and seven non-pedigreed copies. The WOF #17 and #18 are my own off-the-spinner-rack copies. If only I could turn back the clock ......

:foryou:

th_WOF05-80-C8.jpg th_WOF05-75-C8.jpg th_WOF06-90-C8.jpg th_WOF06-85-C8.jpg th_WOF07-90-C8.jpg th_WOF07-85-C8.jpg th_WOF12-85.jpg

th_WOF14-65.jpg th_WOF16-80.jpg th_WOF17-75.jpg th_WOF18-55.jpg th_WOM05-94-C8.jpg th_WOM06-85.jpg th_WOM07-80-C8.jpg

th_WOS05-75-Beth.jpg th_WOS05-75-C8.jpg th_WOS06-75-C8.jpg th_WOS07-75.jpg th_WOS08-70-C8.jpg

th_WOF001-EC.jpg th_WOF002-EC.jpg th_WOF003-EC.jpg th_WOF005-EC.jpg th_WOF007-EC.jpg th_WOF010-EC.jpg

th_WOF011-EC.jpg th_WOF013-EC.jpg th_WOF015-EC.jpg th_WOM001-EC.jpg th_WOM002-EC.jpg th_WOM004-EC.jpg th_WOM005-EC.jpg

th_WOS002-EC.jpg th_WOS003-EC.jpg th_WOS005-EC.jpg th_WOS008-EC.jpg

My personal favorites are WOF #11 (Everett), WOM #1 (Everett), and WOS #1 (Maneely):

WOF013-EC.jpg

WOM001-EC.jpg

WOS002-EC.jpg

:acclaim:

Awesome books Jay, pity about the punch holes, just been posting about that in another thread.

WOM #1 is such a great cover, my copy is very low grade and it nice to see a lovely copy.