• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

:gossip: The #5 is a White Mountian!

..... I won't hold that against it. Just pack it securely like you usually do. I can hardly wait to get it :cloud9: ........all kidding aside, Bill....... how about some backstory ? How did you manage to be in the right place at the right time...... especially with Adamstrange being the acquisition machine that he can be and who was also actively pursuing the WM's ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've never been exclusively focused on one collecting goal so while I was sometimes in the right place at the right time there were plenty of times when I was in the wrong place and books went to others. I have also, on occasion, traded copies and, even, if you'll check the latest c-connect auction, sold one.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=534921

ST68cgctiny.jpg

ST68.jpg

Finding a strong bid. Nice to see.

This did well (did it land where expected?).

Anyone know what the record sales price is for a pre-hero Marvel book?

The biggest I recall is a 9.0 TOS #1 that sold for a little over $10k. The highest graded ST 97 sold for $8k or so and there's been one 9.8 copy of a different issue that sold for over $5k but I don't recall the exact price.

The result on the ST 68 exceeded my expectations.

The biggest I recall is a 9.0 TOS #1 that sold for a little over $10k. The highest graded ST 97 sold for $8k or so and there's been one 9.8 copy of a different issue that sold for over $5k but I don't recall the exact price.

Thanks for this info.

I seem to recall a TOS 1 in the 8.0-8.5 range that went for 5K+ recently also.

The ST 97 was 7200

the 9.8 was TTA30 IIRC. I think that went around 10k?

TTA 3 9.6 also sold for 11k or so.

The ST 97 was 7200

It was the TTA #30, but I seem to remember more like $4K and being quite surprised. Maybe I misremembered.

No way was it that low..

Or if it was I am seriously misremembering myself.

My recollection was $6k but I could be off. :blush:

I would be surprised it was $11k as I have a notion that it somewhat underperformed because it wasn't a strong cover.

It did underperform - for sure - but relative to what? The asking price before the auction had been 30k lol

One of us must have the book in our clink bid history?

Edited by Bronty

FWIW, I think it underperformed not just because its an okay rather than a great cover, but also because its simply a late run issue. Its more common in high grade and just feels less special than if it was a high grade #5 or #6 or even #10 or #20

At this point I'd think the 9.4 TTA #13 would shatter all records if it came up for sale.

That's actually a really interesting question - what would an ultra hg TTA 13 sell for - because my sense is that the lower end of the market on that book is much more solid than the high end. I'm not sure anyone would want to risk those kind of absolute dollars on a movie hyped book that has yet to prove itself long term.

I think it would do very very well and yeah I'd say it would set a record. But maybe not by that much. I think the absolute dollars involved would drag down what it "should" be worth.

I'd also love to see what a 9.4 strange tales 89 would get. I think that would get a record too and it would be interesting to see if it would be more or less than TTA 13. I'm going to say more.

High census is only 9.0 but red hood has a copy that looks 9.4

The ST 97 was 7200

It was the TTA #30, but I seem to remember more like $4K and being quite surprised. Maybe I misremembered.

It was exactly 4K and not a penny more. It had a date stamp on the front cover and had been in a previous auction a year earlier at a much lower grade.

I don't think there was a reserve. The book sold for sure at 4K.

I have noticed that recycled pressers [books that come back to auction immediately after being pressed up] often do not do well.

But considering the grade bump (it had been a 9.2 or 9.4, I think), the seller/presser still did very well.