• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

:o(worship)

Great set of books! I might add the WOF 12 to the "best of" list as I love the marvelous detail work of the machinery.

Awesome books Jay, pity about the punch holes, just been posting about that in another thread.

Thanks, Kev. They're probably the freshest low-grade copies in existence. lol The TOS #1 from this collection was certified as a qualified 9.2 shortly after CGC came online. Aside from the holes, it was darn near perfect. It probably has something to do with when I began collecting (which is well before grades and/or valuations were a consideration), but I've always loved them every bit as much as my River City and White Mountain copies.

TTA001-EC.jpg

TTA002-EC.jpg

TTA003-EC.jpg

:luhv:

Great set of books! I might add the WOF 12 to the "best of" list as I love the marvelous detail work of the machinery.

Thanks, Alan. It's pretty high up on my list as well! (thumbs u

WOF12-85.jpg

Thanks, Alan. It's pretty high up on my list as well! (thumbs u

WOF12-85.jpg

That is a great cover. In addition to Maneely, I can only guess at the great monster covers that Everett would have pulled off!

Awesome books Jay, pity about the punch holes, just been posting about that in another thread.

Thanks, Kev. They're probably the freshest low-grade copies in existence. lol The TOS #1 from this collection was certified as a qualified 9.2 shortly after CGC came online. Aside from the holes, it was darn near perfect. It probably has something to do with when I began collecting (which is well before grades and/or valuations were a consideration), but I've always loved them every bit as much as my River City and White Mountain copies.

TTA001-EC.jpg

TTA #1 is still on my wants list and thats the best copy I have ever seen, I am relying on one of your sales in the future to get me a copy :makepoint: albeit a pale comparison to this gem.

TTA001-EC.jpg

:cloud9:

A numeric grade is not adequate to express the beauty of that copy.

I always preferred the creature design of Gargantas that Kirby used on ST 80 over the Mick Jagger version on the 85. This scan is old and smaller than my latest ones but Photobucket seems to have decided to shrink it further. rantrant

ST_85_zps17cda350.jpg

My favorite pre-FF#1 cover!

JIM_58a.jpg

When did you buy all these books??? Before people were interested in them? The grades on them all look sick! Real nice stuff bro!

Thanks! I bought a lot of my pre-heros in the early 90s - just before the prototype craze got underway. Most of my pre-heros are from the Winnipeg collection (bought before it became a pedigree).

My favorite pre-FF#1 cover!

JIM_58a.jpg

When did you buy all these books??? Before people were interested in them? The grades on them all look sick! Real nice stuff bro!

Thanks! I bought a lot of my pre-heros in the early 90s - just before the prototype craze got underway. Most of my pre-heros are from the Winnipeg collection (bought before it became a pedigree).

Smart man.....my best Pre-Hero's were purchased at the '91 SD comicon from Oakleaf....TOS 10, 11, 13 beauties....some day I'll slab em in CGC holders.

Does anyone know what happened with the cover coloring between the early and late issues?? If we look at that beautiful tos6 posted above, the thing from the swamp has been beautifully watercolored. Flas forward to the later issues - say #31 on... and they are much flatter in comparison. Not only is there less contrast but also that beautiful watercoloring is gone and we really dont see it from that point on.... on neither the late PH books nor the early hero books .

The change away from the watercolor/ wash technique is part of it but I feel like there is something else I cant put my finger on....

Overall though I feel the earlier covers tend to have better coloring than the late ph and hero books. Thoughts?

Does anyone know what happened with the cover coloring between the early and late issues?? If we look at that beautiful tos6 posted above, the thing from the swamp has been beautifully watercolored. Flas forward to the later issues - say #31 on... and they are much flatter in comparison. Not only is there less contrast but also that beautiful watercoloring is gone and we really dont see it from that point on.... on neither the late PH books nor the early hero books .

I've included links below to TOS and TTA galleries on GCD that allow you to see the runs as a whole. TTA has a big drop off in color design quality after issue 10 but TOS seems more consistent throughout. I do feel that Jack got tired of monsters as time went on and that his later covers are not as good. Perhaps that affected the colorist as well?

I've never thought that much of Marvel's color design in the 1956 - 1964 timeframe and consider it inferior to DCs. I know that Marie Severin started her career at Marvel as a colorist but not sure when that was and whether it was her or someone else working during the early SA. Her work at EC is absolutely superb, especially 1954-1955, but I don't know that she ever hit that same level later in her career.

http://www.comics.org/series/1442/covers/

http://www.comics.org/series/1443/covers/