• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

Some sweet STs I just picked up. In general, I've had great difficulty picking up STs in this grade due to all the usual reasons. Very pleased with these:

st88_zps0b1d27a4.jpg

st94_zps5246c22a.jpg

Sweet Rich! How many PHs in your collection now? You'll have to do a group shot one of these days! :o

Can't compete with Rich's books, but here are a couple I just got back from CGC. These have been in my collection a long time and I just got around to getting them slabbed.

TTA28CGC.jpg

TTA30CGC.jpg

....very tightly graded...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Can't compete with Rich's books, but here are a couple I just got back from CGC. These have been in my collection a long time and I just got around to getting them slabbed.

....very tightly graded...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Can't argue there, my whole sub was tightly graded. I had four other books that came in 1-2 grades lower than I thought. A lot of 8.5-9.0s that look every bit as good as many 9.2-9.4s I own.

^ ugh, so not what I want to hear having just sent them books for the first time in 10 years :facepalm: Sorry to hear, Art.

I sent them a mid grade TOS 3 I posted a while back along with some of these moondog books.. TOS 15, ST 89 and 97 and one other PH book that I can't recall at the moment. Maybe it was TOS 16.

I hope their grading is considerably looser by then :);) I want to hear comments like "I have 8.0s that look every bit as good as these 9.6s Bronty just got back" lol "White pages? I've seen better pages marked Tan!" "How is that book a 9.4?" etc :insane:

^ ugh, so not what I want to hear having just sent them books for the first time in 10 years :facepalm: Sorry to hear, Art.

I sent them a mid grade TOS 3 I posted a while back along with some of these moondog books.. TOS 15, ST 89 and 97 and one other PH book that I can't recall at the moment. Maybe it was TOS 16.

I hope their grading is considerably looser by then :);) I want to hear comments like "I have 8.0s that look every bit as good as these 9.6s Bronty just got back" lol "White pages? I've seen better pages marked Tan!" "How is that book a 9.4?" etc :insane:

lol I'm waiting to hear on those Chicago books, the TOS #32 from Dale and two more beauties from Gary's collection, so I'm right there with you. I'm hoping I have the grade on the #32 middle of next week.

I'll cross my fingers for a 9.8 TOS 32 on the registry! :D

lol I wish! If the upper spine corner wasn't dinged it is pretty enough to have a 9 in front. I'm hoping for a 7.5-8.0 and would be beyond thrilled with that.

Not one of my favorite covers...but up for grabs in the August CLINK Auction is the highest graded JIM 52 at 9.2 :o ...next closest grade is two 8.5s...only 8 total graded copies...a very tough book in grade indeed! :cloud9:

JIM5292_zps802ca9bb.jpg

In the most predictable news ever my 3k loser bid got beat today with a day left. I really think this particular book will go nuts. Guesses? I am going to say $6500, maybe more. Is that a little bit crazy? Sure. But its early, its top census, its a very kirby cover, heck its a very "JIM" cover... throw a small thor on there and it could be one of the hero covers, its a tough tough book, it looks the grade, the PQ is terrific... there's so much to like about it.

Other guesses?

Not one of my favorite covers...but up for grabs in the August CLINK Auction is the highest graded JIM 52 at 9.2 :o ...next closest grade is two 8.5s...only 8 total graded copies...a very tough book in grade indeed! :cloud9:

JIM5292_zps802ca9bb.jpg

In the most predictable news ever my 3k loser bid got beat today with a day left. I really think this particular book will go nuts. Guesses? I am going to say $6500, maybe more. Is that a little bit crazy? Sure. But its early, its top census, its a very kirby cover, heck its a very "JIM" cover... throw a small thor on there and it could be one of the hero covers, its a tough tough book, it looks the grade, the PQ is terrific... there's so much to like about it.

Other guesses?

Just an incredible copy. I wonder who is selling it?

I agree with your 6.0 to 7.0K prediction.

Every time I've paid what I thought was strong money for a pre-hero book I've also looked back on that purchase 2-3 years later and was glad I did it. Quality examples are never cheap, the satisfaction of ownership is high, and the market continues to be very good on these.

well, that can be dangerous talk, there IS such a thing as overpaying, and they can be tough to sell if you want to unload a bunch at once without weakening the market. But as you say for the most part we all seem to want to hang on to them. You're right that they are very satisfying to own. Getting a nice one actually feels like something a little bit meaningful and special as opposed to the hero books we see every 10 minutes.

well, that can be dangerous talk, there IS such a thing as overpaying, and they can be tough to sell if you want to unload a bunch at once without weakening the market. But as you say for the most part we all seem to want to hang on to them. You're right that they are very satisfying to own. Getting a nice one actually feels like something a little bit meaningful and special as opposed to the hero books we see every 10 minutes.

I was speaking strictly for myself in that post, not as a general assessment of the market or anything. I know you can overpay for these, and I see it all the time. They can also be tough to sell because they are something of a niche market still, but can you imagine the competition if these ever get mainstream?